HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:24 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
You missed two antennas on the update: A helical and the cloverleaf. I fly these at 1280MHz and like them a lot. They haven't made it to my blog yet. Readymade RC will be carrying these antennas in the near future as well.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 06:52 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,530 Posts
Can anyone recommend any light weight antenna for the BOB or SunSky 1.2Ghz 700-800mW units ? the stock Tx antenna is really heavy at almost 30g !
i3dm is offline Find More Posts by i3dm
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:15 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
Any DIY antenna will be lighter. The cloverleaf is a bit big, but is only 15g. The Vee and dipole weigh about 10g. The how-to's are on the first page of this thread.

I can also build them for you if needed.

-Alex
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:42 AM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
Any DIY antenna will be lighter. The cloverleaf is a bit big, but is only 15g. The Vee and dipole weigh about 10g. The how-to's are on the first page of this thread.

I can also build them for you if needed.

-Alex
Alex,

Whats the cost if you build them and which one is better for long range ?
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:36 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
The dipole is the best for long range. The Vee is best for general purpose flying. The cloverleaf is circularly polarized and is best for use where multipathing is a concern.

I sell the Vees and dipoles for $15 as does Flytron. Ready made RC and DPCAV also have Vees.

-Alex
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:37 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
here's the helical antenna tutorial. It IS compataible with Lawmate RX units. It matches to the Cloverleaf and Skew-planar wheel. This is my 1.3GHz system of choice now

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1377791
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:02 PM
RC pilot by soul
Israel
Joined Apr 2005
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
The dipole is the best for long range. The Vee is best for general purpose flying. The cloverleaf is circularly polarized and is best for use where multipathing is a concern.

I sell the Vees and dipoles for $15 as does Flytron. Ready made RC and DPCAV also have Vees.

-Alex
Can you make them for 900Mhz also ?
Old Mar 02, 2011, 06:55 PM
Just want to fly...
Brazil
Joined Mar 2009
357 Posts
FatShark 1.2G

Here is my FatShark (sort of) conversion to 1.2G, using the Lawmate Rx.

It is a quite simple solution, so I am surprised that I had not seen it done /published by anyone yet.

To power the 12v RX, I replaced the 2S900mAh FS battery by a 3S1000mAh (not shown), and from the charge lead I pull 2S to the FS and 3S to the RX. Working good so far - probably not so good for the battery longevity but gets the job done.

Now I can finally fly on my neighborhood without the need of an awkward base station!

Cheers,
LFLoTiTo is offline Find More Posts by LFLoTiTo
Old Mar 02, 2011, 07:31 PM
Why is the Rum gone?
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Mar 2008
1,668 Posts
My friend made a V antenna, it works. But you have to touch one of the two tips each time turned on for you to get solid image, what does this mean???
sim_io is offline Find More Posts by sim_io
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:17 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
I haven't a clue why. That makes no sense why that would happen.

-Alex
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:28 PM
Oxford, MS
Joined Dec 2005
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFLoTiTo View Post
Here is my FatShark (sort of) conversion to 1.2G, using the Lawmate Rx.

It is a quite simple solution, so I am surprised that I had not seen it done /published by anyone yet.

To power the 12v RX, I replaced the 2S900mAh FS battery by a 3S1000mAh (not shown), and from the charge lead I pull 2S to the FS and 3S to the RX. Working good so far - probably not so good for the battery longevity but gets the job done.

Now I can finally fly on my neighborhood without the need of an awkward base station!

Cheers,
The Fat Sharks work great on a 3S 11.1v Lipo plugged directly into the goggles with no step down. Tim at ReadyMadeRC.com told me that and I tried it and they handle the voltage just fine.
replayreb is offline Find More Posts by replayreb
Old Mar 02, 2011, 10:52 PM
Just want to fly...
Brazil
Joined Mar 2009
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayreb View Post
The Fat Sharks work great on a 3S 11.1v Lipo plugged directly into the goggles with no step down. Tim at ReadyMadeRC.com told me that and I tried it and they handle the voltage just fine.
Really? That is great news!
I would consult Fatshark first though, just to make sure they have a proper internal regulator and not an out of spec tolerance (that would eventually fail).

***up-dated*** Here is the straight answer from Fatshark: "The AE versions (with integrated RX) definitely cannot accept more than 9V input. Anything over 9.5V will burn out the LCD driver in a short time. And the RX PCB will overheat as well as it has a linear 5V regulator for the RX." Perhaps you have a different model, or just got lucky, but mine (aviator edition) can't work on 3S.
***end of up-date***

Thanks for the info!
Cheers,
LFLoTiTo is offline Find More Posts by LFLoTiTo
Last edited by LFLoTiTo; Mar 09, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:23 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
My friend made a V antenna, it works. But you have to touch one of the two tips each time turned on for you to get solid image, what does this mean???
I had the same problem... with the sunsky tx/rx.. im not sure, but the antenna might have been bent by tape..

now, it works fine, without touching. [btw, antenna guys, you HAD to touch the inverted v ant.. no changing channels/turning batts on and off on rx or tx would work..]

using this : http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=234
El1m1nate is offline Find More Posts by El1m1nate
Old Mar 03, 2011, 05:45 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Oct 2010
114 Posts
i got the '800mw' 9x dino tx...

so far:
gets warm very quick on 9v..
IC has name shaved off inside
ch 4 on my sunsky receiver : with a 1280MHz IBCrazy patch [great tutorial, works well!]
no range test done yet [will get solid vid source first, no more crappy HK cam]
has a pot for adjusting vid voltage..
some crappy antenna - measures 85mm
800MW printed on the pcb .. yeah right
a sot component with RF written on it [haha]
lots of hot glue around the edges
better pcb internals than the sunsky [no flux, extra components]
no audio in wire...

interesting - 2 pins of the hc175 are unsoldered from the pcb - in the air with solder on them - 13 & 14

How would i go about changing the antenna? take the hot glue out, try to find signal and gnd? what about matching the impedance?

I have an osc and an open logic sniffer.. i can do any tests if you need me to..

great part - paid $12AU for it with shipping lets hope i can get up to 1km for my new mscomposit mini swift!

edit: seems to change freq without top cover..
El1m1nate is offline Find More Posts by El1m1nate
Old Mar 03, 2011, 09:32 AM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim_io View Post
I've had the same issue. No idea why. Mine is a home made V on 900MHz.

V - Antenna Issue (2 min 12 sec)

Bruce
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566