Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 05, 2011, 04:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I had the same problem.
I re-glued mine before came out. It looked like the gap between foam and L Gear was getting bigger and bigger. I used gorilla glue.
Then, I had an issue with the L Gear wire coming out
I fixed it too. I drove couple of tiny screws right by the legs at an angle, so the heads are working like retainers.

Rob
Thats an idea, might have to do that myself. Took it out yesterday for a fly and finally getting the used to landing now so hopefully i won't have anymore issues
shung1 is offline Find More Posts by shung1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 12:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
SHUNG1 how are the 109 wheels treating you in the grass? i like that idea and am interested in your results.

same thing happened to my landing gear, i had ca with me and they seem to be on there good.

my esc had come unglued before i even took the plane out of the box. what is the best thing to glue that thing back in place?
aarongreen123 is offline Find More Posts by aarongreen123
Old May 06, 2011, 12:10 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongreen123 View Post
SHUNG1 how are the 109 wheels treating you in the grass? i like that idea and am interested in your results.
The 109 wheel mod is probably the single most common mod done to this plane. Go for it.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old May 06, 2011, 12:31 PM
Joined Dec 2009
207 Posts
thank you sir
aarongreen123 is offline Find More Posts by aarongreen123
Old May 06, 2011, 09:42 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
The 109 wheel mod is probably the single most common mod done to this plane. Go for it.
For larger wheels they are also the cheapest and easiest route.

To shung1: if you haven't found it already, Flaperons / Spoilerons are a PITA with the DX6i. These links might help Flaperon post. There is a LOT of remapping that is a mess. As you may have already heard, because of the wing design, flaperons don't really help. It will tip stall just as easy without really slowing it down. I tried it with my DX7 and didn't see an advantage. A 12x6 prop is the best to help it fly slower with greater stability
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Last edited by pkquat; May 06, 2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old May 06, 2011, 10:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarongreen123 View Post

same thing happened to my landing gear, i had ca with me and they seem to be on there good.

my esc had come unglued before i even took the plane out of the box. what is the best thing to glue that thing back in place?
the 109 wheels are great, you'll need to drill them out to fit on the landing gear wire. I used a 3.2mm drill bit? On my p-47 the esc come loose and i used shelleys kwik grip glue(polystyron foam) safe, works fine.
Old May 06, 2011, 10:19 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkquat View Post
For larger wheels they are also the cheapest and easiest route.

To shung1: if you haven't found it already, Flaperons / Spoilerons are a PITA with the DX6i. These links might help Flaperon post. There is a LOT of remapping that is a mess. As you may have already heard, because of the wing design, flaperons don't really help. It will tip stall just as easy without really slowing it down. I tried it with my DX7 and didn't see an advantage. A 12x6 prop is the best to help it fly slower with greater stability
yeh, i've actually scrapped the idea of flapperons, been looking at fiitting a 12x6 prop. I'm actually doing ok slowing the plane down with the stock prop now so i'll see how i go. Thanks
Old May 06, 2011, 10:25 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shung1 View Post
the 109 wheels are great, you'll need to drill them out to fit on the landing gear wire. I used a 3.2mm drill bit? On my p-47 the esc come loose and i used shelleys kwik grip glue(polystyron foam) safe, works fine.
Hmm The Bf-109m wheels should be the same dia, (which makes them the easy choice). There is the issue of getting then over the threads though. I just turned the wheels on over the threads. They were a little tight at first, but loosened up quickly pushing the plane back and forth.
Old May 07, 2011, 03:28 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shung1 View Post
yeh, i've actually scrapped the idea of flapperons, been looking at fiitting a 12x6 prop. I'm actually doing ok slowing the plane down with the stock prop now so i'll see how i go. Thanks
Spoilerons work nice for me, you still need the speed but the plane doesn't float and comes down at a predictable rate with the wing at a constant angle of attack. This helps me set down on the 30' x 30' patch of short grass at my field.

11.5 x 7.5 Master Airscrew formula one is an awesome prop on this plane for me and field conditions here. Sounds good too!
Johnny Sebring is offline Find More Posts by Johnny Sebring
Old May 07, 2011, 06:10 AM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
I've got flapperons using my Dx6i on 3 of my planes. It's not hard to do.

Steve
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
Old May 07, 2011, 07:12 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,005 Posts
I have never had any problems with flying or landing my 300, had it out the other day and could not land that thing worth a crap. Gave it up after 3 batteries. Had a bit of a crosswind, but nothing I am not used to. Chalked it up to just a bad day and came home while everything was in one piece. Had looked forward to flying that plane all day, I had it in the ride with me for after work. Better luck next time!
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old May 07, 2011, 07:39 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
Well, I got my parkzone extra 300 built today. My batteries didn't fit (flightmax 2200 3s) so I had to hog out foam from the battery compartment.

I purchased a PNP version but when I opened the box there was an AR600X attached to the elevator servo lead. It was just flapping around in the box. My kit was also missing the tape for the elevator, and by the looks of the paint missing on the elevator I'm suspecting it was a refurbished unit. No bit deal I got a free receiver out of it.

After figuring out the battery problem and putting some 2.5 inch wheels on it I took it out for it's first flights. It's a whole lot faster than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting it to have unlimited vertical ether. Overall I'm impressed. I just wish there was a bigger battery compartment.

I think i'm going to paint the squares on the bottom of the wing black as orange top/bottom is hard to distinguish.

It also comes in FAST for landing. Has anybody has success using spoilerons to slow it down?
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old May 07, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
Well, I got my parkzone extra 300 built today. My batteries didn't fit (flightmax 2200 3s) so I had to hog out foam from the battery compartment.

I purchased a PNP version but when I opened the box there was an AR600X attached to the elevator servo lead. It was just flapping around in the box. My kit was also missing the tape for the elevator, and by the looks of the paint missing on the elevator I'm suspecting it was a refurbished unit. No bit deal I got a free receiver out of it.

After figuring out the battery problem and putting some 2.5 inch wheels on it I took it out for it's first flights. It's a whole lot faster than I thought it would be. I wasn't expecting it to have unlimited vertical ether. Overall I'm impressed. I just wish there was a bigger battery compartment.

I think i'm going to paint the squares on the bottom of the wing black as orange top/bottom is hard to distinguish.

It also comes in FAST for landing. Has anybody has success using spoilerons to slow it down?
I painted the top tips of my wings black to distinguish top from bottom. I was going to put flapperons/spoilerons but have worked out how to land without them.
Firstly i have set my D/R & expo lower than the recommended from manual, at the moment they are set to 60%/40%(still a tad twitchy might go 50/50?)on low rates, haven't used high rates as yet!
To land basically when i have about 30 sec to on my timer (DX6i) i cut it back to 1/2 throttle and fly around (handles it fine) then on my last turn i drop down to about 6foot off the ground and cut the throttle completely and she just glides down on her own. As the wheels(fitted bf109 wheels) touch the grass/pavement i give it a touch of elevator up.
Probably sounds easier said than done? its taken a few flights to work it out but works great.
Old May 07, 2011, 08:29 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Had several great flights with the Extra 300 in calm conditions today, no bad behavioral tendencies to roll or tip stall even when the airframe is floating along with no power being applied. Plenty of power and speed on the stock prop, though I may prop up to a 12x6 for more thrust, but quite honestly the stock setup is very good.

If you need to hog out foam to fit your batteries, a quick and dirty way is to use a flat head screwdriver and just chunk the foam out of there carefully until you can fit your pack without too much hassle.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old May 09, 2011, 03:12 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve91t View Post
I've got flapperons using my Dx6i on 3 of my planes. It's not hard to do.

Steve
I've heard, and from what I've seen flaperons with the 5CH AR500 can be a PITA. It is easier with 6CH receivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
A 12x6 or 11.5x(6-7) slows it down pretty good. Vertical has even more punch. Spoilerons don't really slow it down, they help some with minimizing tip stalls or making them less extreme.

Pulsing the throttle on landings can also help achieve a slower landing speed while maintaining control.
Last edited by pkquat; May 09, 2011 at 03:21 PM.