Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:03 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Does anyone know the stock antennas DBI for the receiver of the Sunsky 800mw combo? Im looking to get a higher gain omni antenna
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:06 PM
Thou who know not
USA, MI, Mason
Joined Jul 2010
937 Posts
2-3DBI on the correct frequency. That fequency varies unit to unit.
Po73 is offline Find More Posts by Po73
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:16 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
thanks, hmmm now where to fine a high gain 1.3ghz omni antenna, ive seen 1.2ghz but im pretty it wont work well with 1280, Im already getting 2km with stock and its fine but hopefully that will bump me up another 1km or so
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:34 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
higher gain omni antenna?

I suggest you do a LOT of reading on antennas. A higher gain on the transmitter will do nothing for you- only make things worse.

and 1.2=1.3 in the world of premade antennas, unless you build your own.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Feb 06, 2011, 03:49 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
I do need to do more reading, to much fun flying lately. But im going to use it for the receiver, Also i see alot that 1.2ghz only goes from 1080-1200 where as 1.3ghz goes from 1180 - 1300, which is 1280 no?
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:28 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
low gain omni has a pattern essentially like a ball. A high gain omni smooshes that ball into a washer shape.

For the receiver, you want to use a 1.2/1.3ghz patch antenna.

Yes, 1280 essentially fits in the 1.3ghz band, but between atmospheric distortion, and manufacturing, the two are essentially identical. If you really want, it's easy to trim a 1.2ghz patch to exactly the right frequency of 1280. However, based on the conditions (humidity), that "perfectly" tuned 1280 patch could be resonating anywhere from 1000mhz to 1400mhz.

So yes, 1280 exactly may be best, but a 1.2ghz patch will work as well.
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Feb 06, 2011, 04:38 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
I see, Im really stumped now, I mostly do FPV in circles around me, so a patch wouldnt work too well with out a tracker inless I move it by hand, I should invest in a diversity system maybe? hmmm, i guess ill get a 8dbi patch soon and use that for longer range flights that stay within the beam and the omni one for close range.

thanks for the help
Old Feb 06, 2011, 05:11 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2008
617 Posts
I've tested my omni to 5km (would go further, but my RC link will never go this far, so no point in testing further) in ground testing with 100% solid video in all orientations. I've also tested my customized 1280 l-com patch for flight behind it, and I was easily able to fly 1/2 a km behind the patch with good video. So it just all depends on how far behind yourself you want to fly.

I've heard of guys flying at 1km behind a patch, but I didn't wanna risk my plane in the air to test it. I'll likely do a ground test in spring and see.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old Feb 06, 2011, 06:12 PM
France
Joined May 2006
657 Posts
what TX was it on the 5 km ground range test you did ?
vulpina is offline Find More Posts by vulpina
Old Feb 06, 2011, 10:03 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
pm me we can meet up in person

I have got lots of fpv stuff that I will sell to you cheap like 50 % off or less, oracle divercity, video rx's/tx's and patches etc.

only interested in a bulk sell however

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz View Post
I see, Im really stumped now, I mostly do FPV in circles around me, so a patch wouldnt work too well with out a tracker inless I move it by hand, I should invest in a diversity system maybe? hmmm, i guess ill get a 8dbi patch soon and use that for longer range flights that stay within the beam and the omni one for close range.

thanks for the help
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 06, 2011, 11:25 PM
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2010
16 Posts
wrong thread - mispost - disregard
LooseTooth is offline Find More Posts by LooseTooth
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:29 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2008
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpina View Post
what TX was it on the 5 km ground range test you did ?
LawMate 1280 1W TX w/ matching RX. Tuned 1280 inverted vee on tx & an aftermarket 1.3dbi omni on rx. I haven't torn-down the 1.3 to see the exact frequency as I was planning to mod it to 1280, but at this point it's amazing stock! I couldn't be more happy with my setup to be honest.

In spring I'll test and see what the max range of the omni is... Will be useless to me without a LRS, but I'm interested to know if it'll do 8 or 10km.
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp
Old Feb 08, 2011, 11:47 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sanford View Post
Yea, but the BOB transmitter is just a cheap Chinese copy and doesn't put out 700 watts like the ReadyMadeRC VTx!

Doesn't marketing hype like this get old... Too bad the web designer or copy writer has no clue what they're selling...
I've verified that the transmitters I sell output what they SAY they output. I went through a LOT of manufacturers to find components that weren't hyped. I didn't just copy the data from the manufacturer's web page and put them on mine, I MEASURED them. I really enjoyed the TX's that claimed to be over 2W that were putting out only about 100mW...
After all the "crap" I tested, I know it sounds self serving, but you're really gambling with your money purchasing from all these overseas "sources".

Tim
www.readymaderc.com
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:10 PM
Epic Huckin'
Surrey, BC
Joined Jun 2007
2,388 Posts
Its official for my vTX that it wont turn on in cold weather, i fly at a small power line valley across the street from my house when i dont have time to go to the field, and i have to plug my vtx in at home before i head out or else it will not power on properly inless i keep it in my hands for a few minutes, its cold even when stationary on the ground in this weather condition so as soon as i unplug all power to it, i gotta warm it up again.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:24 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,460 Posts
which vtx are you useing

Its not that cold here for this to be needed.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...ink_obs_last24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_kidz View Post
Its official for my vTX that it wont turn on in cold weather, i fly at a small power line valley across the street from my house when i dont have time to go to the field, and i have to plug my vtx in at home before i head out or else it will not power on properly inless i keep it in my hands for a few minutes, its cold even when stationary on the ground in this weather condition so as soon as i unplug all power to it, i gotta warm it up again.
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)