HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:08 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
2.7 oz all gone from the nose

Sorry to bang on about this but please check your CG, a tail heavy Extra can be a real handful, especially when landing.

Tony
I check my CG after a good meal. Seriously I check it when I put the same battery in the same place from the day before. Thanks for the advice.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:09 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,179 Posts
flew my t-28 today and was fantasizing about the extra 300. chomping at the bit. ive got over 125 flights on the t-28 and feel ready for something faster and more nimble. youtube vids have me really excited. is it christmas yet?...
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:21 PM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
flew my t-28 today and was fantasizing about the extra 300. chomping at the bit. ive got over 125 flights on the t-28 and feel ready for something faster and more nimble. youtube vids have me really excited. is it christmas yet?...
go for it chap, if your ok with the T28 the extra will be no issues. just note what everyone is banging on about CG CG CG CG, oh and glue the gear in before you maiden her.
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,179 Posts
will do. thanks. i beefed up the t28 gear before maiden as well, so i am on board with that for sure. thanks.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:06 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
1,945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbrabus View Post
go for it chap, if your ok with the T28 the extra will be no issues. just note what everyone is banging on about CG CG CG CG, oh and glue the gear in before you maiden her.
As much as I appreciate what some of you are saying about CG..
I have found CG will help when you've a new plane or glider.
After that it how you fly..
a friend and I both have Extra 300.

yet we both have our CG set in different places ,
neither of use have them set on the stock CG setting.
Mines around the 80mm from the LE and I can dead stick
my extra in from 150 feet up..

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined May 2011
1,495 Posts
Quote:
will do. thanks. i beefed up the t28 gear before maiden as well, so i am on board with that for sure. thanks.
Goilla glur inside the slot unles you have to take it off. I will likely come off anyway and then you use gorilla glue on the outside!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:22 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
Yes, remember to shove your battery as far forward as it will go (the fastening strap should fasten over the wires, not the battery) to get the CoG right. The original CoG in the manual and as indicated by the positioning of the straps is wrong and led many pilots to grief.

Another trick is to adjust the travel on the elevator so you only have about 10mm travel either up or down. This is plenty of elevator for this design of plane. It will prevent grief associated with snap rolls and stalls from too much elevator deflection in manouveres.

After 50 or so flights, you'll be good enough at flying the plane to move the CoG wherever you want. Moving it back improves the slow speed performance, but at the expense of stability and reliable landing. It is no a 4-D plane, but you can hover in a stiff wind etc with the CoG back.

I just jam any battery into it now, whether it flops around or I can only fit in half in doesn't really matter once you've go enough flights/experience with the plane.

The Extra is still my windy day plane when everything else is grounded, although it can be a bugger to hand launch in high winds.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Last edited by MercerMaggot; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:03 AM
Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Mayday
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,473 Posts
Yup!

The Extra is my wind plane. I fly it when I dare not get anything else out - then spot land it widthways onto the runway. (Strong winds are nearly always 90 to our 35/17)

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nearly done!!
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined May 2011
1,495 Posts
I found this link on easy vortex generators. The guy who posted the link uses them on every airplane he has. Anyone tried these or something like them?
If they're good enough for the Lear ....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7100
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,179 Posts
what are the different size batts people are using for this plane? i know what it comes with but i have batts ranging from 1800- 2500 mah and 15c - 25 c. which of these do you think is worth using? all? just curious as to how many of my batts i can use in this bird and if others are doing the same. thanks, walt
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:11 AM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
281 Posts
Quote:
what are the different size batts people are using for this plane? i know what it comes with but i have batts ranging from 1800- 2500 mah and 15c - 25 c. which of these do you think is worth using? all? just curious as to how many of my batts i can use in this bird and if others are doing the same. thanks, walt
Most of the battries that fit in the T-28 will work in this plane. The battery compartment is much tighter in this one than the T-28. I had to enlarge mine a bit to get some of my 2200mAh batteries in it. My favorite batteries for this plane are the 2200mAh 30c batteries. I can get about 7 mins. of flight time with a little to spare. It uses a bit more power than the T-28 due to the 10.5x9 prop on it and the 15 size brushless motor.
Just be aware that you have to "fly" this plane, it has no self righting tendencies like the T-28 does and is also faster and more responsive. Like others have said, watch out for too much elevator deflection when you first start to fly this one. It tends to snap out of a loop with too much elevator.
Its a thrill to fly for sure!
rgwilson is offline Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,404 Posts
Also worth mentioning to someone new to this plane. On the thing of keeping the elevator movement minimul, we're talking really small. Coming from something like the T28, you won't believe how little elevator movement is needed. 1/4" each way will probably do anything in the aerobatic line you would want for starters anyway. You can always add more later, or dial down later, whichever fits your fancy though. I have had several guys see mine when I checked the controls before flying and trying to get me to stop and adjust for more elevator movement - they don't think it's enough to fly. But then I put it up and do a few square corners with it and they just shake their heads.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:45 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,179 Posts
great elevator info! this is the advise that will make my maiden a joy and not a trajedy. i like the batt all the way forward too. i run the t28 batt past the original stop forward by at least 1/4 inch and love the way it flys.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,404 Posts
Just an additional caution. All planes can fly differently even if they are the same plane from the same manufacturer. If you start out with low throws on any plane for maiden or initial flights, always start carefully and make sure you don't put yourself in a situation where you might not have enough travel to get out of trouble. Don't start out with low throws and come screaming at the ground at 90 degrees 5 ft high and find out you can't turn it that quick. Just start with level flight and feel out the controls, then if they are too much or too little, advance which ever direction necessary in small steps. Usually after you get used to a particular plane, you can start putting more movement in and be comfortable. You just learn how not to use it all unless necessary.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined May 2011
1,495 Posts
ALL the way forward past the broken foam block I have 79-75 mm CofG. I think that might do it. Let youu know. Listen Sunday for the sound of foam! Or not...