HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:23 PM
Seattle Lake Tapps.
Joined Feb 2011
148 Posts
Got a question for you guys.
What's a good battery for the extra?
Talking about size, because my 25C 2200mAh Turnigy fits so tight that is a hazel just to get it in and out.
I'm willing to pay up to 20 bucks.
airmanthesixth is offline Find More Posts by airmanthesixth
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 07:43 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airmanthesixth View Post
Talking about size, because my 25C 2200mAh Turnigy fits so tight that is a hazel just to get it in and out.
Most of the 2200mAH batteries except the Eflite are a very, very tight fit. Easiest thing is just to ease some foam out on all sides where battery goes. After removing the wing spar, I just used my soldering iron and carefully melted a little foam. Now all my Turnigy batteries fit I did also attach a tab to the battery so when removing I am not pulling on any wires.
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:03 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,295 Posts
Yup, I used a razor knife to trim the sides about 1/4 inch deep on each side, and then i put tape tabs on the end of the battery to use as a pull handle. They just barely fit. In my opinion, the battery compartment is the only real design flaw of the plane.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:13 PM
Seattle Lake Tapps.
Joined Feb 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Most of the 2200mAH batteries except the Eflite are a very, very tight fit. Easiest thing is just to ease some foam out on all sides where battery goes. After removing the wing spar, I just used my soldering iron and carefully melted a little foam. Now all my Turnigy batteries fit I did also attach a tab to the battery so when removing I am not pulling on any wires.
Yeah, I did the same thing to mine, I trimmed up a little bit of foam and I added the tab to pull it out but still kind of a pain in the neck.
And the thing is, I saw this guy on the club last Monday with one of those Hyperion batteries, and it was way smaller than the turnigys and he flew like 9 or 10 minutes which I think is pretty good, the problem is I don't remember the website he told me he got it from, neither the mAh or the C rating. I will ask and let everybody know.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:22 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,875 Posts
These Blue lipos (http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-3s1p-111-25c.html) from hobbypartz are great. I actually had to put some velcro on mine to make them bigger, as they're super skinny and were sliding all over the place in the battery bay. I've had mine for over 20 cycles, and they're still going strong.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:28 PM
Seattle Lake Tapps.
Joined Feb 2011
148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
These Blue lipos (http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-3s1p-111-25c.html) from hobbypartz are great. I actually had to put some velcro on mine to make them bigger, as they're super skinny and were sliding all over the place in the battery bay. I've had mine for over 20 cycles, and they're still going strong.
Hey that's what I'm talking about!!! that's a really good info, I'd think I'll go for that one, you can't beat that price, the hyperions are like 40 bucks.
Hey thanks again
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:10 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,875 Posts
Welcome! Look for a coupon while you're at it. I think there's a 10% off lurking around somewhere in the 'trader talk' section of the rcg classifieds..
Oh, one thing, you will likely need to change out the connectors, as the Blues come with a 4mm 'banana' connector.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:45 PM
Seattle Lake Tapps.
Joined Feb 2011
148 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that, don't know what's easier to cut those connectors off or make a nice little adapter........
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
I use the origional green parkzone 2200 25c that come with the BNF extra 300 & also another which fits well is the Dualsky 2100 30c ( really good battery)
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:03 AM
Joined Apr 2010
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking about that, don't know what's easier to cut those connectors off or make a nice little adapter........
I cut em and kept em for future projects. That said, if you're gonna get more than 2, maybe making an adapter is the way to go. Good luck, and enjoy em. The extra goes and goes with those in there...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:41 AM
Seattle Lake Tapps.
Joined Feb 2011
148 Posts
will do.
Thanks
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:24 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
882 Posts
I am not a fan of the Blue Lipos, bought a lot of them at first, a pair of 3cells for the extra, and about half a dozen 4S for EDFs. The biggest problem is that the solder joints are crap on most of them, and a full 5 out of the 8 had at least one balance wire come off of the battery. They also seem over-rated, I get less measured amps and warmer packs compared to other batteries of the same capacity and C-rating. I have also had 3 develop bad cells, and are now in the trash, within a year and about 100 cycles. If you get batteries from Hobbyparts, stick to the Sky or Gens ace, both are far better, and better made, I have more than 200 cycles on a couple of mine without any problems, and they can be charged at 3C(Sky Lipos), and 5C(Gens Ace) compared to the Blues 2C. The Gens ace are a bit tight, narrow enough, but a little taller, the best fit besides stock I have found are Turnigy Nanotechs, they are also an excellent battery.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,875 Posts
Interesting. I got two of the 2200mAh 25C version about 4 months ago, and they seem to be doing pretty well. They come out of the extra cold, both with the stock prop (before I broke it ) and with a 12x6. How long did it take yours to fall to pieces?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 02, 2011, 01:59 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Interesting. I got two of the 2200mAh 25C version about 4 months ago, and they seem to be doing pretty well. They come out of the extra cold, both with the stock prop (before I broke it ) and with a 12x6. How long did it take yours to fall to pieces?
From what I can tell, there is a lot of quality variation in production runs.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Jun 02, 2011, 02:40 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
My experience with Blue LiPo's has been great (so far), I own several 2200mAh 3S 30C Blue LiPo packs and haven't had problems with any of them. They fit perfectly into the Extra's battery compartment. I also have the Turnigy Nano-Tech 45/90C 3S 2200 packs and they're a bit too large to fit into the battery compartment, I'd need to hog out foam to get them in there. My only complaint about Sky LiPo's is their weight, the heat sinks do make them a bit heavier than comparable packs with the same discharge and capacity ratings, but I benefit from the heat sinks in my AMX EDF jet as there is little to no airflow over the battery, so the heat sinks do help in that particular case.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY