SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 02, 2011, 10:26 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Interesting. I got two of the 2200mAh 25C version about 4 months ago, and they seem to be doing pretty well. They come out of the extra cold, both with the stock prop (before I broke it ) and with a 12x6. How long did it take yours to fall to pieces?
The first couple failures were around 6months/50 cycles, A couple had weak cells out of the box that worked itself out after a few cycles. It does seem the quality control varies widely with the Blues, a couple are still going strong after more than a year,
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2011, 11:38 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,033 Posts
Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up!
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:42 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Have logged 30 flights now on my Extra 300 and love it! The landing gear has come out twice so have given up on it. Hand launch and belly land on my grass field. The plane is so easy to hand launch. Use 80% throttle and away she goes See my video
Parkzone Extra 300 Hand Launch (0 min 23 sec)
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Jun 04, 2011, 07:54 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Have logged 30 flights now on my Extra 300 and love it! The landing gear has come out twice so have given up on it. Hand launch and belly land on my grass field. The plane is so easy to hand launch. Use 80% throttle and away she goes See my video
http://youtu.be/GxFvHEIRpOk
hey mate,
Did you put anything underneath the fuselage to protect the foam/paint for when you belly land it?

cheers

FYI: what i did with my landing gear was take the screws out that hold the side fairings to the landing gear plate. This in fact puts less force/pull on the plate as the wire flexes when the wheels touch the ground. The fairings are held in place with clear tape.
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old Jun 04, 2011, 09:44 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shung1 View Post
hey mate,
Did you put anything underneath the fuselage to protect the foam/paint for when you belly land it?

cheers

FYI: what i did with my landing gear was take the screws out that hold the side fairings to the landing gear plate. This in fact puts less force/pull on the plate as the wire flexes when the wheels touch the ground. The fairings are held in place with clear tape.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have now placed a thin plastic plate(in orange) over where the landing gear attached. The tail wheel is still in place so only a small amount of the fuselage touches the ground. May put some small glider skids on the wing tips if wear is evident.
The grass is very thick and uneven on the field where I fly so this seems to work for now.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 08:29 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
bonnie9496, I spent 8 wonderful days in Perth in 1983 while stationed aboard the USS Carl Vinson. Perth and Fremantle have to be my favorite places of the many I visited. I especially love the big park (King's Park?) To fly a RC plane there would be a memorable thing. Perth had to be the cleanest city I ever saw. Great place and many fond memories.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:37 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
bonnie9496, I spent 8 wonderful days in Perth in 1983 while stationed aboard the USS Carl Vinson. Perth and Fremantle have to be my favorite places of the many I visited. I especially love the big park (King's Park?) To fly a RC plane there would be a memorable thing. Perth had to be the cleanest city I ever saw. Great place and many fond memories.
Yes it's a great place to live.
No flying allowed in Kings Park. Too many pedestrians and tourists. The big drop off on the Easern side to the Swan River would be awesome for slope soaring.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:10 AM
Foam Flyer
Wakulla County, FL
Joined Oct 2009
126 Posts
Hey 300 flyers...

I just got a 300 and I am having a little problem that someone may be able to help me with. First off, I am liking this plane in the air and find it fun to fly. I am pretty nervous with it and have only flown it a few times so far.

I understand the need to land it faster than my other planes, so I have been lining it up for a long staight in approach. Here is my problem (other than slow thumbs and a narrow landing strip)... On final either with no power or just a little the plane will pick up speed, balloon up a bit, slow to a stall, nose down, pick up speed, balloon up, repeat, repeat etc. I would prefer it to just find its own glideslope and come down in a straight line.

Is this a CG issue? Should I make it more nose heavy or tail heavy? Any help would be appreciated.
FalseHope is offline Find More Posts by FalseHope
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseHope View Post
Hey 300 flyers...

I just got a 300 and I am having a little problem that someone may be able to help me with. First off, I am liking this plane in the air and find it fun to fly. I am pretty nervous with it and have only flown it a few times so far.

I understand the need to land it faster than my other planes, so I have been lining it up for a long staight in approach. Here is my problem (other than slow thumbs and a narrow landing strip)... On final either with no power or just a little the plane will pick up speed, balloon up a bit, slow to a stall, nose down, pick up speed, balloon up, repeat, repeat etc. I would prefer it to just find its own glideslope and come down in a straight line.

Is this a CG issue? Should I make it more nose heavy or tail heavy? Any help would be appreciated.
Been there! I did a few things that helped my smooth out my landings with this reactive little plane.
1. Pushed the battery fwd until the velcro was just covering the very end of the battery. Nose-heavy CG is easier to manage/less squirrely than tail-heavy CG.
2. Flew approach and landing with low-rates to reduce the chance of over-controlling and inducing a stall.
3. Practiced a number of fake landing approaches (go-arounds) at an altitude safe enough that I could recover if the plane got too slow (~50')
4. Flew a base-crosswind-final approach (just like at a real airport) so I'd have time to get my speed and altitude (and brain) set up for landing.

Some pilots do a shallow power-on approach, while others do a steeper power-off approach. I think playing around with it at altitude will help you figure out what style is best for you and your landing location.
Hope that helps!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:16 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalseHope View Post
On final either with no power or just a little the plane will pick up speed, balloon up a bit, slow to a stall, nose down, pick up speed, balloon up, repeat, repeat etc. I would prefer it to just find its own glideslope and come down in a straight line.

Try what Josh recommended. Especially moving the battery forward, since its and easy fix. The rest you have to practice.

I added washers to the top screws of the motor. My plane with elevator trimmed horizontal stays level at pretty much all speeds. (2/3 to wot)

If you have spare channel on your receiver, run ailerons separately.
Program some spoilerons. It will help a lot. It will give you faster sink rate.

With all that it will still need power on approach.

Another thing, change the prop to 11x7. You will lose top end, but gain slow speed control. 12x7 is better, but I could get it to last only 5 landings on average. My 12's are now 11.5 and 11".

If you really need to land slow, you can, but you have to blip the power once in a while and right before touch down to get prop wash over surface controls.

What helped me was practicing with a cheapo profile 3D planes and jets.
In those planes throttle control is everything.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jun 12, 2011, 10:51 AM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
561 Posts
Guys I have a problem. For some odd reason my 300 does not want to roll tight. Instead of a nice roll around the axis i get a slopy barn roll to the left and to the right a nice roll. I have adjusted everything right. I was wondering if anyone out there has any inputs? Cheers

DonQ
DonQ8401 is online now Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Jun 13, 2011, 07:19 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Guys I have a problem. For some odd reason my 300 does not want to roll tight. Instead of a nice roll around the axis i get a slopy barn roll to the left and to the right a nice roll. I have adjusted everything right. I was wondering if anyone out there has any inputs? Cheers

DonQ
Check your throws, and if you can run the ailerons to separate channels do it. More than likely one servo has a bit more throw than the other, and depending on the angles of the arms when centered, and the linkage length, you are probably getting more throw on one side. The plane will roll nice and axial if the ailerons have the same throw side to side, up and down. With a dual aileron mix, you can adjust end points to get them perfect, without, you have to fiddle with the linkages and subtrim to get them close.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:45 PM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
Well I flew mine for the first time in over a year. I was one of the unhappy wings guys when it all started. I tried flipping the wings but put them back to normal. I always thought I may have been landing to slow and that was really the major issue. Based on a lot of the information here I went out to give it another try. With the battery all the way forward and more speed on the landings everything went great. It's back on the " fly me " list. Thanks for the great tips.
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:53 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
A few mm of forward CG shift can make a world of difference. The manual was incorrect regarding the battery location inside the PZ Extra 300, HorizonHobby later released a technical note stating that the correct CG can only be achieved IF the battery is all the way forward inside the compartment, leaving only the red/black lead wires underneath the strap.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Jun 2008
216 Posts
I really enjoy this plane but landings have always been a bit of a fight. It flies great but when you slow it up for landings the nose tends to pitch up. This is even with the battery all the way forward on mine. I learned to fly it right to the ground and had been enjoying it a lot over the last year.

Lately, I epoxied about 1/2 oz of lead into the cowl and that made a huge difference for landings. Now I can chop the throttle and it will pretty much land itself - I just need to flair a little before touch down. Now I just like to shoot landings for fun. I have always liked landing a plane but never did it much with the extra because it was such a chore but now I can fly pack after pack of landings.
capadotia is offline Find More Posts by capadotia