HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Discussion
DIY V7 Ultimate 140 Blade for Walkera 4G6(S), V120D02, and 4G3, released!

Finally, my best mod yet! Please download attachment for both the DIY guide and template!

V7 Ultimate 140 Blade in a nutshell:

-Best aerodynamic performance and efficiency - reduces bogging by a great degree and makes helicopter still easily controllable even in the most demanding maneuvers!
-Highest blade stability reduces fluttering, vibration, and tracking issues, also makes helicopter more stable and easier to fly while agility improved too! - more ideal for both flybarred and FBL versions.
-Best crash protection offered, also the easiest and fastest to repair.
-Dramatically reduces crash cost!

Looking for a blade that offers highest performance and efficiency, best crash protection, makes your helicopter easier to fly, and reduces crashing costs dramatically? Don't believe such blade exists? Well here it is and it's DIY!

The rest of the mods applied in the 4G6 used in the demo you can access by clicking this picture below

V7 Ultimate 140 Blade for Walkera 4G6(S), V120D02, and 4G3 (9 min 47 sec)

Timewerx is offline Find More Posts by Timewerx
Last edited by Timewerx; Jul 31, 2010 at 01:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:05 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
WinRar and WinZip won't unpack it...
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 24, 2010, 03:29 PM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Just re-packed the guide in the latest winzip 14.5. Download from here:
http://www.winzip.com/downwz.htm

Please let me know if it's working now, thanks!

P.S. I had to put it in a zip file because the pdf file is too big for attachments with 3.12 mb filesize.
Last edited by Timewerx; Jul 24, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 04:31 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,291 Posts
Zip works fine now.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:54 PM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Thanks for letting me know and glad it works now!

If someone has already tried the blade, 3D, whatever, I'd like to hear your feedback, thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:37 AM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Just a warning, if anyone has done my previous blade mods, I would urge to read through all the instructions instead of skipping some of the steps. There's a significant change, especially the type of adhesive used to bond the blade to the graphite core. The new method should result to a bond that will last many crashes without compromising its integrity.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 01:59 PM
Purdue Engineering
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
2,648 Posts
Timewerx,

How do you reccomend the templates be scaled when printing? My blades either come out too small (when "Fit to page" is used) or too big (when "No Scaling") is used. Should the blades measure 140mm from root to tip, or smaller to account for the added length of the original blade root?
Rocketman1092 is online now Find More Posts by Rocketman1092
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:24 AM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman1092 View Post
Timewerx,

How do you reccomend the templates be scaled when printing? My blades either come out too small (when "Fit to page" is used) or too big (when "No Scaling") is used. Should the blades measure 140mm from root to tip, or smaller to account for the added length of the original blade root?
Hi Rocketman, I have updated the guide. Please download again and visit Step 20a and Step 20b for the printing guide.

Thanks for your feedback! I thought it was all default print settings, I forgot I did one change to the print settings in Adobe Reader.

But in case, the settings are still giving you trouble for other reasons or using other than Adobe Reader to open PDF files, Step 20b provides good reference if you prefer to scale the printing yourself to the specified actual measurements. Use the jpeg template provided in the zip file in that case, to conveniently scale the print yourself.

Good Luck and Thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:36 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
About size

Hello,
Im working in reducing size of my 4g6s helis and would like to know if this kind of blades improves efficiency. If it is yes,do you think I can scale them to a reduced lenght and yet get the trust of the original ones? (75-80 mm blades would be the size I need)
Best regards from Spain,
Doblao
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:11 AM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao View Post
Hello,
Im working in reducing size of my 4g6s helis and would like to know if this kind of blades improves efficiency. If it is yes,do you think I can scale them to a reduced lenght and yet get the trust of the original ones? (75-80 mm blades would be the size I need)
Best regards from Spain,
Doblao
Yes you can make it shorter, while retaining blade width. But to generate similar maximum thrust of the 'full size' blade, the motor had to work harder.

The math that explains this is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_loading#Theory

In a nutshell, why shorter blades need more work from the motor is it needs to make higher velocity 'exhaust' to generate the same thrust with longer blades. While longer blades exhausts a bigger volume at a lower speed, the relation of volume is linear while speed is squared due to kinetic energy.

But good new is, since the gear ratios are not optimized, you may get higher efficiency with shorter blades. I can't say for sure with 75 - 80 mm, you just need to try it out. Although one thing I can guarantee you, collective and cyclic performance will get worse with shorter blades.

Lastly, the V7 Ultimate blade in its original size of 140mm should be more efficient than conventional blades due its elliptical lift distribution which full size helicopters also employ through blade washout. The V7 blade does it with taper. Theories aside, and with high quality worksmanship, the V7 blade should give better than 10% of actual increased hover time and about 50% increased flight time in aggressive flying/3D. The blade also remains controllable and stable at higher blade angle of attack (angle of airstream against the blade pitch) compared to conventional design allowing you to make more aggressive and tighter maneuvers... Making your 4G6 a true indoor 3D heli!
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:23 AM
Joined Dec 2009
2,089 Posts
Timewerx, some guys are making smaller "moth" 4G6s and 120do2. Then cut the stock blades. Can you shrink your blades on the computer and make them work.
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:02 PM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Timewerx, some guys are making smaller "moth" 4G6s and 120do2. Then cut the stock blades. Can you shrink your blades on the computer and make them work.
[edit post]
Last edited by Timewerx; Jul 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2009
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, when I said " Can you shrink your blades" I should of said "can people shrink your blades".
my bad
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:21 PM
Philippines
Joined Mar 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, when I said " Can you shrink your blades" I should of said "can people shrink your blades".
my bad
No problem! I think they can do that, they can distort it somehow with any graphics software, reducing the length while keeping the width.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:26 AM
la fabrique circulaire
geneva
Joined Jan 2008
550 Posts
Thank a lot for this great TIPs Timewerx

I post it on Helimag.com

Jay
terry74 is offline Find More Posts by terry74