HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
83 Posts
Question
Inverted 4-stroke problem

I have a World Models Extra 330L. The instructions call for inverting or inverted 45 degree. I have installed a 91 four stroke inverted but am having problems with the engine loading up with fuel causing the engine to backfire when starting. As a test I rotated the engine so that its on its side and I run fine in this orientation. However to fit it nicely inside of the cowl the engine needs to be in either of the orientations mentioned in the instructions. Besides during assemblemby I have cut the cowl to work with the engine inverted.

I know the problem. The carb is below the center line of the fuel tank causing fuel to be syphoned into the carb.

What I am cansidering is using a Perry V20 oscillating pump to eliminate the syphoning. Will this stop the syphoning or will the fuel still be syphoned through the pump?
lanc is offline Find More Posts by lanc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:43 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
"What I am considering is using a Perry V20 oscillating pump to eliminate the syphoning. Will this stop the syphoning or will the fuel still be syphoned through the pump?"

No, the V20 pump will not impede fuel flow in the direction you think you need. Does the engine you have use an auto mixture carb?

Friends don't let friends fly nickel,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
The micro oscillating pump does solve your problem I used one for the exact same reason and the engine ran fine.
iluv2fli is offline Find More Posts by iluv2fli
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:13 PM
Suspended Account
Everett Wa.
Joined Jun 2001
5,925 Posts
Well, lets take a look at the insides of a V20 pump. As you can see there are 3 check valves on the model I have drawn. None of these valves will stop fuel flow from the tank to the carb with the slug motionless. So unless I've mis drawn the pump I don't see how adding the pump will stop siphoning. Can someone please describe how adding the pump will stop siphoning?

Friends don't let friends fly nickel,
Konrad
Konrad is offline Find More Posts by Konrad
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:39 AM
Joined Dec 2007
533 Posts
You are siphoning fuel.

Just a thought. Could you put fuel tank in upside down to get tank outlet closer to carb?

Tom
noveldoc is offline Find More Posts by noveldoc
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Dec 2007
533 Posts
ps: If you can't get the tank outlet hole level with the carb body, try changing to a slant type tank. May need to prop up or prop down with an extra piece of foam.

Tom
noveldoc is offline Find More Posts by noveldoc
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:32 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
11,835 Posts
I just use a pair of hemostats to pinch off the fuel like, until I am ready to fly.

For a while I experimented with a Dubro Quick Fueler, as you could refill the fuel tank and not flood the engine too. Plus when you left the fueler nipple extended or out, it blocked off the fuel going to the carb. But it does cause the fuel lines to be longer and sometimes that can be an issue.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Low Wing plane
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:22 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Dec 2009
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noveldoc View Post
You are siphoning fuel.

Just a thought. Could you put fuel tank in upside down to get tank outlet closer to carb?

Tom

Changing the position of the outlet of the tank will NOT change the siphon action. It is the level of fuel in the tank in relation to the carb that is important. You have to lower the whole tank to change the static pressure at the carb.
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Heathkit DX-100 son of Bullet
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
The check valves in the Sullivan pump will have a static "cracking pressure" This is a function of the exposed valve area and the actual seating pressure . The force X area type of calculation . So long as the differential pressure created by the siphon action is low enough , the check valve can slow or virtually stop the siphon action.
It is not likely to be a "bubble tight" - zero leakage seal but may very well do the trick for you in the "real world".

Hope this helps,

Gary
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:08 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
Oops
Last edited by Gary Cee; Jul 26, 2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: blanketblank, did it again
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:40 PM
Sittin' on my hands
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2005
185 Posts
I have the vp20, it does not regulate so it'll siphon right through. Youd probably want the perry regulating pump. I still think a pump is a good idea though. If its siphoning upright, you'll go massively lean when you fly inverted.
depronair is offline Find More Posts by depronair
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:10 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by depronair View Post
I have the vp20, it does not regulate so it'll siphon right through. Youd probably want the perry regulating pump. I still think a pump is a good idea though. If its siphoning upright, you'll go massively lean when you fly inverted.
It depends a lot on the installation and the pump itself. If the tank is marginally above tank CL , the siphon pressure action is minimal.

I offered the cracking pressure scenario as a possible (Likely ?) explanation for the earlier "Iluv2fly " reported success with the pump .

A check valve is the electrical equivalent of a diode of course. The cracking pressure is a fairly constant factor roughly equivalent to the forward bias voltage of a diode. It takes a minimal voltage before a diode actually start to conduct . Aside from a floating ,unloaded or inertially actuated check valve, nearly all have a spring action pre-load over a set orfice or valve seat.

The pump also gives you the option of moving the tank to a lower location perhaps further back, nearer the CG. This also minimizes the CG effects of change during the flight.
Last edited by Gary Cee; Jul 26, 2010 at 02:19 PM.