HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:16 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Just what I need to read aslo. So with this cable and the balance style changed a paraboard used on an iCharger will work changing parallel to 6 common cell packs?
Yes
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:26 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post

If I am interpreting your post correctly you shouldn't need any additional cables.

Your PL8 came with one JST-HX balance adapter board. This is to be used to connect one battery pack to the PL8.

You also got one PL8 power cable. This connects your battery pack main leads to the PL8. It has bare ends because FMA doesn't know which connector type is on your battery.

The Paraboard came with one JST-XH balance cable. However this cable will not connect directly to the PL8. Apparently you also got the cable which will connect directly to the PL8. Use this cable. Put the other cable aside. You do not need it.

Thank you for the information. Right now I can't use the charger till the power supply cable arrives (ec5>spade), plus I still quite sick with a virus and don't feel like much of anything now anyway.

I don't think the paraboard is defective, I think it just has the wrong size banana plugs on it. If I upload a picture, can you compare to yours?

I did notice this: If I plug in the banana to bare wire connections into the pl8, then plug the paraboard into the back of the banana plugs it fits tight like it should.
No, I am NOT going to use it this way, but did wonder why this works but direct into the pl8 does not..

Oh and thanks about the charging across the room issue. I have done it in the past, but won't take any chances. As far as the paraboard goes, if it is indeed incompatible , I don't mind springing for an mpa.

thanks again for all the help,
Fletch

[/QUOTE]
fletch is offline Find More Posts by fletch
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
I bought this cable for my PL8 to paraboard connection.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=243
Don't forget to go into the PL8 and change it to HX/EH. You can find the instructions for this on page 61 of the manual.
Thanks! I have the cable but did not know about the configuration change.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:52 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,157 Posts
Fletch,

Here's hoping you get rid of that bug soon.

Since the banana plugs on the Paraboard fit snugly into the safety plugs on your bare wire cable they are apparently the correct plugs. I assume you are pushing the Paraboard bananas into the socket on the PL8 as far as you can.

Measure the amount of connector that protrudes from the plastic insulator. The ones on my Paraboard measure about 17/32 of an inch. They don't feel like they seat into the sockets on the PL8 until the last 3/16 of an inch. If yours are shorter than that use a very sharp Exacto blade and trim about 1/8 inch from the plastic insulator. That would allow the banana plug to insert farther into the socket.

I just did that with my Paraboard bananas and the do seat much better into the PL8.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:33 AM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Fletch,

Here's hoping you get rid of that bug soon.

Since the banana plugs on the Paraboard fit snugly into the safety plugs on your bare wire cable they are apparently the correct plugs. I assume you are pushing the Paraboard bananas into the socket on the PL8 as far as you can.

Glen
Glen,
You figured it out...it was my fault. I did not wish to break anything and was not pushing hard enough .

Looks like power supply cable will be delivered tonight so might get to start setting it up this weekend.

Thanks again,
Fletch
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:02 PM
What's Nitro?
United States, IL, Schaumburg
Joined Dec 2007
756 Posts
The box my PL8 came in had a sticker on the inside/top that said the manual could be downloaded from the FMA website.

Maybe they ran out of stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch View Post

Well my concern when I saw no manual or paper work was that I was accidentally shipped a broken or used one. I am just getting back into the hobby but went with FMA because they had a good rep back years ago ('99-20) so I thought something was up. The funny thing I remember is the Icharger looks kinda like what they looked like back then. Maybe they are really the same company But kidding aside they really should at least put in a piece of paper with something like: See website for manual.
RCnGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCnGuy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:59 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
I bought this cable for my PL8 to paraboard connection.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=243
Don't forget to go into the PL8 and change it to HX/EH. You can find the instructions for this on page 61 of the manual.
I must be blind because I did not see it in the manual. But I did see how to do it on the fma website (video).

My ps cable came in...it's all working...about to try and put a small heli batt in storage using preset 7.
My power supply is 12v/25amp so I set supply to 11.9 and 24amps for a small margin
..here goes!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:42 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
I must be blind because I did not see it in the manual. But I did see how to do it on the fma website (video).

My ps cable came in...it's all working...about to try and put a small heli batt in storage using preset 7.
My power supply is 12v/25amp so I set supply to 11.9 and 24amps for a small margin
..here goes!
Well it worked great and did not burn my house down

Also I had an older ver of the manual and that is why I could not find the XH change.

Have old Triton charger....anyone want it or should I just trash it?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:46 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,445 Posts
Quote:
Have old Triton charger....anyone want it or should I just trash it?
I'll take it if you no longer want it! Obviously, I will pick up shipping charges. They're good for charging my NiMH packs.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:36 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I'll take it if you no longer want it! Obviously, I will pick up shipping charges. They're good for charging my NiMH packs.

Mark
Sure...pm me and it's yours..
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:18 AM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
Let us know how this works out. The reviews were very mixed on Amazon. Some devices worked, others did not. It would be good to know if it does work with the Powerlab.

BTW, never charge unattended

I contacted the company about this and they say it should work if data transfer rate is not too high and unit is close to router. PL 8 is like less than 10 feet away from router and I honestly don't see the PL 8 as needing a lot of bandwidth . If there is a problem it will be with the USB driver. I should have it by the weekend and will report back when I know something more. If it doesn't work , no loss as easy to return.

Pretty sure it from feedback it should work in ad hoc wireless mode, but if it comes to that, will setup extra router for this only purpose and leave main router alone as ad hoc will disable normal internet access.

And no,I don't want to blindly charge from remote, just want data saved on my desktop/server rather than company owned laptop.

BTW thank you for help on my storage preset graphing ?s. I did inquire about average discharge rate for 300x and was given the formula to calculate. But ballpark is 12 amps so default rate of 10amps for preset 7 is not too high I don't think. But will reduce if it will prolong battery life.

Will report back when I know more ....
Fletch
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:14 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,004 Posts
Quote:
I contacted the company about this and they say it should work if data transfer rate is not too high and unit is close to router. PL 8 is like less than 10 feet away from router and I honestly don't see the PL 8 as needing a lot of bandwidth . If there is a problem it will be with the USB driver. I should have it by the weekend and will report back when I know something more. If it doesn't work , no loss as easy to return.

Pretty sure it from feedback it should work in ad hoc wireless mode, but if it comes to that, will setup extra router for this only purpose and leave main router alone as ad hoc will disable normal internet access.

And no,I don't want to blindly charge from remote, just want data saved on my desktop/server rather than company owned laptop.

BTW thank you for help on my storage preset graphing ?s. I did inquire about average discharge rate for 300x and was given the formula to calculate. But ballpark is 12 amps so default rate of 10amps for preset 7 is not too high I don't think. But will reduce if it will prolong battery life.

Will report back when I know more ....
Fletch
Thanks for the update, keep us posted. Regarding the discharge rate for the 300x pack, if you are reaching storage voltage in less than 2 minutes, that would be too fast. As the CV stage will be shorter if the discharge rate is lower, there is point of diminishing returns. I think I would target a discharge timeframe from 7 to 10 minutes.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:46 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the update, keep us posted. Regarding the discharge rate for the 300x pack, if you are reaching storage voltage in less than 2 minutes, that would be too fast. As the CV stage will be shorter if the discharge rate is lower, there is point of diminishing returns. I think I would target a discharge timeframe from 7 to 10 minutes.
I am probably not understanding the results, but the 300x pack took about 10 min total and the 450x pack took about 12min. I was watching the screen and I think it was discharging at a high rate in the beginning and then started to roll off for both packs.

What about charging 300x pack and then trying again at say 5amps discharge?

Thanks,
Fletch
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:22 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,004 Posts
I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of posting the charge of your 300x discharge. This is the current discharge showing the high discharge rate at the start (constant current phase), followed by the slow tapering of the current unit the discharge is done (constant voltage phase).

During the constant current phase, the pack reaches 3.83v per cell in 39 seconds, which is pretty fast. At that point the charger holds the pack voltage at 3.83v and slowly tapers the current off, compensating for the bounce back when the load is lifted.

I'd agree that 5 amps would be better. What you should see is the initial drop to 3.83v should take longer. But the constant voltage stage should be short.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dual Powerlab Case Project
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:47 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of posting the charge of your 300x discharge. This is the current discharge showing the high discharge rate at the start (constant current phase), followed by the slow tapering of the current unit the discharge is done (constant voltage phase).

During the constant current phase, the pack reaches 3.83v per cell in 39 seconds, which is pretty fast. At that point the charger holds the pack voltage at 3.83v and slowly tapers the current off, compensating for the bounce back when the load is lifted.

I'd agree that 5 amps would be better. What you should see is the initial drop to 3.83v should take longer. But the constant voltage stage should be short.
No problem....let me know if I am doing something wrong. Will charge again and then do storage at 5 amps and will repost,

Thanks,
Fletch