HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2003, 07:50 AM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
I LOVE my Switchback sport...awesome aileron trainer

Last nite was FINALLY the first perfect summer flying night, warm, zero wind, beautiful sunset...I cannot say enough nice things about the Switchback sport as an aileron trainer. This is one awesome plane. I know, I know, it has been said before here, that is why I bought the darn thing. It is my first aileron model after flying my ever increasing weight TM for a year.

I was nervous a couple of weeks ago when I maidened her, figured I would soon end up with a pile of sticks (bought 2 for this reason). Well, I was right, I cartwheeled her fast on the first flight...$&*#@....NOT a scratch!, 4th flight, Nose in fast and hard from 5 feet up, thank goodness for long grass (2')...just had to CA a popped former. This thing is unbeleivably strong for a featherwight pile of THIN balsa. One very rough landing last nite, It still looks new. It is a GREAT nite when you put the plane away and it needs no repairs<G>

Last nite...toss it into the air and REALLY flew it for the first time, WOW...sweet, after the moth, I was amazed at the climbing ablity and agility. I just had a blast zooming aound. My wife commented on the huge grin I had all night (probably in my sleep too<G>) I was so jazzed, I have transitioned to a 4 channel guy!

I cannot recomend the SB sport enough as an aeleron trainer. I fly mine stock with 40% rates. It is an awesomely stable plane.

Thanks again Doug, you are a magician.

ps. What is the top speed of A SB sport on a GWS 300, 10x8? It felt fast to this tm pilot!
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2003, 07:58 AM
Mark Imbriaco
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Apr 2003
259 Posts
Great report!

I've heard many times that the SB requires more room to fly in than say a Dandy Sport. Let's quantify that. Can the SB fly comfortably in an area the size of a soccer field? How about two soccer fields? I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate here.

Thanks,
-Mark
NeuronBasher is offline Find More Posts by NeuronBasher
Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:17 AM
Crash and Build
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Oct 2001
2,142 Posts
I fly in my backyard, 2 acres (2 + soccer fields?) At my skill level, I would not want to fly in a smaller area, but I think I could keep it in a soccer field area, albeit with a few overflight violations.

If the dandy had been available when I bought this last year, I would have bought that first. The SB looks zoomier tho!!
dpoles is offline Find More Posts by dpoles
Last edited by dpoles; Jun 24, 2003 at 08:19 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:43 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NeuronBasher
Great report!

I've heard many times that the SB requires more room to fly in than say a Dandy Sport. Let's quantify that. Can the SB fly comfortably in an area the size of a soccer field? How about two soccer fields? I'm just looking for a ballpark estimate here.

Thanks,
-Mark
This is really a weight/wing loading question.

Both planes have the same wing, and exclusive of the power system weigh about the same (if no retracts in the SB). At 11 ounces (Astro 010, 3s E-Tec 1200s) my Dandy Sport will fly comfortably in a "majors" little league baseball field (outfield fences at 300 feet). So, a soccer field will work.

At 16-17 ounces two soccer fields end to end are probably the minimum. This is where my Switchback Sport RG is (miniAC - and now Plettenberg Freestyle - 8 950 KANs).

At the lighter weight when you chop the throttle it slows right down and in a light breeze you can park it in the air. At the heavier weight it retains energy through bigger, smoother maneuvers and flies more like a larger model rather than a "parkflyer" type.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jun 24, 2003, 01:08 PM
Mark Imbriaco
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Apr 2003
259 Posts
That makes sense, Bernard. I hadn't really considered the fact that it was all really mostly related to the wing loading and weight, but now that I think about it, it seems obvious. Another factor is speed, but that's really independent of the airframe in this case sense they're so similar. Thanks!

-Mark
NeuronBasher is offline Find More Posts by NeuronBasher