HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:20 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
228 Posts
Discussion
The Yeti - a new pusher prop design

I have always liked pusher prop planes. My first RC plane was a Hobby Zone Firebird Phantom - a fun plane, but not durable at all. I got a couple of month use out of it.

Introducing the Yeti My own design. Please feel free to comment, critique or criticize. I started designing it yesterday afternoon, so it's very much a work in progress.

I have already made a number of changes.

-Wings- I made them narrow so the fuselage didn't have to be long. I used wings I had built for a BluBaby 33 (another great plane ) and trimmed them down length wise. I used bamboo skewers on the leading and trialing edges for support, but the wings were very bendy. I added a Kf strip to the front of each wing, and gave the wings acceptable strength.

-Power System. I currently am using a 2204 14t from Grayson Hobby I was using a 2 s lipo, but it was a little underpowered on an GWS 8x4 Slowfly prop. Toward the end of the day, I switched to a 500mah 3s - more than enough power, but pushing that motor's limits on an 8x4. I will try an 7x38 dd prop and see how it does. I experiment with the thrust angle of the motor, and have it set pretty parallel to the boom. Seems to be a good angle.

-Elevator. I don't know what I was thinking with my first elevator. It was only about an inch wide and on my maiden, I could not pull up at all (You can see that in the video posted below)

Yeti - a new pusher prop design RC plane (4 min 23 sec)
AltonMan is offline Find More Posts by AltonMan
Last edited by AltonMan; Aug 05, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:39 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
the airplane's quality seems low. i think with more effort, you could make a better airplane, but i respect that you are just trying to have some fun

happy?
Lestertrece is offline Find More Posts by Lestertrece
Last edited by Lestertrece; Jul 26, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:42 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestertrece View Post
wow, that looks like it was sloppily made, huh?
-SNIP-

Seriously?

I'm at a loss.. and this is beyond reproach.. consider it reported..
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
216 Posts
Quote:
did you actually try?
i mean, really, whats up with the airfoil? laziness is the answer.
and the fuselage looks poorly constructed. and ya know my planes are better, check them out. like my new "elephant" . its a beauty. thanks
Who cares what it looks like, its how it flies.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,411 Posts
The guy did ask for all to criticize, didn't he? We are all entitled to our personal opinions. I don't see the need to report this at this time, maybe if it gets worse.

The plane does look decent enough to please. Good luck.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
803 Posts
Quote:
did you actually try?
and the fuselage looks poorly constructed. and ya know my planes are better, check them out. like my new "elephant" . its a beauty. thanks
wow!!???Realy??
TheTrashMan is offline Find More Posts by TheTrashMan
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:18 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
228 Posts
Great weather here today. Got to spend more time with the new plane. Uploading a new video to youtube -251 minutes remaining lol.

I did invite criticism, so I can take Lestertrece's comments. I'm not building kits for sale or anything like that - just messing around with a plane to fly in my backyard. I want to try different motors and wings on it. I am also planing on making some floats - I think the Yeti would be a good platform for water flying.

Lestertrece didn't link to his "elephant" build - It can be seen here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1280988
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:30 AM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
228 Posts
The Yeti RC Plane - Day 2 (Part 2) (5 min 32 sec)
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:57 AM
jclassic1
New Houghton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
This small plane looks fine to me,if you want to see scruffy builds check some of mine out.It does seem to fly a little bit faster than I would like with a plane this size and I would probably give it a bit more wing if I were to build one.I can,t say I am a great lover of pusher planes but they are more user friendly and better for trainers.

Good luck with it.

John
jclassic1 is offline Find More Posts by jclassic1
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:58 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,526 Posts
Quote:
did you actually try?
Constructive criticism is normally welcome, rudeness is not. Maybe you should investigate KF airfoils?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I like the relatively clean lines of the Yeti.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:58 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,974 Posts
If your having fun, that's what counts. I like the look of the design and you did a reasonable job in getting it airborne, better then some of my FBs turn out.

As for the rude comment from Lester, I can be rude too...............his Elephant looks like a piece of crap, he has absolutely no building skills and should take up stamp collecting as a hobby instead because he knows absolutely nothing about model design.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:08 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,526 Posts
Thanks Gold, I was trying to be subtle, but it was probably lost on Lester.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:29 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Nov 2007
1,332 Posts
you know what's funny is that Lester's plane isn't looking much better!

- Jeff
jkarnacki is offline Find More Posts by jkarnacki
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:28 PM
Balsa taste like chicken!
USA, MS, Columbus
Joined Jun 2006
490 Posts
I like it. My prototype planes are always rough looking. It's when you finish the prelim flights and tinkering that you make her all PURDY! I may have to make one, and I bet mine'll look alot worse. As long as she's airworthy (Won't come to pieces) during flight.

Now, How does she fly? stable? stall behavior? Charger
A74Charger is offline Find More Posts by A74Charger
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:59 PM
My middle name is Alton
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joined Nov 2007
228 Posts
Hi, thanks for the comments guys. Jclassic1 is right about it being too fast. It does fly fast, probably because the wings are only 33 inches (from a Blubaby 33) only with a much smaller chord (4 1/2 inches).

The plane flies great at speed, but does not glide very well. On landings it has to come in pretty fast. I think it's design with a flat bottom makes it well suited to be a float plane, except I would be pretty scared to land it at such high speeds on water.

The challenge I face is making it more floaty, but that's going to be difficult without making the wings wider (chord). I I think I might try to lengthen them like a Radian, or I was thinking about making some swept back wings like a B52's.