HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How does your wife cope with your R/C habit?
She understands and supports me 100% as long as the grass is cut! 39 53.42%
She's usually understands, though sometimes I'm really pushing my luck. 25 34.25%
Know any good divorce lawyers? 9 12.33%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:13 PM
ZippoGeek
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2002
370 Posts
How supportive is your wife in this hobby?

Hey guys,

I'm just trying to gain a little perspective on other guys' experience with their wives and this hobby. I am beyond fortunate. My wife is very understanding of my addiction -- probably too much so for my own good. She figures I could be a wife-beater or a drunkard, so if R/C is my worst vice she's willing to accept the credit card bills , hours of research, meticulous assembly, staring off in the distance dreaming of planes while she's talking to me, etc. Plus the 4-letter outbursts of anger when I sizzle my hand with the soldering iron or cut two left wings...

Is anyone else this lucky?
zippogeek is offline Find More Posts by zippogeek
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:25 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
My wife absolutely tolerates my obsession. She rarely comes to see them fly but doesn't mind a bit the excessive time I spend in the shop or at the field in the summer. We've been married 32 years and has been totally supportive of all my hobbies-I am likewise supportive of hers.
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:29 PM
Voices through wires? Ha!
Joined Feb 2003
1,659 Posts
Absolutely! She's wonderful! Only last week she said I could go to the darned field every day so far as she's concerned.
Chas
Chas is offline Find More Posts by Chas
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,508 Posts
My wife tolerates my e-flight activities as long as I don't expect her to go flying me.

Besides, she figures if I'm in the basement up to my knees in balsa dust, how much trouble can I get myself into?

From another point of view, some separatness is good for a marriage. I wouldn't join her and her friends for a Friday evening pinochle game if she paid me.
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,499 Posts
She holds the door for me as I'm headed out to the truck with an armload of flying stuff.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:47 PM
I have no friends
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Dec 1996
3,388 Posts
Mine tries to push me down the stairs when I carry it all, says something about an insurance policy and making her rich.
mt_100 is offline Find More Posts by mt_100
Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:51 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
"You're building another? You already have one, and it's not broken. Why do you need that one?"

I get tolerance for the space and mess requirements, but not much for itty bitty motors that cost $70 or more...

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jun 24, 2003, 01:03 PM
Millington, TN
Joined Sep 2002
158 Posts
My wife understands my need to have a hobby and supports me is this as long as things around the house are taken care of. Knowing this I do things around the house after work and on Saturday mornings. That leave me Saturday afternoon and Sunday to go flying. This works out good for both of us.

Thanks

Jim
jstanton is offline Find More Posts by jstanton
Old Jun 24, 2003, 01:08 PM
Smooth Air
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Apr 2003
1,500 Posts
I'm in a high stress job, so she understands my need to take a breather on my days off.

She's encouraged me to do something. (Hope she doesn't see the credit card bill though.)
Morb is offline Find More Posts by Morb
Old Jun 24, 2003, 01:10 PM
Crash Site Instigator
Novato, CA USA
Joined Jan 2002
917 Posts
Mine is a bit puzzled. She's seen me go through a lot of hobbies, and this one seems to be sticking. Most others, like sailing, tennis, or golf, have been ones where she's wanted to participate. We gradually get too busy or something, and quit doing it. She says (when pressed) that she'd like to try flying when she has time.

I plan to suck her into being a copilot, anyway, by saying I need movies of what I fly. I figure she'd get a kick out of learning to use the video camera, and maybe be more understanding of the time I put into flying. I've pointed out that with flying I don't have time or money for a mistress or heavy drinking, but that doesn't seem to help.

Larry
sheerLuck is offline Find More Posts by sheerLuck
Old Jun 24, 2003, 01:21 PM
Scale Builder, RCAPA #29
Lansdale, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,370 Posts
my wife

My wife likes to go out with me flying, mostly taking photos and video, but she has shown increased interest in flying herself. Click below to see what I mean.

Flying with my Wife

Building her Tiger Moth

Most of the time, I tend the charger and equipment upkeep, and getting lost into the basement workshop, but she is very supportive.

Rob Schaffer is offline Find More Posts by Rob Schaffer
Old Jun 24, 2003, 02:28 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
My wife has always encouraged all my hobbies to date, as long as things get done around the house.

R/C is a cheaper hobby than some of my others (past and present) and the funding comes from a seperate job, so no problems on that front. Work out what golf or a boat costs and R/C flying is actually very good value per hour (I think).

She has occasionally moaned about the amount of time I've spent at the field, but I've been a little excessive at times

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jun 24, 2003, 04:17 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,954 Posts
My wife is an absolute dream. I can spend what I want, she knows that I'm a conservative fellow and won't go overboard. Her only complaint is that she would prefer that I write a check, rather than use a CC, but I usually can't wait She helps out in the concession stand at our club fly-ins. She'll attend some fly-ins with me if it's not going to be too hot. She wouldn't go to SEFF with me but she's been to NEAT, and we're going together to Lexington. She'll even listen to me talk about model planes, for a bit at least.
She also handles the family finances, remembers all the family birthdays, cooks the meals, cleans the house, schedules household repairs, keeps her car maintained and takes care of her sister, the dogs and me. The list goes on and on. All this and she does the yard work too. I am responsible for bringing home the bacon and keeping the lawn equipment in good working order though, so you can see that I do my share.

Dave Chewning
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Last edited by davecee; Jun 24, 2003 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:03 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Although technically not married (dated for 6 years prior to engagement 2 yrs ago) my soon-to-be wife has supported my addiction, er, hobby 110%. The way she sees it, it keeps me out of her hair and I'm actually learning something while I play, so as long as there's money in the bank and food on the table, why not?
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:05 PM
Fixed Wing Fanatic
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Jul 2001
2,344 Posts
My wife has been very supportive and tries to appear interested when I start babbling on about all the technical stuff I research. She makes all the correct appreciative noises when I call her out to the garage to view my latest creations.

Things went awry however when she started having trouble cashing checks at the grocery store, her credit card purchases were denied, there wasn't any room for storage in the garage and the kids asked who I was when I came in from the garage before midnight one day.

Since then she has played it cagey when I mention airplane modeling. I think she doesn't want to encourage me too much......
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker