HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 20, 2011, 05:35 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I must have hundreds of flight on mine and still enjoy it. It is my 'adverse weather' plane now, when it is too windy for other planes.

Mine still has the undercarraige, but barely. I've gone through all the stages. Stage 1 is rip of the undercarraige fastening plate and glue it back on. Stage 2 is when the undercarraige wire starts to get loose in the plate (fixes include rebending, gluing popsticks in etc, etc). For awhile I just had my undercarraige rigged so that the wheels would fall off (mostly) as the plane left the ground.

Finally nothing helps and the wheels always bend back on take off and landing and the plane tips. Next, I drilled a small hole in the cowling, fixed a strong rubber band around the base of the undercarraige and onto a stick over the hole. This lasted well until a bad landing where I ripped out the hole (and a good deal of the canopy as well). Nor wanting to spend any money on the plane, I now have the rubber band around the undercarraige base and at the front of the cowling at the prop exit. The undercarraige still bends back on anything less than a perfect landing, but holds up for takeoff.

I suppose the next step is just to do away with the wheels and try hand launching. I think maybe that is the answer (though I enjoy the taking off/landing part of flying).
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2011, 01:23 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
615 Posts
Maiden

After being a wallflower since last August the Extra finally maidened tonight.

Perfect weather, great grass field conditions. The plane is completely stock. Shoved the 2200 mah as far forward as possible as per the modified manual.

Flew great.

No issues on landing. Kept speed up and used the throttle a little to control the descent. Greased every landing!!

Did not have to adjust any settings.

Looking forward to some more.....
allelectrik is offline Find More Posts by allelectrik
Last edited by allelectrik; Jun 23, 2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Jun 22, 2011, 04:02 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,088 Posts
Fun wasn't it? Pretty quick.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jun 23, 2011, 09:38 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
615 Posts
Yes sir, lots of fun....

Hoping to maiden the AMR Bipe tonight, then 3DHS SHP 47" tomorrow, or the weekend.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 11:29 PM
Seattle Lake Tapps.
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Still have my SHP in the box, can't wait to maiden that one, heard those are the best 3D trainers of the world, but I've been flying my PZ Extra and is pretty good too, don't know why the bad reputation.
airmanthesixth is offline Find More Posts by airmanthesixth
Old Jun 24, 2011, 01:22 AM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
615 Posts
PZ Extra will take you right up to 3D, I have seen a few videos of PZ Extra 3D even....I understand great training for precision type aerobatics....is a very tough airplane.

The "flat wing" issue was a problem for some pilots, all kinds of modifying was done, but most did not improve performance that much. She flew good for me out of the box.

I am looking forward to the SHP, didn't get her in the air tonight, but I did get the PA Ultimate AMR Bipe up for 1 battery. She'll be a handful for the first few flights. Have to remember to keep the nose down, the speed up and gradually start experimenting. Quite a bit on money in the air in the AMR....but I wanted a biplane and decided to get a good one.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 07:33 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allelectrik View Post
PZ Extra will take you right up to 3D, I have seen a few videos of PZ Extra 3D even....I understand great training for precision type aerobatics....is a very tough airplane.

The "flat wing" issue was a problem for some pilots, all kinds of modifying was done, but most did not improve performance that much. She flew good for me out of the box.

I am looking forward to the SHP, didn't get her in the air tonight, but I did get the PA Ultimate AMR Bipe up for 1 battery. She'll be a handful for the first few flights. Have to remember to keep the nose down, the speed up and gradually start experimenting. Quite a bit on money in the air in the AMR....but I wanted a biplane and decided to get a good one.
The AMR will be my next project, i'm a bipe lover too.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
103 Posts
To purchase or not

I have been wanting one of these planes for sometime. However, I hear mixed reviews. I am seeking a good durable flyer. It does not have to be a
3D flyer. Suggestions.
Waverunner is offline Find More Posts by Waverunner
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:48 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
It'a a fantastic plane. Being Z-foam it's more quickly fixable than a balsa plane, and landing it takes more room than some lighter planes.

If your an experienced pilot I'd look at the 3d hobby shop Buck Huck: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226319

But if you need more durability in the form of z-foam this is a great option.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jun 26, 2011, 09:37 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Feb 2011
615 Posts
Waverunner,

I agree with creapyd....both are fine airplanes. Have both. Do not have much time on either frame. Extra 300 is tough, faster, but does aerobatics really nicely....while the Buck is lighter, can fly slower, but is of course 3D and is sturdy balsa. Only solution is to buy both!!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
After reading a bunch on the Extra 300 I decided to jump in and get one! I've made the usual mods (pulled and re-glued the gear mount, expanded the battery compartment slightly to fit all my lipos, replaced the wheels with 2 1/2" lite's for park flying) and am psyching up for the maiden flight. I also picked up a couple of 11x7E APC props to make the first flights more manageable, but the prop hub is smaller than the motor shaft. I hadn't read anything in the thread(s) about having to ream the APC props out, so am I missing something? And if they do need to be reamed, what are you guys using?
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:30 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
After reading a bunch on the Extra 300 I decided to jump in and get one! I've made the usual mods (pulled and re-glued the gear mount, expanded the battery compartment slightly to fit all my lipos, replaced the wheels with 2 1/2" lite's for park flying) and am psyching up for the maiden flight. I also picked up a couple of 11x7E APC props to make the first flights more manageable, but the prop hub is smaller than the motor shaft. I hadn't read anything in the thread(s) about having to ream the APC props out, so am I missing something? And if they do need to be reamed, what are you guys using?
yes, ream to 8mm, I use a great planes step reamer in a drill press.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:51 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucard0822 View Post
yes, ream to 8mm, I use a great planes step reamer in a drill press.
No access to a drill press. Can this be done with enough accuracy by hand?
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:22 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
No access to a drill press. Can this be done with enough accuracy by hand?
The Great Planes reamers include a handle so they can be turned by hand, just takes a LONG time to ream a prop that way. If you have a power drill and a vise, you can put the reamer into the chuck of your power drill, put the prop in a vise, and carefully ream with the bit at 90.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:41 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
The Great Planes reamers include a handle so they can be turned by hand, just takes a LONG time to ream a prop that way. If you have a power drill and a vise, you can put the reamer into the chuck of your power drill, put the prop in a vise, and carefully ream with the bit at 90.
Thanks, I may try that, or just run with the stock prop. Looking forward to the first flight. Next weekend will be my first chance.