HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:54 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
It's easily my favorite plane for a feelgood flight, even in less than ideal weather!

It does snap if provoked though so I might beef up the elevator and see if that helps.

Tony
My elevator was heavily sored and very floppy. Night and day change
Rickflaguy is online now Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:29 AM
Joined May 2011
1,586 Posts
Fixed the battery stop with CG at 75mm. Sloww easy CROSSWIND landing and easy flight.

Researched CG some. I figured some of you could use this. Some already know.

Forward CG Stability, higher wing loading, higher stall speed, more likely to have an accelerated stall.

Rear CG lighter wing loading, lower stall speed, less stable so more manuverable.

At 75 mm CG I can land at lower speeds and am less likely to stall at landing. I MAY try 80 but right now an happy with the stability and performance.

The reason for high wing loading and stall speed is the elevator is raising the nose which makes the plane heavier. I recomend the CG at 75. I am not a 3d guy and not an advanced pilot either.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:01 PM
Joined May 2011
1,586 Posts
Love the 12x6 and 11x7 props!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:06 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
I've got some 11/7 props but not had chance to try one yet.
Looking forward to it!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:39 PM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
984 Posts
another happy Extra300 owner checking in.
Helldiver is offline Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:18 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
That's some pretty nice photography!
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I had mine out today in the 10-15 mph wind. Funny to back off throttle downwind and watch the plane tumble like paper...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:34 AM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1998 View Post
That's some pretty nice photography!
thanks clouds were amazing that day
Helldiver is offline Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:48 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi all,
I am experimenting with low speed stability fixes for my Extra 300 as she has a bad slow speed tip stall tendency.

I raised the ailerons 2mm above standard to apply some wash-in and this has had a positive effect.

Now what I was thinking; was to put a set of wing fences/sfg's 1/2 to 2/3 along the mainwing to see if this improves the slow speed stall?
Does anyone know if this has been tried and whether or not it was successful?

If I introduce these wing fences along the top of the mainwing and the sfg's beneath them on the underside of the wing, do I need to be aware of any new aerodynamic issues that may be caused? (high speed characteristics effected?).

Also if anyone has any experience with this sort of modding, as the plane has a fairly straight wing; would a middle wing or a two thirds wing mounting position be better?

Thanks for any insights as I would like to improve the plane, but am concerned with dumping it into the deck while learning and experimenting due to my lack of knowledge and experience with aerodynamics.

Cheers
orbit_01 is offline Find More Posts by orbit_01
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:03 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,273 Posts
A few people have added winglets/SFGs at the tip with good results!
You're not a novice are you? Don't be scared of the Extra. It's no Newbie plane for sure but it is quite docile when flown with respect
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:25 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
No i'm not a newbie, but i'm not a Mike McConville either :-)

I do like flying the Extra, it is a fun, fast and aerobatic plane, however I don't like that it can be unpredictable at times.

The slow speed tip stalls, and even worse the high speed high-g turns where it can sometimes drop a wing and throw itself into a spinning dive are what i would like to alleviate.

That being said, I didn't actually want to glue wingtip vertical plates on the very end of the wing, I was actually thinking of more mid to two-third wing fences (similar to the new parkzone plane the visionaire).

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=parkz...r:76,s:0,i:320

Do you think a style of fence similar to the one's on that wing design would help the Extra's handling characteristics?

Cheers
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:38 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Orbit,
Any kind of vortex generators should help with the slow speed stalls - I've seen a few rc examples that were pretty cool looking, functional, and seemed relatively easy to do. Same goes for SFG's on the wingtip. Most of the folks on here hashed out some solutions a while back for the high-speed stall problem. The solutions focused around the elevator, which most folks found to be too flimsy, with the result being that it twisted when high forces were applied to it, causing the crazy snap roll. The two most successful solutions seemed to be 1/ reinforce the elev with CF rod, 2/ turn down the elevator throw for high speed flight using a rate switch. If you search for "CF" in this thread, you ought to find plenty of results, and if you browse the attachments in the thread (see the 'thread tools' menu above), you'll find tons of photos of successful mods.
Best of luck,
Josh

EDIT: Here's the stuff I was thinking of: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7100
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Feb 16, 2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: added link
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:45 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2009
70 Posts
Hi Josh, thanks very much.

I'll search that now ;-)

Cheers

Andrew
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:47 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Andrew,
Found it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7100
Enjoy!
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Fly this plane on 125% throws in 15mph wind and you'll see it's quite easy in the calm. Its A little jumpy at first in high wind till you calm down
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim