HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:37 PM
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Hi,

Have any one tried flying this thing without the cowl to check if cooling is the real issue that motors are getting burnt up ?
chessgame is offline Find More Posts by chessgame
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2010, 08:50 PM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgonyOfDefeat View Post
Maidened my HK Yak 54 this w/e. Everything stock, zero wind, I babied this plane around the field purposely taking it easy on the problem prone motor.

For about five minutes I tried unsuccessfully to obtain "reasonable" level flight characteristics. I know the Yak is a 3D flyer but this plane wanted to FALL, not float. How do you bring a plane in for a landing that won't fly level? When you bring the nose down ever so slightly the plane drops unexpectedly and when you nudge up on the elevator the nose wants to point straight up.
How did you have your elevator servo horns connected?
I ask this because I had the same experience... I connected them 'tight' on the outer (or second) holes on the horns on the servo. I think the servos are 'crude' (limited resolution) so I have moved everything in to favor the elevator (make the servos work harder)... i.e. middle hole on the servo horn, and moved the 'connector' out on the elevator horn to get throws ....
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho
Last edited by ukgroucho; Aug 11, 2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:47 AM
United States, GA, Thomasville
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
As usual, I connect the servo horns using the second the end hole. I also center the servos by turning on the system and moving the servo arm to center, making adjustments mechanically to the servo linkage before fine tuning with the Sub Trim feature on the Tx.
AgonyOfDefeat is offline Find More Posts by AgonyOfDefeat
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:04 AM
United States, GA, Thomasville
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
HK Yak 54 Money Pit?

Is the Hobby King Yak 54 a money pit? I started doing the math and I'm starting to question my purchase.

HK Yak 54: I paid $179 (now the price is $159)

Five minute flight then motor craps out (I was babying the motor at half throttle.)

Now I need to spend another $120+ on new motor, ESC, 5C LiPo, etc.

And at the end of the day, I still don't know how well this plane is going to fly.

There are a lot of nice, reliable ARF planes for sale in this category for less than $300.

"Stupid is as stupid does" indicates that a person is judged stupid by the stupid acts he commits.
AgonyOfDefeat is offline Find More Posts by AgonyOfDefeat
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:56 AM
Lyon FRANCE
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
Hello
I have just assembled Emax 2826/06 with a propeller of 12 X 6
measurements in statics give

46 Amp for 700 Watt

Tomorrow if time allows it I test in flight
jackalex69 is offline Find More Posts by jackalex69
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:55 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
you can get this plane cheaper with a 6cell lipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgonyOfDefeat View Post
Is the Hobby King Yak 54 a money pit? I started doing the math and I'm starting to question my purchase.

HK Yak 54: I paid $179 (now the price is $159)

Five minute flight then motor craps out (I was babying the motor at half throttle.)

Now I need to spend another $120+ on new motor, ESC, 5C LiPo, etc.

And at the end of the day, I still don't know how well this plane is going to fly.

There are a lot of nice, reliable ARF planes for sale in this category for less than $300.

"Stupid is as stupid does" indicates that a person is judged stupid by the stupid acts he commits.
hi, check out this web site http://www.throttlestore.com/planes/..._.aspx?lang=EN, they have this plane with a Powerful 6S 20C 2650 mAh brushless Li-Po set-up for €199.00 -163/$256, if you are located in the europe its free delivery, from hk you need to add delivery on the price and a lipo, i love hobbyking.com but nothing beats this price,

also it states its the second edition, this might mean it has a new motor/esc to hobbykings. what do you think??
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Last edited by brett1984; Aug 11, 2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:43 PM
Caribbean
Joined Jul 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1984 View Post
hi, check out this web site http://www.throttlestore.com/planes/..._.aspx?lang=EN, they have this plane with a Powerful 6S 20C 2650 mAh brushless Li-Po set-up for 199.00 -163/$256, if you are located in the europe its free delivery, from hk you need to add delivery on the price and a lipo, i love hobbyking.com but nothing beats this price,

also it states its the second edition, this might mean it has a new motor/esc to hobbykings. what do you think??
Wow! a second generation? What this means is that we have to wait longer for users to test this with the newer motor, ESC and bigger battery. Sounds like a pretty penny to upgrade the electrics if you have the version 1. The thing is that no-one had the plane working long enough to get any substantial reports on it's flight characteristics, especially for 3D flight. I will ponder on my possible alternative while I await some news of this new version ... sigh.
zmantaz is offline Find More Posts by zmantaz
Old Aug 11, 2010, 02:47 PM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
Did another couple of pottering around flights this evening to test the different elevator setup. Better but still not as easy to land as I would like (maybe that's just me). Getting the right approach speed and bringing it down gently is a bit of a challenge. It rolls and loops beautifully at even modest throttle settings.

The bad news is that even after 5 mins of low throttle work the motor is super hot. Either it needs more air flow or it is simply over-taxed with the 14x7 prop.

I can easily imagine burning it up if you gave 5 mins of more spirited flying.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 03:57 PM
Ignint McNugget
behind Jaggi lines
Joined Jan 2004
907 Posts
Does anyone know if the empty airframe is available without the electronics (and preferably in the US)?
Rumple is offline Find More Posts by Rumple
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:41 AM
Joined Aug 2008
49 Posts
Would this motor fit ?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp

Anyone to comment?
chessgame is offline Find More Posts by chessgame
Old Aug 13, 2010, 04:24 AM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
That's just an index link - does not show a specific motor.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 03:34 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,682 Posts
Sub'd
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:10 PM
It's over 9000!!!
San Luis Obispo
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
Just got my order in!

I just got my order in from HK and my new TX! I will be building / watt metering tonight with various props and hopefully be RTF by 8:00AM tomorrow morning!

Woooo!

Will get pictures and videos capture of build, testing, maiden hopefully posted tomorrow night.

This is what my face looks like right now ------>
Trexid is offline Find More Posts by Trexid
Last edited by Trexid; Aug 13, 2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:47 PM
Caribbean
Joined Jul 2010
68 Posts
Cool Trexid. I just ordered a DX7 too. Can hardly wait for it.

That is one HUGE motor in your hand - planning on reaching the moon? lol. Are you sure you're gonna sleep tonight? haha, we men and our toys.

I like the setup you have, and hopefully it would transform this bird to a beast.

A word of caution - regardless of what tests you do on the ground, take it easy for your first few flights, breaking in the motor (yeah, brushless even) and keep it around 5 minutes max, then check the temperature to the touch. Give us photos and videos when you can.

After you have completed your testing and slouch into the sofa, breathing a sigh of relief having made a good purchase on the electrics, reminiscing the power and sheer beauty that beheld you in the sky a few hours ago, I want you to add up all the parts and give me a final figure of what was spent.

If I have to buy this yak I would want these same electrics assuming that they work out good for you, but I don't have an overall costing yet.

Anyway, congrats, and good luck with the motor, and your programmable Tx. That yak might be so powerful that you really need to use dual rates or expo on the DX7
zmantaz is offline Find More Posts by zmantaz
Old Aug 13, 2010, 07:51 PM
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
You'll need one of these if you want to get to the moon

flythreedee is offline Find More Posts by flythreedee