HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:47 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
That is some great flying Patric.
It looks precision to me, despite the fact you are flying foamie, which everybody said is not a precision flying plane.
I tried flipping the wings, but it flew just the same. I added winglets, but thats just to help the pilot, not the plane.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:00 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
An Extra on Ski's???

I gave skis a shot with the extra. The DuBro park ski's should be about right except getting the spring for the ski's over the threads is next to impossible. I will try expanding it later.

I tried the DuBro 0.20-0.60 size ski's. They are a bit heavy and the spring force is too high for the plane IMO. I mounted them, moved the CG a little back with the battery. It would climb on acceleration and really nose drop otherwise. However it did fly "ok". I did not try inverted flight before I planned a landing and take off. It landed find but once it got slow enough it just tipped on its nose. The ski's had very little up pitch, but springs are real strong. I really needed to keep full up elevator just to taxi, even on ice. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I am guessing it was due to spring tension.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
im working on the same project-the skis i tried first arent long enough-they are 7 inches long-im gonna buy the next size up maybe today-you have to also make it so the spring doesnt try to nose the plane over-just make the spring in a position where it wont let the ski get under the plane
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
im working on the same project-the skis i tried first arent long enough-they are 7 inches long-im gonna buy the next size up maybe today-you have to also make it so the spring doesnt try to nose the plane over-just make the spring in a position where it wont let the ski get under the plane
Just an FYI the snow needs to be at least heavy or wind packed to taxi. A friend and I tried an experiment in lighter snow and the skis had to get ridiculously large to taxi without sinking and the plane becoming stuck.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:06 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
i got it-i got some bigger skis-the ones i had first were too small-it taxis great now-i used one of the smaller skis to make a better rear ski-good to go on 4inches of soft powder....
Old Dec 19, 2010, 07:25 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
800 Posts
Quote:
i got it-i got some bigger skis-the ones i had first were too small-it taxis great now-i used one of the smaller skis to make a better rear ski-good to go on 4inches of soft powder....
What length are they. I have a set of Hobby King 10.5 inch long. I made them work on my Stinson, by cutting them down to 7 inch and also cutting away most of the runner on the bottom. I have another set and maybe they'll work on Extra in stock form.
Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:32 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Can you post a pic? I'm heading up to the snow soon, and would love to see if I can duplicate your mod. Sounds way cool.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:30 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
i dont have pics of the skis on the plane-you guys gotta give me a min...i gotta figure out this %$#@ computer!
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:37 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
DU-BRO "snowbird skis"....on the package it says "Cat. No. 825 Main Gear"-illtryto get picks in a min-i just got back from a test flight,,,it handles the snow pretty good but i gotta figure out how to keep the skis to stay put when its in the air-they act like a giant flap whan they droop down after takeoff and the plane pitches strait up on its own-i gotta fight the plane back down-once i get them to stay fairly parallel to the fuze in flight i think they will be fine-one other thing i noticed was they are HEAVY-if you dont have a performer like the extra or somethin that has "extra" power, you will be fighting it to keep it in the air-iarspeed and power has to be higher
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:32 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
9 1/2"(ish) long

forgot rear ski pic
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:38 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
pics

forgot tailski pic sorry
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:31 AM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
DU-BRO "snowbird skis"....on the package it says "Cat. No. 825 Main Gear"-illtryto get picks in a min-i just got back from a test flight,,,it handles the snow pretty good but i gotta figure out how to keep the skis to stay put when its in the air-they act like a giant flap whan they droop down after takeoff and the plane pitches strait up on its own-i gotta fight the plane back down-once i get them to stay fairly parallel to the fuze in flight i think they will be fine-one other thing i noticed was they are HEAVY-if you dont have a performer like the extra or somethin that has "extra" power, you will be fighting it to keep it in the air-iarspeed and power has to be higher
Those are the Dubro's I had tried. I couldn't find a balance between the spring tension and angle. Plus as mentioned in the follow up they are heavy and really push the plane up so it either climbs or falls.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
im working on that issue right now-im gonna make another landiing gear strut and go through the fuze and secure the rear of the skis like a set of floats-and when i build my floats ill just use the rear ski struts as rear float struts-i may get a chance to test it 2day-ill post later
Old Dec 21, 2010, 04:34 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
welp-that didnt werk-tryin somethin else...
Old Dec 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,121 Posts
i had the same "up" issue due to the skis acting as flaps...workin on makinem stay put..