HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:53 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
Do you guys think attaching the rx to an aluminum pole to raise it high in the air really affects it's Rx capability? It is collapsable and thus way more convenient than PVC, or something. The case is grounded of course to all the stuff inside, so I have wondered if this being grounded to a big pole possibly introduces interference?

If so, do you think plastic washers and screws attaching it to the pole would be enough isolation for any problems?
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:55 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothercliff View Post
Non sequitur: The 700 and 800 have identical receivers.

Cliff
That is the question I have really been wondering the answer to..are they really identical? Somewhere someone seemed to notice differences in SAW filters among the units(sunsky vs BOB)? They sure look the same, but so do many other Chinese units of all bands. I have a 900 unit from Future Hobbies that is identical in every way except it has an SMA output instead of F.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:10 PM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
That is the question I have really been wondering the answer to..are they really identical? Somewhere someone seemed to notice differences in SAW filters among the units(sunsky vs BOB)? They sure look the same, but so do many other Chinese units of all bands. I have a 900 unit from Future Hobbies that is identical in every way except it has an SMA output instead of F.
Yes, they are the same receivers. I have a BOB and a Sunsky Fox 800mw system and the receivers are identical.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:13 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,504 Posts
Derek anything but air will effect your transmissions

re your ground station

those video rx's that looks the same are the same and really are not that great in quality
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 07, 2010, 09:17 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
Thanks guys, I was wondering. I will try mounting it differently to see if I can get rid of someof my strange interferences.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:44 PM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Yep, they are the same receivers. Its the norm in manufacturing that components vary sometimes depending on availability/pricing as long as they are within manufacture's specs. Quality wise, at their prices I'm not complaining,
masam54 is offline Find More Posts by masam54
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:58 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Quote:
Oh, sorry, I rechecked the lawmate is about $30 after shipping. But still, $30 difference for a 'better' Rx and Tx, if you dont mind 5v?

I say 'better' becasue I do not have a Lawmate, I just have asked several of the veteran FPV'rs here and ALL of them I asked told me Lawmate was the way to go. Granted they also are mosly using the 2.4 channels. And When I asked David22, he at least uses a LM RX. (Thanks David for your advice)

BUT, I also do not have a Sunsky unit. I have only 2 BOB units, which for me are working out to be a waste of money. Range just really sucks, not even counting that I am getting local interference at my favorite field (but not the BOB's fault I guess). I wish I would have tried Sunsky, as they seem to be better units. Kmart is getting 1 mile with stock omnis? JEALOUS
Just saw this.

Yep! Workin' great for me. No filtering on anything, straight up stock antennas. Unfortunately, I left my stock TX antenna on the ground when i was "Flying in God's Country", so I ordered a custom one from Alex. So now I should be doin' even better. Although I still have never hit the limits of my video. I usually fly at 2k feet up then XX feet out.

-Kevin
(All Radian videos with stock everything)

This one is the furthest for me.
Radian FPV 2 (4 min 48 sec)
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Aug 08, 2010, 08:55 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Do you guys think attaching the rx to an aluminum pole to raise it high in the air really affects it's Rx capability? It is collapsable and thus way more convenient than PVC, or something. The case is grounded of course to all the stuff inside, so I have wondered if this being grounded to a big pole possibly introduces interference?

If so, do you think plastic washers and screws attaching it to the pole would be enough isolation for any problems?
It may help it, it may hurt it. If I wanted to use an aluminum pole, I would test it compared to plastic of the same height. Fly three flights out to the edge of your video reception with the receiver set up on:
- the plastic pole
- the aluminum pole with the receiver touching the pole
- the aluminum pole with the receiver insulated from the pole

Having a dipole (as maybe opposed to a patch) up in the air helps. At least for line of sight issues.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2008
18,504 Posts
thats recorded on board?
right?

not a good representation on the video link?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
Just saw this.

Yep! Workin' great for me. No filtering on anything, straight up stock antennas. Unfortunately, I left my stock TX antenna on the ground when i was "Flying in God's Country", so I ordered a custom one from Alex. So now I should be doin' even better. Although I still have never hit the limits of my video. I usually fly at 2k feet up then XX feet out.

-Kevin

http://www.vimeo.com/13303679
Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:09 PM
Specializing in RC since 1972
Temple, GA, USA
Joined Jun 2009
3,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmart View Post
Just saw this.

-Kevin

http://www.vimeo.com/13303679
Nice!

Is that a Sony Webbie camera by any chance? Looks like HD recorded on board, not like SD video across an RF link.

Would have been a little better if there had been some description and maybe some arrows pointing out where the landing zone was.

Cliff
theothercliff is offline Find More Posts by theothercliff
Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:35 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
It is a Gopro according to his other posts, I think.

Hey, maybe this has been said and I missed it, but those digital 12 RXs might be the same across the board because I just started playing with my 900mhz one from Future Hobbies (which looks exactly like the BOB Rx except with SMA) and it received exactly the same channels, so I can use either Rx with both my 900 or 1200 systems. The Tx's look exactly the same too, even the center, main chip looks like the same numbers best I can tell but they definatly transmit on different freqs, with just 3 overlap channels at 1010, 1040, and 1080.

If this has been sai I have completely missed teh short bus on that one, I had no idea. I had even put tape on them marking them for their appropriate freqs since thet looked identical. I wonder if the stock antennas are identical as well (read extremely mismatched, possibly)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2010, 09:43 PM
Joined Apr 2008
18,504 Posts
if its 12 chanel digital yes

as i posted the channels in this thread

you guys should be getting the manuals and catalouge

It tells you everything and also shows the various antnnas etc that are available

see post #33

Quote:
It is a Gopro according to his other posts, I think.

Hey, maybe this has been said and I missed it, but those digital 12 RXs might be the same across the board because I just started playing with my 900mhz one from Future Hobbies (which looks exactly like the BOB Rx except with SMA) and it received exactly the same channels, so I can use either Rx with both my 900 or 1200 systems. The Tx's look exactly the same too,)
Old Aug 09, 2010, 02:17 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
I have check the output frequency of Lawmate 1.2 transmitter, its as flow

CH1- 1080MHz
CH2- 1120MHz
CH3- 1160MHz
CH4- 1200MHz
CH5- 1010MHz
CH6- 1040MHz
CH7- 1240MHz
CH8- 1280MHz

I just found a problem, picture is BW with Lawmate receiver and Fatshark goggles, Lawmate receiver has color output with Trimersion and Headpaly goggles and Fatshark has color with FOX receiver.
Talajouy is offline Find More Posts by Talajouy
Old Aug 09, 2010, 03:42 AM
Suspended Account
Netherlands, NH, Edam
Joined Jul 2004
5,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talajouy View Post
I just found a problem, picture is BW with Lawmate receiver and Fatshark goggles, Lawmate receiver has color output with Trimersion and Headpaly goggles and Fatshark has color with FOX receiver.
Video levels, many of the grey box receivers have a potmeter with which you can adjust the level, the Fatsharks can be a bit finnicky when the video levels are too high.

Cheers,

Sander.
ssassen is offline Find More Posts by ssassen
Old Aug 09, 2010, 10:27 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,668 Posts
I tried out one of the Sunsky 1.2Ghz 800mw TX/RX over the weekend. The video would drop out after a couple minutes. The TX was getting warm so I tried another anntenna. It seemed to help but would still drop out after a few minutes and then come right back on after a few secounds, drop out, on, ect. I've have two of these units, hope to try the other one today.

Anyone ever have this problem.

Thanks
scrape is offline Find More Posts by scrape