SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:04 PM
United States, GA, Thomasville
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
I have my Hobby King Yak 54 built and ready to go but this information is concerning, pre-maiden. I am anxious to hear how the Turnigy 50-55B 600kv performs -- somebody's gotta be the Guinea pig here unfortunately.
AgonyOfDefeat is offline Find More Posts by AgonyOfDefeat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:45 PM
It's over 9000!!!
San Luis Obispo
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgonyOfDefeat View Post
I have my Hobby King Yak 54 built and ready to go but this information is concerning, pre-maiden. I am anxious to hear how the Turnigy 50-55B 600kv performs -- somebody's gotta be the Guinea pig here unfortunately.
Definitely! Once I receive the motor, Install it and run some bench / watt meter testing with the various props that I've ordered I will post videos and pictures with my results from both the Watt meter testing and my maiden flight success / failure / experience.

I am fairly confident that the 50-55B is going to make this Yak54 a beast!

Fingers crossed!
Trexid is offline Find More Posts by Trexid
Old Aug 04, 2010, 02:38 PM
Adams, Wisconsin
Joined Apr 2010
22 Posts
Wow! I cant wait to hear your reports!
fatloser is offline Find More Posts by fatloser
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:24 PM
Caribbean
Joined Jul 2010
68 Posts
I think I am more excited than Trexid for him to get hold of that motor. I can hardly wait to view some results and videos.

Take note of jackalex69's suspicion of excessive heat buildup in the cowl. I'm wondering if there is some way of chanelling that heat without affecting the flying characteristics of the yak . I am guessing maybe the large cowl and buildup of air may be partly responsible for the nice slow speeds characteristic of the yak, especially for landing approaches.

Whatever the results, we anxiously await the testing on this motor.

Jackalex, sorry to hear about your motor. I though it would have worked, albiet less powerful.
zmantaz is offline Find More Posts by zmantaz
Old Aug 04, 2010, 07:41 PM
Dirty low puller
Ontario
Joined Apr 2010
31 Posts
You need 3x the exit volume vs inlet for proper cooling. That's a first step. Then changing the prop size. This is not a heavy plane and should not require loads of power to fly. I am still waiting for my order to ship.."processing" for days now for a replacement motor.
The cowl needs to be modified and to create an air-dam to channel the airflow over the motor. I have done this with tight fitting nitros before with great success. I'm sure we'll all find the right combo to get everyone airborne again. Just might take some ingenuity.
GHFlyer is offline Find More Posts by GHFlyer
Old Aug 05, 2010, 03:09 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania
Joined Aug 2010
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

my motor still didn't burn after a coule of flights, but I started looking for a replacement one after reading bad experiences. I'm looking at this one http://www.himodel.com/electric/EMAX...pe_BL2826.html, dimensions are similar to stock motor so I guess it would fit nice, would like to hear your oppinions.
Ramunask is offline Find More Posts by Ramunask
Old Aug 05, 2010, 04:00 AM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
Looks pretty good. I'm not sure how good Himax motors are... think I did have one in the dim and distant past and have no bad memories.

Only challenge might be that that motor seems to be recommended for 12 / 13" props so it may still be a little over-propped with a 14" - and you need a decent sized prop to get 'outside' the cowl.

What about the BL3626?
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho
Old Aug 05, 2010, 04:54 AM
Vilnius, Lithuania
Joined Aug 2010
5 Posts
and this one might be the one that we have in our kit, http://www.himodel.com/electric/850K..._3720-01A.html, take a look at the recomended props section, no wonder they burn...
ukgroucho, I gues you ment BL3526, but it is 5S, now I noticed BL2832 has quite similar dimensions to BL2826 and recomended prop is 14/7.
Ramunask is offline Find More Posts by Ramunask
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:30 AM
Stratford upon Avon
Joined Jul 2004
2,502 Posts
Yes 3526.. but that 2832 looks like it might do the job - although I see that 14x7 prop is only recommended on 3S

There are two 3526 models.. a 3526/04 860Kv (4S) and a 3526/05 685Kv (5S)... I figure the 4S one might work
ukgroucho is offline Find More Posts by ukgroucho
Old Aug 05, 2010, 09:47 AM
Lyon FRANCE
Joined Oct 2009
7 Posts
EMAX BL2826 with a 12x8 must be well 48 A = 6.5 minutes of flight with 4S 5000mAh
jackalex69 is offline Find More Posts by jackalex69
Old Aug 09, 2010, 06:17 AM
Caribbean
Joined Jul 2010
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexid View Post
Definitely! Once I receive the motor, Install it and run some bench / watt meter testing with the various props that I've ordered I will post videos and pictures with my results from both the Watt meter testing and my maiden flight success / failure / experience.

I am fairly confident that the 50-55B is going to make this Yak54 a beast!

Fingers crossed!
Any luck with that 50-55B motor? Anyone else tried with another motor besides the stock?
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:06 AM
Caribbean
Joined Jul 2010
68 Posts
A change of heart perhaps

I have been contemplating this yak for some time now - had it in my cart, awaiting some reviews of using different electronics. We have all established that the stock motor is junk.

Now when I review it, what originally seemed to be a great deal is turning out to be as expensive as other planes. I would have to pay $179.95 then replace all the electronics, plus almost $100 for shipping. If you use the 50-55B motor for example, then you also have to buy an 80A ESC, and I'm sure you may have to change the servos too. If you are thinking of getting it because it's a yak you want then I guess you can put out the money to bring it up to acceptable use. If on the other hand you were looking for a great 3D plane, then you may want to look elsewhere. For those who already have it I guess this would not apply.

I have been looking at the Extra 300 EXP from Extremeflight for the same price without the electronics (currently out of stock) http://www.extremeflightrc.com/html/48extra.html

I am sure you have all seen Daniel Holman's amazing and inspiring video of this plane below my post.

I'm not saying I'm sold on the Extra 300 but I am seriously considering it as an alternative simply because the yak is adding up to be similarly priced. There is a forum in rcgroups on the extra and I only read good things about it. By the way Daniel was flying it with the combo electronics and said he gets about 10 minutes of 3d flight with a 4s 2600mAh battery which I think is pretty good.

These are just my views and I'm not trying to convice anyone to move away from the yak. I would appreciate some other views, however, and may even still consider the yak

Daniel's video here
Extreme Flight RC 48'' Extra 300 EXP.wmv (6 min 13 sec)

RJ Gritter video here
Extreme Flight Extra 300 EXP (7 min 30 sec)
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:30 AM
United States, GA, Thomasville
Joined Apr 2010
33 Posts
Another one bites the dust

Maidened my HK Yak 54 this w/e. Everything stock, zero wind, I babied this plane around the field purposely taking it easy on the problem prone motor.

For about five minutes I tried unsuccessfully to obtain "reasonable" level flight characteristics. I know the Yak is a 3D flyer but this plane wanted to FALL, not float. How do you bring a plane in for a landing that won't fly level? When you bring the nose down ever so slightly the plane drops unexpectedly and when you nudge up on the elevator the nose wants to point straight up.

Anyway, it doesn't matter about the landing because the motor decided things for me...

On a slow pass (1/2 throttle,) testing the landing approach, the motor made a loud rattle and stopped. I managed to drift down into some high grass with very little damage (shew!)

I guess I'll upgrade to a larger motor & ESC -- I like Trexid's solution.

The next flight on the new motor, I will add a lot more D/R & Expo. I need to at least feel somewhat in control of this plane before I start any 3D stuff.
AgonyOfDefeat is offline Find More Posts by AgonyOfDefeat
Old Aug 09, 2010, 11:56 PM
It's over 9000!!!
San Luis Obispo
Joined Mar 2010
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmantaz View Post
Any luck with that 50-55B motor? Anyone else tried with another motor besides the stock?
My 50-55B hasn't come in yet so still no updates from me on build / test progress. Those videos are awesome thanks for sharing! I think I'll shoot for one of those next year maybe. I've already made the investment into this Yak so my chips are all in at this point. Just hoping I can get some nice performance out of this thing

I've been practicing a bit in Real Flight getting ready for the maiden I just started flying this year around April so might not be a very impressive flight video but it will be something to work from lol =D!
Trexid is offline Find More Posts by Trexid
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:42 AM
Caribbean
Joined Jul 2010
68 Posts
Hey Trexid we're all still learners. I only started last month since my two sons are also interested. I bought cheap Dynam foam trainer and have been having loads of fun with it. I started with the G4.5 simulator for a couple of months before that and believe it or not the real thing is identical. I am even pulling harriers and hovers on the sim (using 3D planes of course), and you can also add expo and dual rates too. The trainer can do mild aerobatics like loops, inverted etc, but nothing else and I think I am ready to move up.

I contacted Extremeflight and the shipping is usually around $18, which actually makes the Extra 300EXP (48"), or their newest Edge 540T EXP (48") cheaper than sprucing up the yak. I do hear you though, since you have already invested then the yak would be great when you're finished. It looks great.

I see Argony of Defeat also burned out a motor. Has HobbyKing or E-DoModel even acknowledged this problem, or doing anything about it?