Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2010, 10:10 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samolot View Post
i searched for a bit online and I think the best thing to do is get one of those small screw extractors. I might actually have one lodged up somewhere in my took box.

Anyway, how did you guys mount the tail. I feel like using the tape by itself not the best idea. Would foam safe CA work well without eating the paint?

thanks
I actually prefer the tape. I smacked my elevator into a lil sage bush on landing the other day (sage looks like nice soft grass, but it ain't!) and the impact ripped a pinky-nail sized chunk out of the elev, and tore the tape right off. I'm convinced that had I glued the elev in place, my pinkynail-sized chunk would've been a lot bigger. To me, that tape is strong enough, and it kinda acts like a crumple zone in a car - it takes the impact so other, more important/expensive things don't have to...
-J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:34 PM
KELSO & OCEAN PARK,WA
Joined Feb 2010
25 Posts
My extra 300 lands as good as my pz t28 now !!

On YouTube ; "parkzone extra 300 wing fix" I posted some things I did to make this a really fun and forgiving plane .
It worked for me big time.
I haven't had access to my laptop , otherwise I would put a link on here & some pics.
I really enjoy flying this plane now , it just needed some TLC.
YouTube posts are by jatoav8er
slomojato is offline Find More Posts by slomojato
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:14 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
Yup. I put the elevator on using the tape. I saw off the spinner to get the damn thing off and replaced it with the stock one. All good now. Now all I need to do is balance the plane and wait for an opportunity to get to the flying field. This thing looks beautiful.
samolot is offline Find More Posts by samolot
Old Aug 17, 2010, 02:30 PM
KELSO & OCEAN PARK,WA
Joined Feb 2010
25 Posts
Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomojato View Post
On YouTube ; "parkzone extra 300 wing fix" I posted some things I did to make this a really fun and forgiving plane .
I haven't had access to my laptop , otherwise I would put a link on here & some pics.
I mean more fun and more forgiving !!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 07:02 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,913 Posts
pretty cool/cheap/easy wing mod

Here's the link SloMo was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8QnLTLsI4o

A great video/mod for the flat areas of the wings that should only add a couple ozs of weight, and a pretty cool idea for the winglets. Couldn't quite understand what he used to make the winglets, and not too confident that they'd stay on during knife edge or high angle of attack maneuvers (is epoxy enough?) - what do ya'll think?
-Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomojato View Post
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2010, 08:02 PM
KELSO & OCEAN PARK,WA
Joined Feb 2010
25 Posts
Thank jgalexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Here's the link SloMo was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8QnLTLsI4o

A great video/mod for the flat areas of the wings that should only add a couple ozs of weight, and a pretty cool idea for the winglets. Couldn't quite understand what he used to make the winglets, and not too confident that they'd stay on during knife edge or high angle of attack maneuvers (is epoxy enough?) - what do ya'll think?
-Josh
Thanks for posting that vid as my phone has been my only access to the web.
The winglets are a cellular plastic that some signs i've seen are backed with, it's like a highly condensed foam but you could use 3.1mm or 1/8th birch plywood or carbon fiber sheet.
I have put the plane to the test and the winglets have held firm but pins of some kind could be used to secure them better in fact if a person used carbon fiber rods instead of the wood to expand the wing cavity a couple of the rods could be left protruding out the wingtip and align up to holes drilled in the winglets. that would keep um on for sure.
I tested without and with winglets and they really do help.
also most any light weight material could be used to expand the wing , I was even thinking that expanding foam hardware stores carry , that might work if you could contain it in the wing pocket you create.
The bottom line is that I have been able to make this plane a heck of a lot more fun for me to fly and hope some folks can take what I have done to do the same and improve on it.
Thanks again for posting the video !!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:55 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Going several days without any flying as I pick up my daughter from Albuquerque so she can come out to San Diego and begin High School. I am jones'in for my Extra and my T-28. I'd have brought one with me but I know how my daughter packs, the Grand Cherokee will be overflowing when we pull out Saturday morning.

Drive back on Saturday, get to fly on Sunday - can't come quick enough. And, I bet my daughter ends up wanting to learn how to fly them, so might be looking for a durable trainer.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:59 AM
United States, MI, Davison
Joined May 2010
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPilot View Post
Going several days without any flying as I pick up my daughter from Albuquerque so she can come out to San Diego and begin High School. I am jones'in for my Extra and my T-28. I'd have brought one with me but I know how my daughter packs, the Grand Cherokee will be overflowing when we pull out Saturday morning.

Drive back on Saturday, get to fly on Sunday - can't come quick enough. And, I bet my daughter ends up wanting to learn how to fly them, so might be looking for a durable trainer.
just put her stuff on the roof. plenty of room inside for your planes.
AnbuPunk is offline Find More Posts by AnbuPunk
Old Aug 19, 2010, 05:28 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
I just flew my extra today for the first time.

The wind was all over the place in the upper 10's so I could not give it a fair score for its aerobatic capabilities, but it did handle the wind very nicely. Landing was also a breeze since there was alot of wind blowing into the airplane so it can fly slower. Overall though, I did have to come in smoother and a little bit faster than usual. SO WHAT?! just because it doesnt land like a trainer people are blaming horizon hobby for their money back or a free replacement wing? Consider this airplane a challenge for you to become a better pilot... I think this airplane has ALOT of potential. My 45C battery came in too and will require a little bit of modding in the fuse to fit it. Overall, I am very excited to tinker around with this airplane and tweak it to fly to my expectations (get the control surfaces to move just right). I had two great flights with it. One flight I came down earlier because somebody recommended I put in 60% expo on all control surfaces (I did not enjoy that at all) so I set it back to 30% and took off again. I landed three times total and the second landing was the only one that was not perfect and that was because the wind was blowing all over the place and decided to switch direction in the last minute.

Great purchase. Great value. Highly recommended. 'Nuff said.
Looking forward to more days of flying this jewel.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:05 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird View Post
Jaskel,

I do not think anybody in this thread gives a #### about your opinion. Please re-read the title.
Oh really...sorry if i offended the Horizon fanfare from you and fireypete.. The thing is you dont know what some of us are doing in the background that will help all those that bought the first batch and had problems...so get off you high horse and just sit back...im actually helping ..
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:30 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
start your own thread then!! why do you keep spamming up this one. Do you not like the fact that people are actually happy with their extras? You realize this is not a "batch" issue. They are all like that.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 06:34 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samolot View Post
I just flew my extra today for the first time.

The wind was all over the place in the upper 10's so I could not give it a fair score for its aerobatic capabilities, but it did handle the wind very nicely. Landing was also a breeze since there was alot of wind blowing into the airplane so it can fly slower. Overall though, I did have to come in smoother and a little bit faster than usual. SO WHAT?! just because it doesnt land like a trainer people are blaming horizon hobby for their money back or a free replacement wing? Consider this airplane a challenge for you to become a better pilot... I think this airplane has ALOT of potential. My 45C battery came in too and will require a little bit of modding in the fuse to fit it. Overall, I am very excited to tinker around with this airplane and tweak it to fly to my expectations (get the control surfaces to move just right). I had two great flights with it. One flight I came down earlier because somebody recommended I put in 60% expo on all control surfaces (I did not enjoy that at all) so I set it back to 30% and took off again. I landed three times total and the second landing was the only one that was not perfect and that was because the wind was blowing all over the place and decided to switch direction in the last minute.

Great purchase. Great value. Highly recommended. 'Nuff said.
Looking forward to more days of flying this jewel.
Agree insofar as how well it punches through the wind - where the T-28 with lighter wing loading gets pushed around pretty good, the Extra just knifes right through it just down to landing speed - I was really nervous on my first approach to landing but it was on rails - besides, if you ever get concerned just push the power in and go-around, same as in the real planes - you are committed to landing once for every time you take off, but you are never committed to any particular landing (under normal circumstances), a go-around beats the walk of shame any time.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:21 PM
Bray, UK
Joined Aug 2009
270 Posts
Hmmm.... so now I am unhappy, not at the plane (which I really enjoyed) but a combination of my skills and unknown wrong doers...

Well a few days ago I managed to er, land in a tree - I was in KE the length of the farmer's field, heading in the direction of the treeline so went to quarter roll right and pull up, but sadly in a lack of concentration I thought I was inverted when I wasn't and pushed down in to the tree .

Anyway, the plane seemed undamaged (as far as I could see) but it was too stuck to get loose with the throttle, and too high to reach, so took home the canopy which had come off, and I have been popping back every day or so to see if the wind had loosened it, only to find today that not only had it come down, but someone must have picked it up and taken it away!

Anyway, nothing I can do (though they'd better not try to sell it on eBay!) but I just wanted a sympathetic ear...
bluefisherking is offline Find More Posts by bluefisherking
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:36 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,358 Posts
That was a mean guy! Track him down with an FVP airplane! Then shoot at his house with mini rockets fired from your t-28!
Cheese5 is online now Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Aug 19, 2010, 07:38 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
man that blows... Are there alot of flyers in your area? If not, the person who took it most likely has no idea what to do with it so they will probably sell it. Check frequently on the classifieds here, rcuniverse.com, or yes, ebay. Maybe you will see it and and offer to do a local pick up and deliver an upper cut

This happened a while back when somebody in florida stole a person's beautiful rc turbine jet and sold it to a hobby shop for 300$.... (i dont recall ever hearing the conclusion of that story)

im sorry to hear about your loss. Must have been a sick KE though!!