SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:15 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Nice flying! I'm also in the market for more batteries. Just curious, why the Sky lipos?
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:19 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
Nice flying! I'm also in the market for more batteries. Just curious, why the Sky lipos?
First is that they are sold from Hobbypartz out of CA, so no slow overseas or expensive EMS shipping, actually shipping is free.

The prices are less than 1/2 of what HH charges for a crappy battery, 1/4 of what they carge for a good battery, prices are many times comparable to Turnigys/nanotechs once shipping is factored in.

The ratings seem accurate, I get a higher amp draw and more watts with a sky 30C than an e-flite, thunder power, or nanotech 25C, they charge at 3C, and all have charged quickly, and hold their power over time, some of the ones I have now have over 100 cycles on them over a year, and they still balance and put power out like they did when they were just broken in.

The wires come out of the end, not the side like Gens ACE, while the gens ace may be a better battery, and the couple I have are great, but they don't fit well in the Extra and F-27Q amongst others where the battery tray is narrow, and there is no room for wires out of the sides of the battery. The Gens ACE are only available in a couple sizes too, and are more expensive than the Sky's, they do charge at 5S, and for smaller planes and profile models where I can use a range of sizes and capacity batteries the Gens are fine, but in larger mdels there are just some gaping holes in their lineup, the Sky Lipos are made in just about all common sizes, and outnumber the Gens catalog about 2 to 1. The Skys do come with bananna plugs, I cut them off, and solder EC3s on, takes only a minute, and a 2 pack of EC3 connectors are only $4.

The wires are good quality, good solder joints, nice flexible silicone insualtion on the power wires AND balance harness. They also have thin aluminum plates on the top and bottom, supposedly to act as a heat sink, but they work well to protect the battery from damage and punctures. I had a CZ Yak54 with an elevator servo failure coming out of a hammerhead, dove straight in the ground from about 200' the model was destroyed, the Sky lipo in the nose hit, and was ejected with the battery tray about 20' away from the impact, the battery had a small crease on one corner, but to this day works fine, any other battery would have definitely puffed and burned. This does come at a small cost in increased weight and size. They do come down cool in setups that draw near their full rating, and they never puff a little when run hard on a hot day like some of my other batteries.

Turnigy's and Turnigy Nanotechs used to be my go-to batteries, but shipping is difficult, and the wait is long, they are decent though, they hold up nicely, and one of my local shops stocks them, or actually used to, they switched to Blue lipos mostly due to the shipping and constant backorders from hobbyking. The Nanotechs get weaker over time, and will puff a little in hot weather running in applications close to but not over their constant discharge rate. Plain Turnigys seem to have more longevity, and are more resistant to abuse, like storing fully charged, getting them hot, or running down low, and in this reguard they are better than Nanotechs amongst most others, and about the same as Sky's, although an equally rated Sky pulls an extra amp or two, and seems to come down a couple degrees cooler than the Turnigys, but they are a bit heavier, so the Sky's may be purposefully under-rated to a degree.

Comparitively, I also have some of the cheaper Blue lipos, they don't put out the same watts as the skys or other good batteries, they are over-rated. I have also had 5 of the 8 Blues have the balance harness solder joints fail, weak porus solder joints, although I was able to fix them. I only have 2 left out of the 8 I got just before switching to Sky's, the rest puffed for no reason, had dead cells, or just wouldn't take a charge anymore.

Parkzone/E-flite batteries are obsolete, they can only charge at 1C, and only hold up for about a year on average, they are also very expensive for basically crap. Thunder powers are awesome, probably one of the best lipos made, but practically there is not much difference between them and the Sky's, I can't charge at the 12C they are rated for, and none of my models are so overpowered that a 65C discharge is even remotely needed, they also cost a fortune, 3-4 times what the sky lipos do.

So all things considered, for me, the Sky Lipos are the best combintion of performance, cost, durability, and longevity, they are pretty much all I buy now. I'm not easily turned into a fanboy, I am always looking for better, and have no brand loyalty if better comes along, but looking back through my post, it seems they did just that, turned me into a fanboy.
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; Jul 11, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 08:08 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Agree, Alucard, I find the ratings on the Sky LiPo's (I own several of the 40C 3S 2200mAh packs) are accurate and seem to be on-par with the 45C Turnigy Nano-Techs, which are more expensive and take 2+ weeks to arrive from HK. The only drawback to the Sky LiPo's is that they are a bit more bulky due to the heat sinks installed within the pack.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:36 PM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Apr 2006
273 Posts
Looks like the bearing seized and destroyed the rear plastic housing. I don't understand why the motor can is metal and the back plastic. Does it really save that much in manufacturing cost?
dhc8guru is online now Find More Posts by dhc8guru
Old Jul 11, 2011, 01:12 PM
Jay Bird
Ohio
Joined Dec 2004
127 Posts
In regards to the Turnigy packs, they can be ordered from the USA warehouse now and received within a few days.
jshall755 is offline Find More Posts by jshall755
Old Jul 11, 2011, 02:06 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
Looks like the bearing seized and destroyed the rear plastic housing. I don't understand why the motor can is metal and the back plastic. Does it really save that much in manufacturing cost?
The bearing has no play, never seized, it was sounding a bit ratty for the last month, and had a mild vibration, but the prop/spinner/adapter was good and balanced, and the mount was tight. Not sure what happened, It did happen during a near full throttle blender, so there was a lot of stress, but seemed the aluminum bearing mount just plain broke out of the plastic housing. The plastic housing was cracked, not sure if this was before or after it failed, the mount and firewall weren't damaged at all. I do wish they used an aluminum backing plate or an actual Power series motors, must be due to the cost difference. Not sure why they use e-flite branded ESCs and Spektrum RXs, but not E-flite standard motors outside of a couple planes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshall755 View Post
In regards to the Turnigy packs, they can be ordered from the USA warehouse now and received within a few days.
Hobbyking jacks up the price for the US warehouse (40% on the 2200 25C turnigy packs), and still charges shipping, so there isn't much if any difference in price. I've had good luck with the plain turnigys, they seem to hold up about the same as Skys, only difference is they lack the aluminum plates, not that big of a deal to me, they also don't measure quite as much amp draw as the skys, but it is minor if any difference is detected at all. The US warehouse is getting much better, but for the longest time they were missing a lot of common sizes, and they still have few if any Nanotechs.
Last edited by alucard0822; Jul 11, 2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
The wires come out of the end, not the side like Gens ACE, while the gens ace may be a better battery, and the couple I have are great, but they don't fit well in the Extra and F-27Q amongst others where the battery tray is narrow, and there is no room for wires out of the sides of the battery......
I had got some Sky 2200 30C's and the connector came out the side, though the picture showed the end. It seems like they can vary from some conversations in another thread. If you could post the results of your order that would be great. I am thinking about getting some more.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Last edited by pkquat; Jul 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old Jul 11, 2011, 09:17 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
596 Posts
Late last month I posted that I ordered 2 EZ Flite 30C 2200 mAhs from HeadsUpRc

I'm not a battery expert, but I am very pleased with the performance of these batteries.

The leads come out of one end, they fit into the battery compartment easily, just snug enough not to move around but easily removed using the 1" ribbon technique.

I keep a flight log, here are my notes (ambient temperature about 65*F):

July 1
#8 7:00min 69% full 3.95 3.93 3.92
#7 6:30min 72% full 3.95 3.94 3.95

July 2
#8 6:30 min 59% full 3.89 3.88 3.87
#7 6:15 min 47% full 3.83 3.82 3.83

July 4
#8 6:00 min 57% full 3.87 3.86 3.86
#7 7:00 min 47% full 3.82 3.82 3.82

July 9
#7 5:45 min 70% 3.93 3.93 3.93 Mini Pulse XT
#8 6:15 min 67% 3.94 3.92 3.91 Mini Pulse XT

July 10
#7 6:30 min 50% 3.84 3.84 3.84

All flights were in the Extra except July 9. I use a HiTech X4 charger and balance each charge, charge rate is 1.0 amp.

Voltages and % full (remaining) data are from HK 010 Power Analyzer

I fly very conservatively and am just now starting basic aerobatics, usually at lower throttle.

Weights:

#7 170 oz
#8 170 oz
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:21 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Thanks for all the great feedback. Looks like the Sky and Turnigy are pretty well proven, but the EZ Flites from Heads Up RC are tempting. I have clearance from the tower to order a few new batts and will be using them (primarily) in the Extra, so wires coming out the end is a help in the narrow "tray". Decisions, decisions...
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:47 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,125 Posts
Got 9 batteries in on mine this evening. I use everything from Gens Ace 1550s, assorted 1750s, 1800s, and 2200s. Since this plane isn't reallly taxing any of these batteries, they all perform fine. I added a big flat washer to the cowl to get my balance point up to 3" and it does seem to fly better. I finally got it do some knife edge spins and man were they wicked fast! I have a hard time getting the plane into the spin still though. Need lots more practice. Tried a lot more hovering with some success. The throttle on this thing seems very touchy compared to some of my other planes. Takes a lot of getting used to.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:18 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshall755 View Post
Good pacs for the money, I have a few that have lasted as lng as the original PZ batteries. Both brands are starting to swell and will soon be disposed of. Over two years old and have so many flight's on them that I lost count a long time ago.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
[QUOTE=alucard0822;18732546]The bearing has no play, never seized, it was sounding a bit ratty for the last month, and had a mild vibration, but the prop/spinner/adapter was good and balanced, and the mount was tight. Not sure what happened, It did happen during a near full throttle blender, so there was a lot of stress, but seemed the aluminum bearing mount just plain broke out of the plastic housing. The plastic housing was cracked, not sure if this was before or after it failed, the mount and firewall weren't damaged at all. I do wish they used an aluminum backing plate or an actual Power series motors, must be due to the cost difference. Not sure why they use e-flite branded ESCs and Spektrum RXs, but not E-flite standard motors outside of a couple planes.

No doubt. I have PZ T-28. The motor is cheap. I do believe I am going to purchase a PZ body and a motor mount from Custom RC parts and put a 25 on this plane. Has anyone did this mod?

Waverunner
Waverunner is offline Find More Posts by Waverunner
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:38 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I just bought this plane for a relax flier and I love it. It had excellent top end speed on 25c and the airplane is so forgiving. I have been flying edf jets and a 30% extra 260 so this is a nice change of pace. I think I'm gonna order some turnigy 3s batteries from HK for this plane. I am using the parkzone battery currently and it seems five so far.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:23 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverunner View Post
No doubt. I have PZ T-28. The motor is cheap. I do believe I am going to purchase a PZ body and a motor mount from Custom RC parts and put a 25 on this plane. Has anyone did this mod?

Waverunner
Probably not a good idea, too much weight, and turns too slow on 3S, going with 4S will add a crap ton of weight or you can go with the 1250KV on 3S, and while fast, slow flight will be adversely affected, and pulling somewhere around 60A on a decent prop will cut flight times to nothing unless you go with a big 3S.

If you want to go E-flite, and want more power without the weight(both decent upgrades), go with the 1100KV power 10, it's actually lighter than the stock or power 15 by about an ounce(2oz lighter than the 25s, probably 4-6oz more if you count the extra lipo cell), but can handle about the same current, it will be a good deal faster and have more thrust than stock on a stock 3S and 12X6, but being a higher KV, you will need a decent 40A ESC, or a cheap 60A one. A buddy has a mini Funtana that is about the same size and weight as the extra with 40A pro ESC, P-10 motor, and 12X6 prop, it is an absolute rocket, and has plenty of power for punching out of a hover. A lot of people ran the power 10 with souped up Parkzone warbirds on 4S, and were getting 100+MPH out of them going well beyond the motor's 3S/450W rating, and they hold up just fine. You will need about 3/8" worth of spacers though to make it work with the stock mount, and CG may end up too tailheavy even with the pack all the way forward, and a larger pack, or weight in the nose would be needed to get a decent 2.75"-3" CG

I would have gone for it, but I only had enough hobby loot for a motor, not a motor and ESC, have another project in mind a p-15 would be ideal for if the Extra ever bites it hard, and I got a really good deal on the P-15 I swapped in. I am happy with stock power levels anyway, so not a big deal. However one day, I may revisit the power 10 upgrade, but the setup now is fine, if I was going to spend $120+ on a new power system, I would want a fresh airframe, and by then, the cost would be on par with just building a new and better plane. For now, I'm fine with $50 to get it back in the air instead of a $130 upgrade to a bumped and bruised year old foamie.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
I push it all the way forward to the point where the battery wires coming from the battery are underneath the velcro strap. Have no issues hovering with more forward c/g, right around 2/3rds throttle seems to be the ticket for hovering, any higher than that and it will climb, any lower than that and it will nose forward and dive.
Did you changed your throws at all? Are they set at full ie: which hole?

Cheers
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1