SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:23 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,431 Posts
Discussion
RC Modeler Magazine?

Does RC Modeler magazine still exist? I read it for years growing up, but cannot seem to find it on the web.
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:46 PM
lawndart aerobatic ace!
Joplin, Misery
Joined Mar 2007
407 Posts
RCM has gone the way of the dodo.
gr8taz nitro is offline Find More Posts by gr8taz nitro
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:34 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,087 Posts
Have you had a chance to read Fly RC? Been getting it for about 5-6 issue's so far and seems to be decent.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:01 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,031 Posts
RCM folded not long after the deaths of my good friend Dick Kidd, the technical director and the founder, Don Dewey.

Many of the articles are still available at rcmplans.com as PDFs. If nothing else, the design parameter articles by Chuck Cunningham are priceless.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:40 AM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,508 Posts
Fly RC is pretty good. I like every magazine that has RC planes in it.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:35 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,431 Posts
Thanks, sorry to hear about loosing your friends. I enjoyed that magazine.

I do currently subscribe to Fly RC.
Thanks guys,
Jim
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:40 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
Wow... RCM is gone. I've been subscribing to other mags for awhile now just for a change. I never expected RCM to go away. What a bummer......
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:21 PM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,745 Posts
Never met Dick Kidd personally, but corresponded with him back when I was doing RCM reviews. Fine gentleman.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:54 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,934 Posts
RCM still exists but they don't publish a magazine. They still sell their plans. I don't know if they do anything else.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Aug 01, 2010, 02:02 AM
MO, USA
Joined Jun 2010
686 Posts
Wow. I didn't realize they were gone, either. I've recently re-entered flying, after a 15 or so year hiatus. This makes me want to go out to the shop, where I've got tubs of RCM (and other) mags dating back to the 60's. There are BOUND to be some cool planes / plans in there!
motoguy1 is offline Find More Posts by motoguy1
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:13 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
2,023 Posts
They were for years a powerful leader in the R/C industry. Don Dewey, Dick Kidd, Ken Willard and Chuck Cunningham all true motivated leaders in our hobby. Bless they be remembered. May God speed them all.
starcad is online now Find More Posts by starcad
Old Aug 04, 2010, 08:41 AM
Joined Mar 2001
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcad View Post
They were for years a powerful leader in the R/C industry. Don Dewey, Dick Kidd, Ken Willard and Chuck Cunningham all true motivated leaders in our hobby. Bless they be remembered. May God speed them all.
RCM was my favorite back in the day. Model Aviation has been good at times. I used to like Flying Models, but none of the local stores carry it any more. I liked EFI before they combined it with Sailplane Modeler. And don't forget the late, much lamented Model Builder. I usually just skim through the RC magazine rack these days, but rarely buy a magazine.

Tony
t-turley is offline Find More Posts by t-turley
Old Aug 04, 2010, 10:59 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,291 Posts
RCM was my number one choice every month. Flying Models was a very close second.
Now I rarely see a Flying Models magazine as it is no longer on any news stand or magazine rack in the area. The annual subscription rate is far too high compared to others and I don't need thos issues that hold no interest for me.
I do pick up the rare British magazine the I might come across at Borders from time to time.
Today the only magazines that find their way to my mail box are Fly R/C becuse o it's reasonable subscription rate and Model Aviation because of my AMA membership.
Too bad because I realy enjoyed reading al the magazines.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:36 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,230 Posts
RCM, Model Builder, and varioous scale model builder publications have died. Model Airplane News still lives but it is like a catalog for large IC powered ARF models with some articles on electrics. They all become mostly ads and look like catalogs then die.
I think that it relates to the heavy influx of Asian ARF products and people buying from Hong Kong Louie. Model Aviation is still doing a pretty good job of covering various niches but has trouble keeping pace with electric powered RC technology.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 04, 2010, 01:44 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
I think you guys need to look harder at Fly-RC. Scott Stoops does a very nice job of covering flying and setup techniques that not everyone knows how to do. The other fella there... sorry the name escapes me does a very even handed job of reviewing kits and ARFS.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz