SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:02 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,726 Posts
OK have it your way, I should have stated commonly available at reasonable cost with US support.

Now can we please get back to Thread purpose which is iCharger 3010b PL8 comparison.

RC Man brought up the Thunder Power charger question and here we go off on a tangent .

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2010, 09:15 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
OK have it your way, I should have stated commonly available at reasonable cost with US support.

Now can we please get back to Thread purpose which is iCharger 3010b PL8 comparison.

RC Man brought up the Thunder Power charger question and here we go off on a tangent .

Charles
As long as you can get your facts straight I don't think continuing the thread will be a problem. The fact is, the Schulze and Orbit were commonly available as they were the only high power chargers available at the time.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:37 PM
FW190
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Joined Jun 2008
86 Posts
I'm going to be buying a Powerlab 8 & I use mostly Zippy batteries with JST-XH balance connectors. Does FMA have a balance board for this connector in 2S-6S. Thanks.
TigerI is offline Find More Posts by TigerI
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,726 Posts
Yes they have adapters for most every type balancing connector however be advised that they also now have a new business model where shipping if direct from the manufacture and shipping cost are high for small items so be sure and order any adapters you need when you order the charger.

Announched here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279425

http://www.fmadirect.com/
Old Aug 12, 2010, 06:59 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Here is the direct link to Revolectrix. This is FMA's business partner where the FMA products are ordered from.

http://www.revolectrix.com/

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:06 PM
FW190
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Joined Jun 2008
86 Posts
Thanks Everyday, do you happen to know if the JST_XH coonectors I need are the GP/KO board that FMA sells. Thanks Glen for the addy.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:19 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Yes the GP/KO is the one you want.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Aug 12, 2010, 07:39 PM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Earlier I listed some comparions . Here are some likes / dislikes

iCharger can be used to discharge Lipolys to store without having to use balancing leads. PL8 requires balancing leads which is a bother at times and seems unnecessary as it does not balance during discharge,however PL8 does monitor cells voltages during discharge and leaves cells closer to 3.85 each. .

3010B had built in ability to store the charge / discharge (cycle) data for 10 cycles and PL 8 does not (must be used with interface and computer to log cycles).

PL8 can discharge at 100 watts internal discharge without heating issues in what I call normal temperatures. 3010B has 60 watts set by default and can be bumped up to 80 watts but gets way to hot past 60 watts ,IMO.

Both are capable of Regenerative discharging but as above PL8 requires balancing leads and 3010B does not.

Charles
Thanks for all the time/effort you put into testing Charles.

I'm in the market for one of these chargers, and I stepped into some planes that fly 6S 5000mAh+ packs, and can no longer live with my 50w charger, heh.

I like the fact you mention the PL8 can discharge at 100 watts without heating issues - as sometimes I return from the field with charge lipos, and I don't have a deep cell so regenerative discharging really isn't an option for me.

I also like to see that the PL8 has faster balancing compared to the 3010b, albeit not that much faster, it still is a tad bit faster. Do you think I would ever notice the difference being that I fly 6s 5000mAh packs?

Thanks for the comparisons!
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Last edited by jholen; Aug 12, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 05:29 AM
FW190
Stuarts Draft, Virginia
Joined Jun 2008
86 Posts
Thanks again Glen!
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:29 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholen View Post
Thanks for all the time/effort you put into testing Charles.

I'm in the market for one of these chargers, and I stepped into some planes that fly 6S 5000mAh+ packs, and can no longer live with my 50w charger, heh.

I like the fact you mention the PL8 can discharge at 100 watts without heating issues - as sometimes I return from the field with charge lipos, and I don't have a deep cell so regenerative discharging really isn't an option for me.

I also like to see that the PL8 has faster balancing compared to the 3010b, albeit not that much faster, it still is a tad bit faster. Do you think I would ever notice the difference being that I fly 6s 5000mAh packs?

Thanks for the comparisons!
A high balance current becomes more important as packs age and the cells become uneven. For new packs that have well matched cells it wonít make much difference.

Personally I think that high balance current is important. I really donít know why iCharger made a 30 amp charger with such low balance current. It just doesnít make any sense to me.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 13, 2010, 10:43 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,726 Posts
Quote:
I really don’t know why iCharger made a 30 amp charger with such low balance current
Well it makes just as much sense as it does for FMA to make the CP10 with a max of 10A charge rate and 1A balancing and then to turn around and release the final(?) PowerLab8 Firmware with balancing limited to 1A when max. charge rate is 30 Amps.

CellPro 10 has balancing power equal to 1/10(10%) of charging power and PowerLab 8 only has 1/30 (3.33%) . Still aprox twice that of the iCharger 3010B.

What amazes me is that Thunder Power 210BV Smart balancer had 450 mAh of balancing power almost 5 years ago when most were using smaller packs and now that large packs are the norm no one has stepped up with some really serious balancing power.

OK , I know full well that matched cells do not require balancing much if any at all and I fully realize that many are happy with a Blinky type balancer that has approx. 50 mA balancing power which IMO is a sad joke with anything larger than a 850 mAh LiPoly or one that does not really require balancing in the first place.

Charles
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:32 AM
Ride Blue
United States, WA, Sammamish
Joined Aug 2006
1,495 Posts
So could a future firmware release allow either charger to open up its balancing potential?
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
Old Aug 13, 2010, 11:54 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,726 Posts
Yes but it is not going to happen IMO.

One of those areas that I have been requested not to discuss on the boards.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:32 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,619 Posts
Quote:
Well it makes just as much sense as it does for FMA to make the CP10 with a max of 10A charge rate and 1A balancing and then to turn around and release the final(?) PowerLab8 Firmware with balancing limited to 1A when max. charge rate is 30 Amps.

CellPro 10 has balancing power equal to 1/10(10%) of charging power and PowerLab 8 only has 1/30 (3.33%) . Still aprox twice that of the iCharger 3010B.

What amazes me is that Thunder Power 210BV Smart balancer had 450 mAh of balancing power almost 5 years ago when most were using smaller packs and now that large packs are the norm no one has stepped up with some really serious balancing power.

OK , I know full well that matched cells do not require balancing much if any at all and I fully realize that many are happy with a Blinky type balancer that has approx. 50 mA balancing power which IMO is a sad joke with anything larger than a 850 mAh LiPoly or one that does not really require balancing in the first place.

Charles

You are correct, the PL8 and 3010B should both have 3 amp balance current. Balance at 10% does seam like a good goal for any charger. Since you are in contact with some of the designers you should suggest that, especially to the iCharger designers.

Thatís especially for us that fly large high voltage packs and fly them as long as possible because they are expensive.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 13, 2010, 02:37 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,690 Posts
It's my understanding that the PL8 originally had 2Ah balancing capability per node, but this was reduced to 1Ah/node in the final production version. Perhaps some of the beta testers can confirm this.
Ohmic is offline Find More Posts by Ohmic