HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:04 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
Discussion
RIVA -- Bolero & Family -- Apreciation Thread

Some moths ago I purchased from Palo (frmr RIVA models) a short kit of the now legedary Bolero my version was the 2.26m. First I wanted to make a build log but honestly I am a lousy bloger and I forgot many time to charge the battery of my camera and to round the thing, the construccion of this ship is completely standar, which is great. You can actually build a high performance electric glider in the top of your dining table (been there, done that ;D)

So the plan for the build log was abandoned but still I think this planes in all their versions deserve a place here, to discuss about them and of course to promote them.

My plan for the short future is to build two more Bolero wings for other electric planes I have.

If you happen to have a bolero or any RIVA model please add your pictures and comments,

Regards

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:29 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
EZ, Nice looking Bolero there! I came "this close" to buying one from Palo about 2 months ago, but the challenge of wiring money to him - the bank had "issues" with the routing information he gave me, and they wanted some unrealistic amount of money ($45) to send the wire to him! (crooks), made me decide otherwise. I wish that the process of getting money to him was easier - I'd be building/ flying a Bolero now!

Anyway, please keep us posted on your thoughts and experiences with it. Who knows, I may find a way to get one here someday!?

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:43 AM
You looking at me?
USA, KY, Burlington
Joined Sep 2001
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
EZ, Nice looking Bolero there! I came "this close" to buying one from Palo about 2 months ago, but the challenge of wiring money to him - the bank had "issues" with the routing information he gave me, and they wanted some unrealistic amount of money ($45) to send the wire to him! (crooks), made me decide otherwise. I wish that the process of getting money to him was easier - I'd be building/ flying a Bolero now!

Anyway, please keep us posted on your thoughts and experiences with it. Who knows, I may find a way to get one here someday!?

Cheers,

Rob
I ran into that issue as well. I my case $40 to wire the money. Bank manger just shrugged her shoulders when I asked why so much....

Ed
Ed Franz is online now Find More Posts by Ed Franz
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:10 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
Well fortunatelly for me I still have my dutch bank account and so the money transfer is free, maybe palo should have a Paypal account (but for some countries paypal does not work)

I have not enough good words about this plane, I have calculated the price and it woudl be around the same as an ARF or other kits but the performance I believe would not be comparable, the Bolero is a great investment but is not a beginers plane, is clear that it is a short kit so no instructions attached.

Unfortunatelly I lost some nice pics I made form the Shortkits box, is already a pice of art, every thing comes well packed (tight) and protected, with the Riva wax seal of originality (no kidding). The plane comes out of the box, I think some 8 hour of work are enough to have it ready to fly.

After the first flight I was a bit disapponted the plane was pluching like an anvil but it was my fault, (a too forward CoG plus a 2.5 dregree wing incidence), I corrected that for the second flight and it was much better, in the third flight I add 2mm up alierons mixed with full throthel and it was just perfect, up straight like a rocket it glides very nice with 2mm down aleirons 3mm down flaps.

I got lots and lots of information from Palo, which spends lots of time on the PC so it is always esay to reach him and he is always very kind answering questions

EZ
Old Jul 25, 2010, 01:45 PM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
654 Posts
Quote:
... the bank had "issues" with the routing information he gave me, and they wanted some unrealistic amount of money ($45) to send the wire to him! (crooks), made me decide otherwise. I wish that the process of getting money to him was easier - I'd be building/ flying a Bolero now!
... it can be less - if you join 5 customers, then each one will pay only 9 USD. And you save much money for postage too . Instead 25 EUR postage fees for one model you will pay 45 EUR for 5 models... If you is ready, then you must looking for four friends who need the same.

... or - this is also good way - we can change one or more Bolero models for somethink made in USA which is needed in our modelclub (e.g. FMA charger or S-NEU motor)

Palo

Btw.:
Im not a producer, Im only designer and helper for friends who will need to buy this model from our modelclub (and who understand my low english )

Nice build thread from California: http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopi...592904c37be896
tender is offline Find More Posts by tender
Last edited by tender; Jul 26, 2010 at 03:44 AM. Reason: add link to build thread
Old Jul 26, 2010, 02:12 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
You see guys, good Palo is always there with solutions

My work plan is seted up I will have a small Bolero family, 1.8m, 2.26m and 2.5m

EZ
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:47 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tender View Post
... it can be less - if you join 5 customers, then each one will pay only 9 USD. If you is ready, then you must looking for four friends who need the same.

Palo

Btw.:
Im not a producer, Im only designer and helper for friends who will need to buy this model from our modelclub (and who understand my low english )
Hi Palo, it's good to hear from you, as always! I thought of your first idea, however I fly solo, and don't know of any other folks around here who fly, so getting a few people together to spread out the cost is not really an option. I wish it was...

Also, I would say that your English is very good! I can understand you very well!

Cheers,

Rob
P.S. A third option would be to do like you mentioned someone else did - just stick real money between a couple of sheets of cardboard and mail it! Not sure if I'd trust our mail system that much...
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:57 AM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
654 Posts
Quote:
...I fly solo, and don't know of any other folks around here who fly
Dont worry, Rob...
If I come to California one more time, I can bring one Bolero for you - and we can fly together
Palo

P.S.: or you can visit Slovakia - we have nice girls as timekeepers in our competitions
Old Jul 26, 2010, 03:06 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
Hey Palo you keep on lurking us to Slovakia, planes, slopes, thermals, girls, man I have to start saving for nexts years contest in Hollic

By the way in the old days some people use to send money in "christmast" cards the trick is to put the bank notes in between "carbon paper" sheets

EZ
Old Aug 02, 2010, 02:42 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
weekend update+

Just a small update, on saturday I took my bolero for a short flying session, the main goal was to trim better the flaps and practice spot landing. the results were impresive the first flight 10 minutes with 30 secs motor, the altimeter said the I had limbed to 243 m, the landing was a bit too short, some two meters away from "spot" (my jumper) the second flight was just to trim better the flaps and calculate the rate of climb, on the third flight I reduced the motor run to 26 secs with result of 10 min flight and about 3 meters landing from spot, the speed was good but my approaching path was stupidly wrong.

The conditions were very good, slight breez and good thermiks combined with blue skies, again many birds on the air but this time the thermik was thigh and it looked really crowed so I just flew away.

I was fascinated that I did most of my flights (10 min) realtivelly low, catching thermals on DLG altitute (70-80 meters) the Bolero evolves really good on this conditions, the presence of lift is clearly shown with a high tail attitude, the rudder response is incredible.

I moved the CG a bit forward this time and the plane was like flying on rails, plus I added a mix aleiron to flap ( about 19%) and that smothed the turns and the general flight.

Next step will be to reduce the motor run to 20 or 15 secs which will give me about 150 meter starting height, I also have to train on windier days I think that one must be prepared and trained on the worst conditions possible that are usually the conditions one will have on a contest day

regards

EZ
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:47 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
Another weekend, more flights, I had to change the flaps servos because they were giving me some trouble, now the plane is back to is great performance, the back CoG is the best so far, today I manage a 9 minutes flight staring at 150m the highes altitude was 301 meters not bad.

NOw I am wating for the arrival of two Bolero wing sets, I will be building an extended version about 2.5meter and a creature 1.5m easy transport REFM plane, I will post some pictures when Im done , now just wait for the post to come.

here is a link to Palo's latest creation

TRICKmaidenFLT (4 min 21 sec)

Regards

EZ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:58 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
Guess who forgot his camera???

THat said, just an small update. I maiden today the new two members of the Bolero family.

The first one is the Bolero 2.56m, an extended version of the Bolero the flying characteristics are great, it was just the trim flight but I manage to climb to 238m there were coupple of strong thermals and I ride them till I felt cofortable, the visibility was not so good. Again I mange to ride two thermals with big birds, I suppose some late storks. ALl in all vary satisfyed with this model the best part was when I was trying the brakes and the sudendly the plane was climbing, just by coincidence I hit the centre of the thermal, so I change queckly to thermal mode and flew away.

THe second plane is a 1.5m that I call the MAMBO, I build it using the ribs from the Bolero but has a different fuselaje and the tail group is DLG like. I think the CoG was to forward. BUt the plane was controllable, it flys really fast and needs more asjustments on the brake mix :P I will check the plane later and will make coupple of pictures, I forgot to messure the wing incidence :P probably too big

I will post some pictures next time,

EZ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
tender
Europe - Slovakia
Joined Oct 2004
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwinzea View Post
...the new two members of the Bolero family.I will post some pictures next time, EZ
Congratulations... And one question only: When will be NEXT TIME ?

Palo
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:40 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,891 Posts
Quicker update, My camara has no batery :P I need to charge it overnight. I checked CoG and it was a bit forward I will put a small ammount of lead on the tail to solve the problem, the wing incidence was OK 1.8 degrees I will try to reduce it to 1.5.

Photos, comming sooooooon

EZ
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:48 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,123 Posts
I have a Sensor Plus from Riva. It's a really nicely made sailplane. I wish I could find more kits from them.
gquiring is online now Find More Posts by gquiring