HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:10 PM
USA, IL, Rolling Meadows
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
Discussion
Is clearview good for a rookie to learn?

Hey everyone! I am a rookie to RC flying, and i purchased the Clearview simulator. At first, i could barely get off the ground. After about a half hour i was really starting to learn (i'm using a dual joystick game controller, but holding the nobs like i would a RC controller). I purchased a TW-749 ME-109 for $96 (plane and controller), and i havent been able to keep it up in the air for more than 5 seconds (2 crashed, but plane is fine). My question is this; Will Clearview help me learn to fly a RC plane in the real world? I know nothing compares to actually doing the real deal, but will the trainer give me the tools in order to make another attempt at flight and maybe be successful?
steveTA1983 is offline Find More Posts by steveTA1983
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:55 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
9,889 Posts
Like any other simulator it will help most if you use it with a proper transmitter so you really get used to how YOUR controls work and feel. Also if you use it carefully to plan and practise simple moves until you get them exactly right rather than just playing it as a game, throwing the planes all over the sky.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:07 AM
USA, IL, Rolling Meadows
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
when i play it i actually try to simulate real flying. i try to control it well and keep it steady, not just do loops and crazy stuff
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2010
109 Posts
One of the big issues with most game controllers is that they have round joystick limits. RC controllers have square ones. If you use a game pad you can never get to 100% on both channels on a stick at the same time. You might consider getting a cheap USB RC style joystick controller, or a cord to use your real Tx.

As for learning to fly? Absolutely It'll get you over the worst hump of orientation and muscle memory to be able to react the right way when you're really in the air.
geekybiker is offline Find More Posts by geekybiker
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:06 PM
USA, IL, Rolling Meadows
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
thanks geekybiker. your right though, a cheap rc joystick controller would be a good idea. i just hope i didn't waste 40 bucks on something that wouldnt work in the real world, but even if the simulator helps just a little, it's worth it for me. i'm getting very excited about this hobby......i has biking one day and saw people doing it at my local forest preserve and i was amazed. i need to start saving money for when i get better to get a nice plane!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:19 AM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
516 Posts
CV is a great sim - especially for the price!
You can get a good cheap controller at Dealextreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15580

Or a cable to use your own TX:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11996

I highly recommend either using your own TX, or getting one. It will make the sim much easier and more realistic.

CV has a great training tool - the timescale (I think that is what it is called). I use it a lot. What it allows you to do is either slow or speed up time. For instance, when you are just starting you can set the timescale to 60%. All of the planes / helis will fly slower than realistic in order to give you some time to react. Once you feel confident, you can increase the timescale to 100% (normal, realistic time) or even beyond - thus speeding up time and the models reactions. I find this is very helpful as it allows me to practice faster than realistic so I can learn crash avoidance even quicker!

Terry
TerryE is offline Find More Posts by TerryE
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:17 AM
USA, IL, Rolling Meadows
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
CV is a great sim - especially for the price!
You can get a good cheap controller at Dealextreme.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15580

Or a cable to use your own TX:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11996

I highly recommend either using your own TX, or getting one. It will make the sim much easier and more realistic.

CV has a great training tool - the timescale (I think that is what it is called). I use it a lot. What it allows you to do is either slow or speed up time. For instance, when you are just starting you can set the timescale to 60%. All of the planes / helis will fly slower than realistic in order to give you some time to react. Once you feel confident, you can increase the timescale to 100% (normal, realistic time) or even beyond - thus speeding up time and the models reactions. I find this is very helpful as it allows me to practice faster than realistic so I can learn crash avoidance even quicker!

Terry
thank you for the response. as i have said in other posts, i have tried to fly blind and have crashed, and before i destory my warbird, i think it would be smart to learn to fly with a sim, then a trainer, then the warbird. thank you for the response, and now all i need is a USB controller/joypad
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
Joined Oct 2005
1,535 Posts
Yes warbirds make lousy trainers. This comming from a guy who started with a Parkzone Slo-V and tried to graduate to a Parkzone Mustang in less than a year. That was a major lesson learned lol. BP Hobbies makes a good dummy tx for sims. I had bought one and then gave it to my flying buddy after I got RealFlight G4.5. That dummy tx was the best 20 some bucks I ever spent.
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:13 PM
USA, IL, Rolling Meadows
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew954 View Post
Yes warbirds make lousy trainers. This comming from a guy who started with a Parkzone Slo-V and tried to graduate to a Parkzone Mustang in less than a year. That was a major lesson learned lol. BP Hobbies makes a good dummy tx for sims. I had bought one and then gave it to my flying buddy after I got RealFlight G4.5. That dummy tx was the best 20 some bucks I ever spent.
i'll have to invest in one of those. thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:28 AM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
516 Posts
One of the true advantages of a sim like CV is that you can practice with whatever plane you want.
A tip: If you want a warbird look, and want it to fly like a trainer, all you need to do is copy the trainer parameret file to the warbird directory, and overwrite the warbird parameter file (save a copy to revert in the future).

You now have a P-51 (or whatever) that flies like a trainer.

TE
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:48 PM
USA, IL, Rolling Meadows
Joined Jul 2010
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryE View Post
One of the true advantages of a sim like CV is that you can practice with whatever plane you want.
A tip: If you want a warbird look, and want it to fly like a trainer, all you need to do is copy the trainer parameret file to the warbird directory, and overwrite the warbird parameter file (save a copy to revert in the future).

You now have a P-51 (or whatever) that flies like a trainer.

TE
i actually fly the warbirds better than the trainer. is that good? (i'm being serious, i'm a rookie and know almost nothing about the hobby). I ALWAYS end up crashing, but i keep the warbirds up longer.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:48 AM
Glassman
Leesburg, VA
Joined Aug 2004
516 Posts
Whatever works is good

I actually fly the UCanDo 60 a lot - and love it - although it is way too much of a plane for me in reality.

If you are enjoying and learning - then that is good.

BTW: There is a new version of CV available, and since we all get free upgrades...