HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2010, 07:26 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GURU_MSR View Post
its my experiance that people who have to claim they are not fanboi's generaly are fanboi's or a mole like you your ip betrays you
And you having a dozen posts and being a member for half a week tells me you are a troll

Anyways, you are going on my block list so goodbye.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2010, 10:15 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,647 Posts
after last weeks little mis hap, the 300 is ready to fly again!

Im going to heat the hell out of my wings, then sand them symmetrical! Im determined to get the perfect wing!
video from last week, watch my awesome landing, even the pilot ejected!!! I didnt know my extra had that feature..lol

you tube link

Extra 300 Slow Flying and Mini Crash (5 min 54 sec)

Vimeo link:

Parkzone Extra Flipped Wing and Slow Speed (5 min 53 sec)
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old Aug 08, 2010, 05:31 AM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,870 Posts
Nice.
I'm not flying mine with the wings inverted anymore. Yes it improves the stall issues during flight but I have almost lost it because of orientation. I've been patient waiting for a new wing set......hopefully.
Oh.....that chunk of wing that broke off? Don't bother gluing it back on. Remember wing shape doesn't matter with this plane!
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Aug 08, 2010, 05:49 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,647 Posts
lol, I was thinking of gluing a cup of coffee on the end of the wing..might fly ok then!
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:44 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Purchased a PNP PZ Extra 300 this afternoon, shortly after completing my biannual flight review for my pilot's license in a full size Cessna 182. Installed an AR500 and used one of my T-28's PZ 3S 11.1V 2100's - put three charges through it, worked a little on cg after 1st flight to suit my taste but I am very satisfied with the overall value of the plane.

I put an APC 11x7 on after the first flight - huge difference (they were out of the 12x6) - nice mix of speed and the vertical is very fun, especially compared to my re-propped T-28.

With three flights including mixed throttle, slow and fast, some light aerobatics (loops, rolls, immelmans, split S, a little inverted flight), and what I feel is really nice climb performance I can say I am happy so far. More than enough power and control to plow out of coffin corners I am likely to encounter.

I read all (and I do mean ALL) of the negative posts about the wings BEFORE I made the purchase, but I also have seen the plane fly, on video and in person. I thought about building a souped up Multiplex Gemini biplane for a second plane, but decided to go with PZ since I love my T-28.

The wing tips do have the visually obvious flat top, but I installed the wings as designed to see how it flew. Several guys flying the Extra here in San Diego have flipped the wings and from an observer standpoint they 'seem' to look like they fly perhaps a little better. I may try it for a test but I want to explore the 'as-designed' configuration first.

I plan to eventually repaint mine like I did with the T-28 (no scheme picked for the Extra yet but I like the looks of the Red Bull Extra 300SR that Peter Besenyei campaigned with in '09 as a start).

I spent a little time on the 2nd and 3rd flights exploring slow flight, snaps and the tip stall and it seemed I had to really be working to get any reaction and it was easy to deal with for a novice like me. I prefer to fly basically scale though, so that might impact my tastes and expectations.

FWIW, I have only been flying RC on and off for 13 months (real planes on and off for 24 years), and the Extra is only my 2nd RC plane, a lightly modified PZ T-28 (flaps) being my first. I have about 300-350 flights total experience.

Happy happy joy joy!
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Aug 12, 2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:56 AM
KELSO & OCEAN PARK,WA
Joined Feb 2010
25 Posts
picked up a pz extra a couple days ago and found it to be ok but after checking some measurements on the wings with a straight edge I solved MY airfoil problem by heating and reforming the outer three inches of the bottom of the wing with my teflon coated monocoat iron so the top has the same profile as the bottom.
it flies just fine now at all speeds.
slomojato is offline Find More Posts by slomojato
Old Aug 12, 2010, 08:01 AM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomojato View Post
picked up a pz extra a couple days ago and found it to be ok but after checking some measurements on the wings with a straight edge I solved MY airfoil problem by heating and reforming the outer three inches of the bottom of the wing with my teflon coated monocoat iron so the top has the same profile as the bottom.
it flies just fine now at all speeds.
interesting...this is something i have been planning to do but haven't got to it yet...can you post a pic of it?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:56 AM
KELSO & OCEAN PARK,WA
Joined Feb 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskel View Post
interesting...this is something i have been planning to do but haven't got to it yet...can you post a pic of it?
You bet , I'm on west coast time & get home from work around 7pm but will do that for sure .
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:04 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,665 Posts
Has anyone ordered a 300 recently? It makes me curious if the wing is finally corrected even though horizon isn't doing much about it. I hve a hard time believing parkzone would continue to make the 300 with a upside down wing knowing people are complaining to the masses. I saw a guy at the field today with one and his wing came defected or upside down like others on this forum, except he had no idea the wing was wrong.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:15 PM
KELSO & OCEAN PARK,WA
Joined Feb 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Has anyone ordered a 300 recently? It makes me curious if the wing is finally corrected even though horizon isn't doing much about it. I hve a hard time believing parkzone would continue to make the 300 with a upside down wing knowing people are complaining to the masses. I saw a guy at the field today with one and his wing came defected or upside down like others on this forum, except he had no idea the wing was wrong.
I got one last Tuesday and still the wing issue , I picked it up knowing of this wing issue but being a glass half full type want to explore ways to solve the problem .
Besides ironing out the wing bottom ice fabricated a pair of tear drop wingletts that I think will help the airflow over the top.
But yes I've got the latest version and still the same wing issue .
Will post pictures soon.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,665 Posts
Thanks. Sorry you still received an extra with the wing issue, but atleast you have ideas on how to help reduce the problem. Hopefully it flies great after your done with it.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Aug 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
KELSO & OCEAN PARK,WA
Joined Feb 2010
25 Posts
Also I might add , I did take it for a spin the first evening I had it and found nothing remarkable about the flight , I have a 60 trainer , hanger 9 p51, pz Bf109 , pz Trojan and a little pz micro mustang for the rare no wind conditions but I must say I had no problems with the extra what so ever.
I do "screw" with everything I have , that's half the fun is making changes & trying to improve the design to my own liking.
I like the 300 and look forward to monkeying around with it .
My lhs had the bnf on sale for $219.99 and with our club discount was out the door for well under $200.00 ! A good bang for the buck in my book:-)
Old Aug 13, 2010, 01:35 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Don't tell the jihadi(s) but I actually committed half-a-dozen more wonton acts of aviation with the PZ Extra this afternoon, with the wings right-side up.

Channel 8 news is reporting that nobody was harmed, no kittens were frightened, and no property damage occurred, despite my slow flight, knife-edge, Cuban 8's, vertical and horizontal snap rolls, hammerheads, inverted flight, spins and even a lame attempt at a torque roll and tailslide (lame due to my technique, hadn't ever tried it before), all in gusty conditions.

All kidding aside, I am really very happy with the plane so far. Harriers and the like are beyond my current skill set so I cannot comment on that, but slowflight, stalls, steep turns and the aerobatic maneuvers I have mentioned so far all seemed to fly true - I have been making low and slow passes down the runway at around 1/3 throttle and have made several no-power descents to landing and the plane has been completely predictable in all phases of flight.

From a pure physics of flight standpoint, weight and balance would have much more impact on our planes than aerodynamics, this is why the KfM fold-a-foil airfoils and even flat airfoils work well for ships in our size range like the Shumate Parkjets. Yes there are noticeable differences between say a Clark Y and a symmetrical airfoil even for models, but cg will have more impact than anything else - this is why I buy the explanation from HH, although I agree a more conventionally shaped wing would both look and fly better and it is obvious that they are not winning any friends with their current approach.

As for me, I like the plane, have never had issues that needed any interaction with HH for my T-28, and would buy another HH product without hesitation if it was one I wanted.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:18 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2005
202 Posts
I just ordered mine from advantage hobby. Seeing this issue with the wing, I kindly requested one of the newer batch models to see if they fixed the problem. Here is what they said:

"Dear Sir,

Thank you for your order and the comment. We checked into the issue of the wing and find that the mold for the wing has the flat spot that may make it appear the wing is warped. All of the Extra 300's are this way as it is the way the mold makes the wing. Since they are made all the same we would not be able to pick out one that is any different that the others.

Best Regards,X"

Bummer. Whatever though! This plane looks awesome and i have been hearing amazing things about it at my field. Not to mention, the experience of flying a plane against bernoulli's principle kind makes me feel more bada$$
(imagine if the whole wing was flat on the top like that....)

Slomojato: Can you go over exactly how you "fixed" the wing?

Thanks

Samolot
samolot is offline Find More Posts by samolot
Old Aug 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,647 Posts
went for another flight...im really not enjoying this plane as much as I want...think I might sell it and look at a PA or 3DHS