SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:13 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,446 Posts
Discussion
WHATS BETTER? Deans type, XT60, or EC3 connectors?

Hi guy's I have the deans type clones with the textured bars on them that pull apart easy but i was wondering if it's worth switching over are the EC3 or XT60 connectors any better?
Deans type what i have now

EC3

XT60

THANKS
reptileman is online now Find More Posts by reptileman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:00 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,961 Posts
Deans all the way my friend. I have personally witnessed Deans being used in planes with 100+ amp current draws.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:24 PM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
I've been pretty impressed with the XT60 connectors from HobbyCity. Been running them in 1/8th scale buggy and truggy for a few months now. The EC3/EC5 connectors are good although they are are not easy to reuse.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:07 AM
Joined May 2009
510 Posts
XT60s are simply re-packed bullets, and they are small bullets 3mm or 3.5mm, NOT comparable to Deans in terms of current handling. EC3, same if not worse for it has thin lantern shaped conductor and small contact points.

Deans all the way, and yes, knock off Deans all the way. They are the only thing i saw that performs far beyond the genuine.
Himalaya is offline Find More Posts by Himalaya
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2009
270 Posts
And here we go again.
TomBates is offline Find More Posts by TomBates
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:47 AM
CHICAGO
Joined Feb 2004
1,616 Posts
I started using EC3 on my RX lipos and regulators. I found that even with my best soldering job, Ultra Plugs had a tendency to drop connection to the V Regulator when twisted or sometimes just touched. Don't want dropped connections on a 35% planes, now do we.

The EC3's are easy to get in USA and so I use them for my big RX packs.

Still use Ultra Plugs on 90% of my packs, but may be phazing out that as well.

EC3's by the way will handle 70A draws. (3.5mm bullets) Not sure what Himalaya means by bad connections (yes, its probable after 100 disconnects or so, but so are the Deans, the springs break off)

the 3mm XT60 I would not use for anything over 2100mAh. The XT60s should be great as well for RX packs.
supi7 is offline Find More Posts by supi7
Last edited by supi7; Jul 26, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:14 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,348 Posts
Actually they are all about equal in performance. It really depends on the application and the user preferences. If a user already had invested in Deans connectors then they are likely to stick with them. But a user who hasn't gone one way or the other is likely to go with whatever came installed on the battery packs.
I haven't done anything with EC3 connectors on anything, but I do use Deans or XT60 connectors. One day I sat down a made a bunch of adapters for the XT60's so I can plug the battery packs in to most anything now.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:17 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,446 Posts
Guess i will stick with the deans connectors since all my stuff is deans ... just thought by now these new plugs would be better but I guess not.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:54 PM
California
Joined Oct 2005
58 Posts
As far as the performance of these connectors, in my opinion, it has a lot more to do with the quality of the solder connection.

I found that the Deans can be more difficult to get a proper solder job on than the EC3/EC5, the EC3/EC5 being a solder cup allows for 360 degrees of contact with the wire, thus making it easier to get a good solder connection.

Also, being able to solder one wire and inserting it into the connector before working on the other wire, is a little safer than working with the Deans.

I also, took a small piece of wood and drilled holes into it that hold the EC3 and EC5 pins, thus I do not have any heat loss and the pins are held steady.
kmartin is offline Find More Posts by kmartin
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:53 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
EC3's are rated to 60A continious, are very easy to solder and don't require shrink wrap. Deans have no true rating, are a PITA to solder and look ugly.

I've had the springs on 3 deans fail. switched to EC3 and never had another problem.
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:57 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
EC3's are rated to 60A continious, are very easy to solder and don't require shrink wrap. Deans have no true rating, are a PITA to solder and look ugly.

I've had the springs on 3 deans fail. switched to EC3 and never had another problem.
I only had springs on the fake chins Deans clones fail never on a real deans plug.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:58 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
United States, NM, Socorro
Joined Jun 2008
784 Posts
Deans are a pita to solder and use. After years of using them I bought some XT60s to try and have never looked back.
tjinguy is offline Find More Posts by tjinguy
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:34 PM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,446 Posts
I hate to say it you guy's must not know how to solder or must be using the wrong soldering iron because i never had any problems at all soldering wires to deans plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy View Post
Deans are a pita to solder and use. After years of using them I bought some XT60s to try and have never looked back.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 04:43 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBates View Post
And here we go again.
Great, a new version of the Deans vs APP debate. I think it first surfaced when RCG was the Eflight mailing list back in the last century

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:37 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
LOL..

with regards to current handling capacity?
well my 50cc EG Aircraft MX2 on 10s with a rimfire 50cc motor at 230kv with a xoar 23x8 prop is over 110 amps WOT. XT60's seem to be holding up just fine thank you.
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38