SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 27, 2011, 09:01 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Agree with Ben82, I've never had issues setting the Extra 300 down, as long as the battery is all the way forward and CG is set properly to avoid tail heaviness, the Extra should touch down nicely. It needs some room to land, but once you're used to it, you can land it on a dime.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 11:24 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
It could be done, but you nee 7 channels not 6:

Throttle
Elevator
Rudder
Aileron 1
aileron 2
flaperon 1
flaperon 2

to do it properly.
If the ailerons ran a splitter you could run with 6Ch, however you couldn't have crow etc. A 7Ch would be needed for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91t View Post
Why not just mix flapperons? Save the weight of the hardware along with the extra servo. Flapperons would actually be more affective.

I did that with my 3D nitro plane and it worked great.

Steve
Flaperons don't work that well for this plane in general. They increase the chance of tip stalls so in reality don't slow the plane down all that much. I played with them some, but never saw any real gain. Spoilerons actually work a little better.

In general my idea was just for some creative fun. There are some people who enjoy mods, being creative, and have the parts, time, and money. I might try it someday if my current wings get beat up enough and a 7Ch Rx becomes available.

Some people still have issues landing it. For me, with the rough grass I am landing in, even with 3" wheels, I need it to touch down very slow or it winds up on its nose and stresses the landing gear mount. I am not good enough to harrier a landing yet especially when there are variable winds. Tar or a smooth strip isn't bad at all.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old May 28, 2011, 12:11 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
Flaperons don't work that well for this plane in general. They increase the chance of tip stalls so in reality don't slow the plane down all that much. I played with them some, but never saw any real gain. Spoilerons actually work a little better.
I set up flaperons on my 3 position switch. One setting gave 5mm down, next gave 10mm. It didn't add to tip stall tendency that I noticed... but it also didn't drastically reduce the stall speed either.

I get the feeling some people were trying to give it wayyyy more down deflection, which is unnecessary IMO. Doesn't take much movement to change a "symmetrical" wing to one with lift.

At any rate, I stopped using them because it was an unneeded crutch for me. I flew off dirt fields at the time, and could land it on a 75 foot runway.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old May 28, 2011, 08:52 PM
Joined May 2011
4 Posts
i just wanted to say i put this in another thread

becouse im new and didnt see this first but i have to say being my first 3d plane besides profile planes this plane is sweeet i love it i maidened it today and it was a bit windy for my liking but it flew great did some loops and rolls nothing to major kinda nervous first plane i maidend by myself so i was pretty stoked the only issue witch was not a big one was i ripped the landing gear off when i put it in the tall grass some glue and its all fixed up good to go mite go in a few minutes to try again. just cant get over it ok thats all i wanted to say thanks
scott adam
sadam88 is offline Find More Posts by sadam88
Old May 29, 2011, 11:35 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
I played with some new props today:
APC 12 x 6 Electric: 31.2 amps 356 watts

Turnigy 12 x 6 Wood: 37.47 amps 419.6 watts

The Turnigy had a little more punch coming out of hover, but at the expense of amps. I didn't have a scale with me to test thrust or RPM so the numbers are just intresting.

The APC prop weighs about twice what the stock prop or the Turnigy wood weigh. This allows you to bring the battery a little farther back, but the total weight goes up by ~15 grams. APC are HEAVY props.

Also interesting, the plane seems to have a tendency to snap right when hard elevator is applied. not sure if the elevator is twisting, or I'm managing to dumbthumb some aileron when I pull back. I'm still getting used to the silky smoothness of the DX8 vs my old DX6i
creapyd is online now Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Hi creepy, most of the folks on here concur that it's an elevator twist due to the flimsiness of the elev and the location of the control horn. If you truly are a perfectionist ;-), and want to fix it, some folks have seen significant improvements with the instalation of a couple carbon fiber strips, one on the stab, and one on the elev.
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; May 29, 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Kant spel
Old May 29, 2011, 01:46 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Hi creepy, most of the folks on here concur that it's an elevator twist due to the flimsiness of the elev and the location of the control horn. If yountruly are a perfectionist ;-), and want to fix it, some folks have seen ficant improvements with the instalation of a couple carbon fiber strips, one on the stab, and one on the elev.
Best,
Josh
Josh,

In the beginning I just limited the travel of elevator. Later I added graphite spar and it made huge difference. It will still snap right on max deflection at high speed, but I think it is due to tip stalling.
I believe what we're seeing here is a combination of two factors.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 29, 2011, 01:51 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Larger props can induce torque roll, so going from a stock 10" to a 12" prop may result in some snappiness when punching the throttle, elevator isn't always to blame but can be a factor as well. A carbon spar through the stabilizer and elevator DO help.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:56 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Larger props can induce torque roll, so going from a stock 10" to a 12" prop may result in some snappiness when punching the throttle, elevator isn't always to blame but can be a factor as well. A carbon spar through the stabilizer and elevator DO help.
I tried using 12", but they last me only couple of flights (or, I should say landings). They simply become 11".

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 01:59 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Chris:

Do you shop at Fields?
Greg is selling his Extra for $125.
Its like brand new. I would grab it myself, but my is perfectly fine with the exception of being simply dirty and I just picked up couple other planes.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Hey Rob - I do stop by Field's on occasion, I'm a little far from there as I live just North of E. Amherst (in Pendleton). I don't really need a whole new Extra, mine is in great shape (just bought it new earlier this Spring) and I put strapping tape around the front edges of the wings to prevent dings and scrapes from tall weeds or grasses. Field's does stock quite a few spare parts for the Extra 300, including props, fuselage parts, and the wings. A good friend of mine also has a PZ Extra and I noticed his wing tips were fairly torn up from general wear & tear, so I knew where to reinforce the most with strapping tape.

Not sure if you've already done so or not, but a great mod for the PZ Extra 300 is to take off the wheel pants and replace the wheels with 3" Maxx Products wheels (Field's stocks them). If anything, go up to 3.25" and you wont mow as much grass with a 12" prop.
Last edited by ChrisWNY; May 29, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 29, 2011, 04:42 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I think the problem with landing is that most people (myself included) are used to flying planes like the T-28 or other large wing area foamies, that you can just glide in for landing. You can glide the Extra in, but the landing will typically be heavy because the plane sinks so fast when it slows up.

Of course, for this sort of plane, you need throttle to keep the speed up a little and for finer control of altitude (as well as air wash over the control surfaces). The plane lands well just using throttle and a touch of elevator at the last moment.

As I said, most of us start on easy planes that you can just switch off the throttle and glide in. Learning to land using mainly throttle only is another skill to learn.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old May 31, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercerMaggot View Post
I think the problem with landing is that most people (myself included) are used to flying planes like the T-28 or other large wing area foamies, that you can just glide in for landing. You can glide the Extra in, but the landing will typically be heavy because the plane sinks so fast when it slows up.

Of course, for this sort of plane, you need throttle to keep the speed up a little and for finer control of altitude (as well as air wash over the control surfaces). The plane lands well just using throttle and a touch of elevator at the last moment.

As I said, most of us start on easy planes that you can just switch off the throttle and glide in. Learning to land using mainly throttle only is another skill to learn.
Well said mate! Couldn't agree more. And thats what makes the hobby interesting, learning new skills. Otherwise it would get boring
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:02 AM
United States, MI, Davison
Joined May 2010
546 Posts
exactly, thats why I decided to take the 3D route in the hobby. I was thinking about doing primarily FPV but there are hardly any skills to learn seeing that most FPV planes are big trainers. the only way to get good at it is to buy expensive equipment
(sorry to rant off topic haha)
AnbuPunk is offline Find More Posts by AnbuPunk
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnbuPunk View Post
exactly, thats why I decided to take the 3D route in the hobby. I was thinking about doing primarily FPV but there are hardly any skills to learn seeing that most FPV planes are big trainers. the only way to get good at it is to buy expensive equipment
(sorry to rant off topic haha)
3D is what i eventually will probably go to down the track, maybe a carbon z yak or something like that. But for now will brushup the skills with the extra 300 & my PZ p-47.
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1