HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:08 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shung1 View Post
Running the 12x6 prop, did you upgrade your esc at all? I am running the 12x6 prop and was told to be carefull as it pumps out about 40amps and the stock esc is only 30amp. Have had about 6 flights with 12x6 prop running at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle most of the time and esc dosen't seem to get even warm.
I have not heard of any ESC failures with stock esc and the 12x6 APCe prop on these forums. I run the 12x6 and have done many WOT vertical pulls without any issues. I think some people have mentioned running near WOT most of the flight. I would not worry about it. It is a common mod.

The stock esc is a pretty good one and is rated for bursts of 35A. I am not sure if the reports for 40A with the 12x6 were correct. I think there might have been a bad watt meter. Also I think most of the values were static. In the air the amp draw should drop as the plane gains speed so max is probably less regardless.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
I have not heard of any ESC failures with stock esc and the 12x6 APCe prop on these forums. I run the 12x6 and have done many WOT vertical pulls without any issues. I think some people have mentioned running near WOT most of the flight. I would not worry about it. It is a common mod.

The stock esc is a pretty good one and is rated for bursts of 35A. I am not sure if the reports for 40A with the 12x6 were correct. I think there might have been a bad watt meter. Also I think most of the values were static. In the air the amp draw should drop as the plane gains speed so max is probably less regardless.
no worries thanks for the info. I'll have to try that prop alignment too to see if it works, set it horizontal and see if it stops there when motor is shut off? Will be a good thing for landing i have the stock landing gear back on and there is minimal clearence with bigger prop.
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:02 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Running the 12x6 prop, did you upgrade your esc at all? I am running the 12x6 prop and was told to be carefull as it pumps out about 40amps and the stock esc is only 30amp. Have had about 6 flights with 12x6 prop running at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle most of the time and esc dosen't seem to get even warm.
The stock ESC is rated to 30A constant/35A for a 15 second burst, stay under that, and you won't have any problems.

Static testing on a fresh lipo is really the "worst case" situation, in the air, most any prop will draw a bit less, you rarely see a similar load to static, outside of punching out from a hover.

Of the props I tested, all but the BF-109 prop are safe to run on the stock power setup, although it is best to test on your plane, because sometimes you atmospheric conditions, or differences in the electronics can change the numbers you get. These are all with the stock Lipo, I am now running Sky 2200mah 40Cs, and they draw about 2 amps more, but keep their power very well throughout the flite.

So far these are the ones I have tested.

Stock 10.5X9 30A/340W, 42oz thrust

APC 11X7e 27A/300W, 50oz thrust

APC 11X8e 29A/320W, 48oz thrust

APC 12X6e 31A/350W, 60oz thrust

PKZ 10.6X7.8 3 blade 40A/420W, 57oz thrust

I had a failure on my watt meter(wouldn't read over 30A), and intially it read safe, ran it for months on the stock setup, got warm, but no failures, I was lucky I re-tested it when I found my old meter crapped out, and got a new one. I stopped running it right away, and went back with the 12X6.

I recently put a power 15 in mine, pulls the same amps as the stock motor on the 12X6, however, it is a stronger motor capable of handling a larger prop. With my recent gear mod(running modified CZ YAK gear), I can swing a 13" prop. I think I am going to "borrow" a 45A ESC off of something else for testing, and try a 12X8 and 13X6 prop, and see how they feel. The Power 15 and my 40C Lipos can handle it, but more than likely the stock ESC can't

p.s. The motor brake in the 30A ESC does not orient the prop any particular way, just adds some magnetic braking to stop it. I have the same ESC with brake on my Radian Pro, the prop stops whatever way it feels like.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Jul 30, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
174 Posts
Hey Alucard, ever tested the CZ Yak prop on the Extra? It's a 12x5.25. Seems like it should be okay to use with the stock ESC, give similar performance to the APC 12x6e and not require any reaming.
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:45 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
Hey Alucard, ever tested the CZ Yak prop on the Extra? It's a 12x5.25. Seems like it should be okay to use with the stock ESC, give similar performance to the APC 12x6e and not require any reaming.
Never have, only ever had 1 good stock Yak prop, the other 6 or so had hubs so far out of balance they were unusable. I'd bet it would work decently, although it's probably not as efficient or as good as the APC, losing a bit of top end, and possibly thrust for a couple amps less draw. If you could find one that will balance without taking an ounce of weight, try it, might be a good option. An easy trick for putting APC props on the stock spinner is to put 2 small drops of thick CA on the spinner where the prop mates to it, seat the prop, but wait about 2min to tighten it, tightens right up, and to change props, the spinner cracks off of the prop easy enough, and without damage. Or you can "bed it", same basic way I fit scope mounts to rifles, or actions to stocks. smear a thin coat of chapstick on the spinner and adapter shaft, making sure all exposed surfaces has a thin coat, but none on the prop. add a thin bead of epoxy around the base of the prop hub, and snug up the prop nut clamping the prop to the spinner/adapter, clean any epoxy that runs out of the sides off. Then after 5 min(with 4min epoxy), gently pull off the prop, all epoxy should come off with it and hold it's shape(shape of the spinner teeth), but still be slightly pliable if you need to scrape some off of the backing plate or adapter. Wait an hour till it is thoroughly cured, use a reamer to clean it up near the hole in the prop, then balance the prop. It will mount, and lock into the spinner backing plate just like the stock prop.

I did try the other way, using a 10.5X9 Extra prop with my Yak. Drew 70A and produced 4.5lbs of thrust, made it scary fast(gussing 80-90mph level, an easy 100mph in a dive), but it would slow down quick with verticals, and even at full throttle it would barely hover. Pretty much the other end of the spectrum from the 13X4 APC I normally run on that plane.
Last edited by alucard0822; Jul 30, 2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 04:15 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
174 Posts
Good advice. I think I'll stick with the stock and (reamed) APC props. I use a magnetic balancer. Props run super smooth.
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:33 PM
Joined Jul 2010
17 Posts
I'm no longer a extra owner...... was flying around today and lost control for a full second started bringin it back to land and my dx6i beeped a few times and then it was full loss of control and nose dive into the ground. looked down at my receiver and under model select it said "slow stick" somehow it changed models. I certainly didn't accidentally change it mid flight
c91x is offline Find More Posts by c91x
Old Jul 31, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
PZ Extra 300 is my first plane.
128 flights since May in its original format.

What's the longevity of this plane? Servo? ESC? Motor? Or anything else I should pay attention to??

Thanks in advance to any response.

Ken

I read the responses. I'll keep an eye on the servos. One was replaced by the original owner. My motor sounds rough, but at first, I ran it off a sandy surface; during rough landings the motor filled with large pieces and once it didn't turn at all until I removed the sand.
disc oriented is offline Find More Posts by disc oriented
Last edited by disc oriented; Aug 01, 2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: THANK YOU
Old Jul 31, 2011, 06:27 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc oriented View Post

What's the longevity of this plane? Servo? ESC? Motor? Or anything else I should pay attention to??

Ken
I put a few flights a week on it, got it a couple weeks after it was released a year ago, the stock aileron servos lasted 6 months, swapped them for HS-65MGs, the motor went up a couple months ago, sounded rough for about a month before it came out of the plastic base plate.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:17 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc oriented View Post

Ken
I have mine since it was released last year and is still original. I am flying it at least 10 times a week.
I noticed lately when running on 10x10 prop I don't get the speed I used to at wot.
It feels fine on 11x6, but than I hardly use full power.
Plane is beat up. Wings feel loose in the fuse, I had to make couple of foam inserts outside and a brace inside the fuse to hold everything tighter.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.6 Competition Pro REF
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
The stock ESC is rated to 30A constant/35A for a 15 second burst, stay under that, and you won't have any problems.

Static testing on a fresh lipo is really the "worst case" situation, in the air, most any prop will draw a bit less, you rarely see a similar load to static, outside of punching out from a hover.

Of the props I tested, all but the BF-109 prop are safe to run on the stock power setup, although it is best to test on your plane, because sometimes you atmospheric conditions, or differences in the electronics can change the numbers you get. These are all with the stock Lipo, I am now running Sky 2200mah 40Cs, and they draw about 2 amps more, but keep their power very well throughout the flite.

So far these are the ones I have tested.

Stock 10.5X9 30A/340W, 42oz thrust

APC 11X7e 27A/300W, 50oz thrust

APC 11X8e 29A/320W, 48oz thrust

APC 12X6e 31A/350W, 60oz thrust

PKZ 10.6X7.8 3 blade 40A/420W, 57oz thrust

I had a failure on my watt meter(wouldn't read over 30A), and intially it read safe, ran it for months on the stock setup, got warm, but no failures, I was lucky I re-tested it when I found my old meter crapped out, and got a new one. I stopped running it right away, and went back with the 12X6.

I recently put a power 15 in mine, pulls the same amps as the stock motor on the 12X6, however, it is a stronger motor capable of handling a larger prop. With my recent gear mod(running modified CZ YAK gear), I can swing a 13" prop. I think I am going to "borrow" a 45A ESC off of something else for testing, and try a 12X8 and 13X6 prop, and see how they feel. The Power 15 and my 40C Lipos can handle it, but more than likely the stock ESC can't

p.s. The motor brake in the 30A ESC does not orient the prop any particular way, just adds some magnetic braking to stop it. I have the same ESC with brake on my Radian Pro, the prop stops whatever way it feels like.
Thanks for the info.

BTW, the landing gear wire from the z yak, is it the same size dia as the extra one? Am looking at doing this mod as the park where i fly is mowed thick grass and the standard wheels & pants just dig in and the plane nose tips.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 06:40 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info.

BTW, the landing gear wire from the z yak, is it the same size dia as the extra one? Am looking at doing this mod as the park where i fly is mowed thick grass and the standard wheels & pants just dig in and the plane nose tips.
The wire is thicker, although it fits, but the loop that mounts in the gear plate is way wrong, I cut and welded it into the same size as the stock 300 gear.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:24 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Wow! Had 4 more flights today adding up to about 15 total.

Before I went out I used the hairdryer to straighten out the elevator and rudder which where slightly warped. I carefully centered and adjusted all control surfaces. And finally I backed the CG aft to where it just barely dives in a vertical.

She flies absolutely great and I had 4 awesome flights in the sunset and absolutely no wind at all! It sure was beautiful and I managed some really nice and level slow rolls. Landnings were smooth as butter too.

I love this plane!
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:10 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
Wow! Had 4 more flights today adding up to about 15 total.

Before I went out I used the hairdryer to straighten out the elevator and rudder which where slightly warped. I carefully centered and adjusted all control surfaces. And finally I backed the CG aft to where it just barely dives in a vertical.

She flies absolutely great and I had 4 awesome flights in the sunset and absolutely no wind at all! It sure was beautiful and I managed some really nice and level slow rolls. Landnings were smooth as butter too.

I love this plane!
Cool, careful attention to setting up a plane with precise and uniform throws, straightening surfaces, and getting a good CG makes a big difference. This is the plane that really helped me get good at slow and point rolls.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
The wire is thicker, although it fits, but the loop that mounts in the gear plate is way wrong, I cut and welded it into the same size as the stock 300 gear.
Did you notice any weight difference (nose heavy) from installing this landing gear? What paint did you use on the red wheel pants?

Cheers