SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Jun 2004
79 Posts
I just this plane and love it! I’m going to fly it in the morning for the first time. I want to do away with the aileron y-harness and run the servos independently to the RX to have more adjustability. I am wondering since I have a couple of stock pz y-harnesses like the one that came with the plane as a servo extension?
Kyonic is offline Find More Posts by Kyonic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2011, 06:27 AM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Maidened the Extra 300 today with a disasterous result. The plane taxied nicely then took off into the light breeze, banked sharply up and to the right. Couldn't get control and it hit the ground. Fixable with snaped fuselage, broken wing spar, cowl and prop.
Not sure what happened? Though CG was good, had battery nearly fully forward with only 1/4 inch showing behind strap, maybe I gave it too much up stick or not enough throttle trying to ease it off the ground and tip stalled?
I have 8 other planes so am not a novice. This one crah shook me! Hmmmmm

Is this plane any good as a handlaunch. If so what throttle technique required. Have a PZ P51 that i hand launch plus several other planes.

Thanks
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old May 10, 2011, 08:32 AM
Australia, WA, Aubin Grove
Joined Oct 2010
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie9496 View Post
Maidened the Extra 300 today with a disasterous result. The plane taxied nicely then took off into the light breeze, banked sharply up and to the right. Couldn't get control and it hit the ground. Fixable with snaped fuselage, broken wing spar, cowl and prop.
Not sure what happened? Though CG was good, had battery nearly fully forward with only 1/4 inch showing behind strap, maybe I gave it too much up stick or not enough throttle trying to ease it off the ground and tip stalled?

Is this plane any good as a handlaunch. If so what throttle technique required. Have a PZ P51 that i hand launch plus several other planes.

Thanks
Sorry to hear about the maiden, I haven't got a great deal of input however to begin with I always had the battery as far forward as it goes and generally take off with full throtle. Don't know if your aware but Parkzone/HH ammended the Cg check out there website. Where abouts are you flying?
Ben82 is offline Find More Posts by Ben82
Old May 10, 2011, 08:51 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
Sorry to hear about that Bonnie. It really sucks when a plane crashes on it's maiden voyage.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 10, 2011, 08:57 AM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
That sucks, I'm sorry. With the information you've given, I'm going to be wiling to bet you stalled it. I'd stick to take offs. I advance the power smoothly, but fairly quickly to full power. If not full power, pretty darn quick. This is a hot little plane and likes speed.

Hand launches would be fairly easy. It has over a 1:1 power to weight, so simply add full power, point the noise to the ground and let her go.

That honestly is probably more more risky than a normal take off.

How much throttle did you use for take off?

Steve
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
Old May 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
third and fourth flight last night, first one resulted in a perfect landing, but i used all the length of the runway at our field to do it, i got hurried on the 2nd one and came in too slow and ended up landing right on the spinner, it bounced well though, no damage that i can see. i love this plane so far and it really hasn't been as scary as i thought it would be as a 2nd plane, just find myself being extremely selective of where i fly it due to the landing speeds.
aarongreen123 is offline Find More Posts by aarongreen123
Old May 10, 2011, 11:16 AM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
913 Posts
yea, probably a tip stall from too much elevator, too little throttle/airspeed.

You want to advance the throttle slowly, keeping it straight with right rudder, then pull low rate elevator gently once the tail lifts, and climb out slow and scale like, this is the easiest way to launch. Depending on your rates, it takes very little elevator, just a touch. Once it starts lifting, and gaining speed, then you are good, fly too slow, pull to much elevator or rudder, and it will stall, without sufficient rates or altitude, a stall will result in a crash. The plane will takeoff in just a couple feet, then can pull vertical or snap to a hover, but you need to be very quick on the sticks with a lot of throw to keep it straight, and use a lot of throttle, it's tough to do without a decent ammount of full fuse 3D experience, and asking for a crash if you are not comfortable with full rates, and flying in a stall. This plane will teach you a lot, but it is an intermediate plane that can do expert manuvers, and will bite you quick if you get in over your head. Even simple takeoffs and landings will be more difficult, and more challenging than the warbirds you have flown in the past. Just take your time, work up to more advanced manuvers, and keep at it. I don't hand lunch this one, but it should be easy enough after you have mastered the basics, and know the stall speed and charachteristics, just point it skyward, ramp up the throttle, toss it at a high angle, and power out while correcting for any roll from starting out essentially in a stall till you have enough altitude or speed to play around.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; May 10, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
822 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
Sorry to hear. Been there, done it. My battery is all the way behind the strap.
How much throw are you using in the elevator.
Plane is very light, any breeze will add to the lift.
I take off with no less than 3/4 throttle. Just so I have more control and momentum. I add just a touch of elevator and off she goes. Once I am away from ground effect I give it more.
After a time I learned how much elevator is too much and I hardly ever venture past that point.
Don't get discouraged. Glue her back together and give it another try.
This was my second plane, so my learning curve was steeper than yours.
It is fun plane once you figure its and your limitations.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 10, 2011, 12:46 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback and advice. Was really suprised what happened as all my other PZ planes have been very predictable.
Yep...... I think a little too much elevator a tip stall at the lower speed. Was probably 50% throttle. Probably not 100% committed and paid the price. Have a PA Addiction which I fly regularly and I consider would be my most "advanced" plane.
Just totally sucks on the maiden :-/. And the takeoff too! Oh well.
Hopefully next post I make is of a successful flight
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Old May 10, 2011, 06:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all for the feedback and advice. Was really suprised what happened as all my other PZ planes have been very predictable.
Yep...... I think a little too much elevator a tip stall at the lower speed. Was probably 50% throttle. Probably not 100% committed and paid the price. Have a PA Addiction which I fly regularly and I consider would be my most "advanced" plane.
Just totally sucks on the maiden :-/. And the takeoff too! Oh well.
Hopefully next post I make is of a successful flight
Been there done that too mate, s**t happens learn from your mistakes and you become a betta pilot. (fly, crash, fix, fly
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
Old May 11, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
flew again last night, good flights but had trouble taking off and landing on the grass at the airfield, and our field is nice, so i'm going to the landing gear mod with the 109 wheels. besides the 109 wheels, what else do i need? going to the LHS at lunch and want to make sure i get it all. Also, is there a prop better suited for grass fields from a ground clearance perspective? i've seen mention of 3 blade props and a 2 blad from master airscrew.... thanks guys, this thread rocks.
Old May 11, 2011, 10:09 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
For wheels, you have a lot of options - pull the wheel pants and go with a wheel at least 3" in diameter. Maxx products makes a nice, thin, light-weight foam wheel, as well as Dubro (lite foam wheels), local hobby shops usually stock them in good numbers. Avoid rubber wheels as they add too much weight. From what I've read, a lot of RC'ers have swapped the 10" prop for a 12x6 APC, but the extra prop length will only hurt ground clearance. The stock prop, IMO, is perfectly fine, but a 12" prop would give more thrust with slightly less airspeed, allowing for better aerobatic potential. Only other modifications I would recommend is to make sure you're getting the most throw out of your control surfaces - use the outer-most hole of the servo horn and inner-most hole of the control horn. Be careful with the elevator, too much elevator on a landing approach can result in a tip stall, though the PZ Extra 300 doesn't have any problematic tip stall behavior (that I've observed). Also, it helps to stiffen up your horizontal stabilizer and elevator with a small c/f spar. Foam is flexible and flex can negatively impact aerobatics, but most beginner to intermediate pilots won't even notice it.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old May 11, 2011, 10:20 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
I put 2.5" Maxx products wheels on. They match the plane nicely.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 11, 2011, 02:34 PM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
what size are the 109 wheels that seem to be a popular mod?
Old May 11, 2011, 04:39 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,979 Posts
Quote:

Thanks
+1 on it being the stall. I stalled mine coming in on one of my first landings and broke the fuselage and cowl. I'd give it more throttle on take-off and pull back on the right stick only gently, when you've got some speed up. Once you get used to it (it lands at a higher speed than most PZ planes) the Extra's an excellent plane--very impressive power and tracking.
GradyLee is online now Find More Posts by GradyLee