HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:14 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
This plane seems to handle the wind very well. I did my maiden flight with 20mph gusts and the extra handled it perfectly.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 03:16 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Just got back from my maiden flight, 10-12 mph wind, gusts of about 15. Yes the Extra pretty much ignored the wind like it wasn't even there. Spent most of my 6 minutes trimming and shooting approaches. A few clicks on all three axis was all it took to get her tracking straight as an arrow. I did manage to get a few rolls and loops and a half arsed KE in before the timer beeped. Landing was uneventful except for standing it on its nose.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 17, 2011, 05:02 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
I flew it again today at the club field (grass) and greased it on so smooth and slow, my wife even commented on it (which normally doesn't happen that often). I learned more about mix and expo, so I'll be doing more to experiment with those soon.

My only issue right now is that only one of my LiPo's fit in with any ease. The other three are a tiny bit larger and while I can jam them in, getting them out without damaging the plane is a real challenge. I hate to have to buy $50 LiPo's for this plane. Are there any Extra-friendly LiPo's out there that folks are using that go in and out easily? I'm not wanting to clear out foam from the fuselage and would rather get a proper fitting LiPo.
I mentioned this in an ealier post, but I'm using a 1" wide ribbon (like the kind you wrap around a gift box) that I wrap the long way around my lipos to help ease them out of the battery compartment. I make the ribbon long enough to leave an extra couple of inches on both sides at the wire end of the battery to grab on to pull out the lipo. Works slick.
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:11 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
I mentioned this in an ealier post, but I'm using a 1" wide ribbon (like the kind you wrap around a gift box) that I wrap the long way around my lipos to help ease them out of the battery compartment. I make the ribbon long enough to leave an extra couple of inches on both sides at the wire end of the battery to grab on to pull out the lipo. Works slick.
Thanks. I'm definitely going to do this. There's no other way, really, to get the batteries out safely.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
8 Posts
i have 1 to and love to fly it in the fied next door.
scottsmith is offline Find More Posts by scottsmith
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:52 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
new owner and happy

I recently purchased the Extra 300 when I noticed the price dropped $40 on the PNP. I did flip my wings and hot glue the landing gear based on number of threads and reviews out there on these subjects. Other than that, everything else is stock with 2200mAH in slightly 1/4" back position more than PZ recommends.

Her maiden flight and multiple flights after that were great outside of the typical "oh S***" my trim is off and she's climbing up like a rocket and turning left like she's drunk. My major issue on the 4th flight, which was my fault, was hitting the light pole on landing.... No major damage that CA glue and clear tap couldn't fix. I had the re-maiden flight and additional 2 flights the following evening after the glue dried. I can see this one that's going to be a lot of fun. Rolls, loops and inverted flights are effortless. I love the fact that flying inverted seems as good or better than right side up.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Jul 18, 2011, 04:32 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
2 flights on mine now and I do love this plane, take off is easy and in the air it is nice and solid and tracks great. Only using low rates so far but it is enough for me at this time they are set at 60% travel and +40% expo for all three axis, bought it used and the push rods are all the way out on the servo arm and all the way in on the control horn so it has a lot of throw even at 60% travel. Came with 3 inch wheels installed and an APC 11x7 prop. I managed to botch both landings so far, the Extra ended up standing on its nose in the grass. Have to force my self to keep some power on till it touches down or right before. After several hundred dead stick landings on Strykers and a FunJet I am having a little trouble making the adjustment. I am probably doing too steep of an approach a carry over from my navy days of watching thousands of carrier landings (which navy pilots refer to as controlled crashes). First nose over was no big deal and the second broke about an inch off of the tip of the prop. 3 props on order 1 stock and 2 APC 11x7. Time to do a few hundred sim landings to break the dead stick habit.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jul 18, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I am probably doing too steep of an approach a carry over from my navy days of watching thousands of carrier landings (which navy pilots refer to as controlled crashes). First nose over was no big deal and the second broke about an inch off of the tip of the prop. 3 props on order 1 stock and 2 APC 11x7. Time to do a few hundred sim landings to break the dead stick habit.
Hey MARCOELDRAGON -

have you tried just gliding her in with throttle @ 0 on low rates except on rudder (my settings on landing and take-off A-40%, E-65%, R-80%)? Outside of an occasional hope where I find not touching the elevator after it does that, I am able to land mine up wind very smoothly. It's one of a few planes that i have yet to nose down on landing (typically occurs on new planes the the first 6-12 flights). I recalled others mentioning you need power on the way down to 2-3 feet above ground before shuttle down to 0. I am able to shut power down to 0 from has high as 15-20 feet (wind dependent) and just glide her down. I typically have to do this on most of my parkflyers since I fly out of a high school parking lot and the parking lot is not that long so I try to reduce speed and landing coverage as much as possible to avoid hitting the curb.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:52 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
You can do glide(ish) landings with the CoG/battery pushed back, in fact the plane's slow flying abilities improve markedly with the CoG back. However, the plane is much more unstable and needs a careful hand. In my opinion, it is way more fun with the CoG forward as a fast, acrobatic plane. Landings then need a bit of speed to stop it dropping. As Dragon notes, it's just a matter of practice.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Jul 19, 2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
I don't understand how people expect planes to land without a little throttle... I work right by an airport, and they rarely dead stick land planes over there.
I find it is more common with electric and foam because you can, or are belly landing. With electric you can start up no problem and the bottom of the stick is off vs, some throttle on a gas RC plane. In a real plane just like gas RC, you want some throttle so you know you will have some power to go around if need be. With electric WOT is almost instantaneous.

Quote:
I will probably take it to my private test flight field Sunday. It is 104 acres of fairly flat fields, no trees power lines or poles. Several paved roads to use for runways depending on which way the wind is blowing. No traffic, no people only the occasional rabbit or this time of year rattlesnake. It's not really mine but I'm the only one who uses it. It was supposed to be an industrial park but nothing ever got built there except the roads. I used it for my speed runs with my Strykers and FunJet.
I am jealous of that flying site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
My only issue right now is that only one of my LiPo's fit in with any ease. The other three are a tiny bit larger and while I can jam them in, getting them out without damaging the plane is a real challenge.
Many of us used a heated styrofoam knife, hobby knife or file to enlarge the battery tray a little bit. It is almost a requirement with most foamies. I still use the shoe lace, ribbon, or electrical tape to pull the battery out.

Quote:
Have to force my self to keep some power on till it touches down or right before. After several hundred dead stick landings on Strykers and a FunJet I am having a little trouble making the adjustment. I am probably doing too steep of an approach a carry over from my navy days of watching thousands of carrier landings (which navy pilots refer to as controlled crashes).
Pulsing the throttle on landings helps a lot with this plane. I have not found a good set it and adjust a click or two throttle setting for landings with this plane. Though I am landing on rough grass so I am not flying to the ground with a nice roll out. I pretty much try to stall it just as I touch down. Nose overs on grass on pretty common for me. Props have been hanging in there.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:03 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
I find it is more common with electric and foam because you can, or are belly landing. With electric you can start up no problem and the bottom of the stick is off vs, some throttle on a gas RC plane. In a real plane just like gas RC, you want some throttle so you know you will have some power to go around if need be. With electric WOT is almost instantaneous.
I'm just pointing out that if people aren't planning on flying Z-Foam park fliers forever, they need to get used to landing a plane instead of gliding it to the ground.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jul 19, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
I'm just pointing out that if people aren't planning on flying Z-Foam park fliers forever, they need to get used to landing a plane instead of gliding it to the ground.
Very true. I remind myself of that when I switch back to gas, and usually practice a few dead sticks on the sim just in case.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Quote:
Just to clarify. Are you referring to only foamy electric park fliers? I ask b/c I've only been flying park fliers foamy and don't have other point of reference but have been considering moving to electric basal. If approach is different with basal electric it'll be good to keep in mind when I make that move. Gas is still ways off for met at least.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 06:43 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Just to clarify. Are you referring to only foamy electric park fliers? I ask b/c I've only been flying park fliers foamy and don't have other point of reference but have been considering moving to electric basal. If approach is different with basal electric it'll be good to keep in mind when I make that move. Gas is still ways off for met at least.
I would say regardless of what you are flying, you should be able to land with power and be used to it. I always land my Extra with power since I feel I need it. I even land a T-28 and my UM's (when using gear) with power. I usually cut the power when I flare, but that is the only time when landing. Some planes electric or not require some power to land without diving them down and getting everything just right in a short amount of time.

In flight I often dead stick because I can and it is fun. Just hit the throttle and go again. With gas I don't like to completely cut the throttle just in case
Old Jul 19, 2011, 10:30 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
As you progress to bigger, and heavier planes, you increasingly rely on throttle only landings (throttle to control altitude on final approach and just a touch of elevator now and then to adjust the attitude and finally to bleed off speed). On planes with plenty of wing, rudder also becomes increasingly important because the aerollins are not so effective on landing approach speeds and can really tie you in knots, and set you up for a heavy landing, if you end up pointing away from the runway centreline.

You can glide in just about any plane that weighs less than 2kg, without any real damage. For 2 - 5kg, you can sometimes get away with it depending upon the plane. For over 5kg, I doubt there are many you would want to voluntarily try a no power landing. You want that wash over the control surfaces because every lost second to power up if your approach goes wrong is potentially bad. I think that the PZ Extra does also benefit from prop wash because it gives you just that little extra bit of control at low speed on landing.

I'm thinking that any Parkflyer will be less than 2kg and you don't really need perfect landing technique, but you will want to practice if you are thinking about flying heavier planes.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Last edited by MercerMaggot; Jul 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM.