HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:20 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Discussion
Is anyone out there flying the Windrider Wings?

I have been trying to find more info on these; a discussion or a build thread or something... can anyone point me in the right direction?

I just picked up the 48" wing and I am going to set it up for sloping. I was curious what servos (brand, torque, speed, etc) and batteries (size, what kind of battery composition is it: lipo, nimh, etc.) was most people using.

The molded pockets are for standard size servos which seems a little big but it is obviously set up for them...

Bradley B
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:29 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I have been trying to find more info on these; a discussion or a build thread or something... can anyone point me in the right direction?

I just picked up the 48" wing and I am going to set it up for sloping. I was curious what servos (brand, torque, speed, etc) and batteries (size, what kind of battery composition is it: lipo, nimh, etc.) was most people using.

The molded pockets are for standard size servos which seems a little big but it is obviously set up for them...

Bradley B
Brad,

Drop down the forum a bit to the Slope Soaring subsection of the Sailplane section. Many slope soarers use em! Do a search and you'll find a ton of info.

-Sean
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 23, 2010, 10:44 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2010, 08:16 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Hi Brad

welcome to the Windrider wing fraternity. Great little aircraft. Here you go:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=875881
Kookaburra is offline Find More Posts by Kookaburra
Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:09 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Thanks Kooka, I got lots of reading to do! Have you built a few of these?

I sent Ming a few questions last week but never got a response... I will post them in that thread after I finish reading it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Bradley
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:13 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Kooka, I got lots of reading to do! Have you built a few of these?
I've only built one - a BeEvolution - last winter. Went together as per instructions no worries.

After a few flights I did the following:

I had added a heap of weight to get the CofG to recommended spot. I removed some to shift it aft as per discussions in the thread.

Doweled and glued the tiplets. I'm in the process of fabricating larger ones.

Fabricated hatch covers out of ply and glued in posts to screw them into.

The BeEvo is great fun to fly, particularly in a stiff breeze. It really carves up the sky and is capable of huge graceful aerobatics, as well as structure defying tight stuff. It has taught me much about keeping energy on through maneuvers. It has become my standard machine for trying out new slopes because it is robust and easy to land - I have caught it on occasion. My only criticism is its wallow in the yaw - a tendency of flying wings - hence the move to increased area tiplets.

I'm hoping to get a 60" Scout Bee at some stage. That should really fizz.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 01:42 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
That Bee looks great!

Where do you fly, what kind of conditions? Ive never heard of Kanawinka, where is that?
...and best of all, what does a Ratbag do for a living? !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2010, 02:23 PM
Joined Jul 2008
578 Posts
rc Glider soaring off arthurs seat (2 min 27 sec)

I find it flies best in between 10 and 20mph of wind. In much more the guys with the heavier larger EPP or even fibreglass molded gliders will do better but then these do cost several times the amount...
teslahed is offline Find More Posts by teslahed
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:21 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Kanawinka is an Indigenous name for the area of SE Australia where I live [meaning 'land of tomorrow' in the language of the Buandik people]

I live on the coast so I fly dunes and cliffs, but also inland off volcanic cones and the rims of calderas - one called Tank Hill that generates enough lift to fly a brick.

A 'ratbag' is someone who is a bit outspoken and oddball - can be strange and disturbing.

What about you BSB?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 08:27 PM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teslahed View Post
I find it flies best in between 10 and 20mph of wind. In much more the guys with the heavier larger EPP or even fibreglass molded gliders will do better but then these do cost several times the amount...
TH - is that the real Arthur's Seat near Edinburgh? Looks like great place to fly.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:45 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
Kooka,

Awsome pics and flying locations, looks beautiful!
I love that term ratbag too!

I am in atlanta georgia, fly mostly WWII warbirds; but have been flying a lot more sport and 3d over the last year since I picked up a PA Ultimate AMR. I have a place on the gulf coast (not covered in oil yet, but it is only a matter of time and the real estate will never recover) and wanted to get a sailplane to slope the dunes back and forth on the beach.

Atlanta has a huge RC community (and a large presence in the club section on rcgroups) and I go to a different club to fly about 7-10 times a year; but I mostly fly with a rogue group of flyers on non AMA fields where we have landowners' permission. These are typicly housing developments that were leveled but never built and may have one or two paved roads that we use as runways.

At the beach, conditions are 15-30 mph winds depending on the day, but always steady and not gusty. Dunes are about 20-30 feet high at best. Cliff at Atlanta Hobby said the Bee was best for the job and that is what he throws in his car whenever he goes down there, so I took his advice

My setup concerns:
I want to build as purely sailplane to begin with, but figure one day I may want to put a power system on it for combat. That being the case, do I want to build with the spar, do I need MG servos, do I need to use the CF ribbon I keep reading about? My kit did not include spar or ribbons so I figured I would build without.

How do I ensure the wings are going together correctly, straight and tight?

Thanks for your input! I have sent Ming one or two emails but he has not replied... I get the feeling from reading his threads, that he leaves it to his other customers to answer questions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:37 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
not covered in oil yet, but it is only a matter of time
This is a terrible disaster - but perhaps a timely reminder of the dangers inherent in our all-consuming lifestyles - my close circle of friends with a strong connection to the natural world are very disturbed by this spill. Thoughts with you and the flora and fauna.

Sounds like you have an original Bee:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=272376

Mine was almost a standard build out of the box - but the BeEvo comes with spar to help alignment and carbon ribbons. I did strengthen the join and the nose with a layer of glass mat after an early prang - but some would advise against this because it concentrates lines of stress in strong impacts. I used a flat surface and assembled halves upside-down - no probs with alignment. I use standard servos.

Put a motor in one not my style but I know there is a pod available.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:16 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
I dont have any slope conditions to fly in atlanta; and I am building as a pure sloper to fly at beach. In atlanta, most people use these Bees for combat and put power systems on them, so I want to keep that option open in the future.

I have checked out that power pod; and it is simple, but I dont want wheels on a wing. I just want to have a simple mount for a motor that I can drop in and out.

As far as my model; it was shipped in a dually branded box, saying both bee and elebee, but the bee box was checked. Contents included no cf rods or ribbons; however the sleave for the CF spar to slide into the wing has been molded on both halves. As the spar hole is there, shouldnt I put one in, or is it better to just tape together?

Did you use CA on the spar or in joining the wing halves together. My buddy said not to but I want to for some reason. no CA was included in my kit.

On to servo's ( sorry for so many questions, youre kind to respond) :
which model are you using? Did you go metal gears? I am just wondering if I can get away with some cheapo $10 HK servos or if I need to spend some money on this part...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:34 AM
winds light to variable
Joined Apr 2009
989 Posts
Quote:
the sleave for the CF spar to slide into the wing has been molded on both halves. As the spar hole is there, shouldnt I put one in, or is it better to just tape together?

Did you use CA on the spar or in joining the wing halves together. My buddy said not to but I want to for some reason. no CA was included in my kit.

On to servo's ( sorry for so many questions, youre kind to respond) :
which model are you using? Did you go metal gears? I am just wondering if I can get away with some cheapo $10 HK servos or if I need to spend some money on this part...
Sounds even more like original Bee - fly really well in gentle conditions. They have a cult following. There are some interesting posts pleading with Ming not to phase out the original Bee when he developed the BeEvolution. People love em.

If the recess for a spar is there, I'd be putting one in. It will really help with alignment.

I used the best quality 30min epoxy to glue the halves together. I don't like foam-friendly CA.

My servos are a pair of standard JR digitals that came with my TX - not MG but over the top - I reckon the $10.00 jobs will do it for you [that would be HobbyKing I suppose].

Does the pod come with wheels? That would look dagy.

My box came with glue, whistles and 3 rolls of tape. Hope you got this other stuff too.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:12 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,148 Posts
http://www.windrider.com.hk/product.asp?page=2&id=165

Clever, but ugly and I dont want wheels; I just like how it rubber bands onto the wind so no screws to deal with when going from powered to nonpowered flight...

I have decided no pod; if anything, I will get a mount for it that comes on and off easily
My box came with no glue, but I did get to choose my 2 rolls of colored tape, 1 fiber tape, all hardware, vertical fins and the whistles. Does anybody use the whistles? I would think they get annoying since I like to hear the plane slice through the air. Do you use them?

I am suprised there is zero CF in my kit, I was expecting at least the spar, but i expected to get spar, ribbon, and cf for leading edges... a bit of a letdown but dont think it will make much difference once everything is all taped up.
RCG Plus Member