HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:49 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I use my Sunsky FOX 800 without a heat sink. Period.

ian
Doesn't yours get slightly too hot to touch? Mine does and i fear that a heatsink might infact be necessary.
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:52 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,500 Posts
I believe I also have the Sunsky Fox 800 without the heat sink, and it's been working great for me since I got it in August. It does get warm pretty quickly, but I have it mounted on top of my Hawk Sky fuselage where it gets plenty of ventilation in flight which keeps it cool enough. When ground testing I have to have a fan blowing on it.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
How hot the tx becomes during operation depends heavily on the specific antenna that is used with it. Poor antennas reflect much power back to the tx, therefore it gets hotter than when it is used with a good antenna.
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,470 Posts
Yes it gets hot, even with a good antenna. But it doesn't get hot enough to
cook itself, as long as it has at least one bare side open to the air.
The FOX800 has proven itself to be a pretty solid Tx.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:43 PM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Yes it gets hot, even with a good antenna. But it doesn't get hot enough to
cook itself, as long as it has at least one bare side open to the air.
The FOX800 has proven itself to be a pretty solid Tx.

ian
+1

mine also doesn't get enough hot to cook itself and has been working for +1 year
no heatsink being used
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:50 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
Anybody know if i can run a Sunsky 1.2GHz 800mw Tx on 4s (14.4V) and have any benefit like more output power?
Theo
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,470 Posts
I think that would be a bad idea.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:49 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
Pointless
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Last edited by garris2; Feb 12, 2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:25 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garris2 View Post
It wont have the desired effect because the internal voltage regulator will simply have to reduce the voltage even further and get hotter than before in the process.

To get more output power requires a higher output power amplifier which would require a complete redesign of the circuit. Easier to buy a more powerful transmitter. Better to put the money towards a better receiving antenna.
Thanks but i am happy as it is.
I read at a forum that this Tx can handle more than 12V and as a side effect it outputs more dB.
So there is an internal 12v regulator in there, right?
As a result it can work at lower voltages with lower output power but anything over 12V drops down to 12V creating extra heat.

I am asking because here you can see that voltage affects output power
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...64&postcount=5
Old Feb 12, 2012, 06:53 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
1,044 Posts
If you know all that then go for it.
garris2 is offline Find More Posts by garris2
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:11 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
Its probably my English....
forget about it.
Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined May 2009
292 Posts
So this FOX800 seems to have been a good (if impulsive) purchase. A few more questions, if I may:

-Is it advisable to remove the actual transmitter from the surrounding case/metal plate assembly? It seems overbuilt for my purpose. I was thinking about removing the case and gluing a CPU heatsink onto it.

-The box/manual says its 1.2 mHz (or, I guess, that's gHz?). I am looking to upgrade the antenna, probably either a Cloveleaf, a V or skewed wheel from ReadyMadeRC. (Actually--i'll probably get one of each!!). Does it matter that the ones available from that site are tuned for 1.280 mHz? Can I "custom-tune" it down to my 1.2 transmitter? Maybe selecting the higher channels on my tx/rx will help get it closer?
doughpat is offline Find More Posts by doughpat
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:25 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
So this FOX800 seems to have been a good (if impulsive) purchase. A few more questions, if I may:

-Is it advisable to remove the actual transmitter from the surrounding case/metal plate assembly? It seems overbuilt for my purpose. I was thinking about removing the case and gluing a CPU heatsink onto it.
That is what i did with mine and it has been working w/o a problem for 2 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughpat View Post
-The box/manual says its 1.2 mHz (or, I guess, that's gHz?). I am looking to upgrade the antenna, probably either a Cloveleaf, a V or skewed wheel from ReadyMadeRC. (Actually--i'll probably get one of each!!). Does it matter that the ones available from that site are tuned for 1.280 mHz? Can I "custom-tune" it down to my 1.2 transmitter? Maybe selecting the higher channels on my tx/rx will help get it closer?
Channel 9 is 1280MHz so you are OK with that.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...64&postcount=5
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
N00b
Boise
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
I'm having really crappy luck with the lawmate 1W...... Now I get no signal unless i grab the transmitter in my hand, then perfect video comes through, it's not the wires either, wiggling them gets nothing..... I worked extra hard on all my solder jobs too... Could this be a negative wire issue or something? or bad vTX AGAIN? My last one I got working but would have some drop outs when i touched it or the antenna (could be my TV responding to the static) The audio channel was dead.
dr_patso is offline Find More Posts by dr_patso
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:09 AM
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,205 Posts
Does anyone know why, when I check the Lawmate VRx I have some a crappy video, even without touching the antenna ?

Thank

Cedric
GLADUS63 is online now Find More Posts by GLADUS63
RCG Plus Member