Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:22 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
LHS says they will have the new Edge QQ in this week. I am loving that little micro SBach 3D, but to be honest, am missing flying my bigger PZ Extra 300 and PA Extra 260's. They have more presence in the air, and are more impressive to watch. As much as I can do everything with the micro that I can with these, it's somehow MORE FUN to me to do it with the bigger planes.

Guess that's what drives people to 50 and 90 inch planes, etc. ... I know where I am heading! (LOL) Only thing is, you don't fly THOSE in the park. (Or in the case of the little micro SBach and Beast, on the street in front of my house!)

Has anyone put the Extra 300 on skis? LOVE to see some video of that.

Marlin
I like the higher visibility. Saw the Edge today in the box.

Sweet!
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Radical departure

I had to good flights with no damage. On the third I got in a tight spot and broke the wing spar and the cowling. I had to pull up and stalled to the right low.

I have been researching stall and especilly tip stall. The two factors I have found are wing loading and CG. Forward CG increses stall speed. Wing loading does too.

Pretty elementary but here is where I got a wierd idea.

I have a 480 motor that is quite a bit lighter that the Power 15. I swapped in the 480 on a Fun Cub and the diference was pronounced. Even dropped the stall speed of the cub quite a bit.

Has anyone tried something like this? Am I really off track?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:19 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
A rear CG will lower the stall speed, but it can also make a plane more likely to spin (aka tip stall).

It also makes the elevator very twitchy on this Extra. All in all not worth it IMHO.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:07 AM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
A rear CG will lower the stall speed, but it can also make a plane more likely to spin (aka tip stall).

It also makes the elevator very twitchy on this Extra. All in all not worth it IMHO.

Tony
what about weight?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:15 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Kinda depends where you put it

A heavier plane, all other things being equal, has to fly at a higher AoA for the same speed. This puts it closer to a stall. Add in the fact that the heavier plane has a higher wing loading means the stall/spin will be more pronounced.

Keeping it light has some benefits!

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SilentPilot; Dec 04, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:56 AM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Kinda depends where you put it

A heavier plane, all other things being equal, has to fly at a higher AoA for the same speed. This puts it closer to a stall. Add in the fact that the heavier plane has a higher wing loading means the stall/spin will be more pronounced.

Keeping it light has some benefits!

Tony
I'm going to try the 480. I'll keep it forward though. What can it hurt? I mean more than already?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:07 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
LHS says they will have the new Edge QQ in this week. I am loving that little micro SBach 3D, but to be honest, am missing flying my bigger PZ Extra 300 and PA Extra 260's. They have more presence in the air, and are more impressive to watch. As much as I can do everything with the micro that I can with these, it's somehow MORE FUN to me to do it with the bigger planes.

Guess that's what drives people to 50 and 90 inch planes, etc. ... I know where I am heading! (LOL) Only thing is, you don't fly THOSE in the park. (Or in the case of the little micro SBach and Beast, on the street in front of my house!)

Has anyone put the Extra 300 on skis? LOVE to see some video of that.

Marlin
You owe it to yourself to try this one. It does not even compare to flying a um plane. It flies much like the balsa planes you mention above. Will do more stuff than my pz extra with more ease and has a wider flight envelope. It is close to the ultimate parkflyer so far, at least from HH. It's super durable (don't ask how I know) and very economical to fly. $6 batteries fly it for 7-8 minutes and recharge in 12-14 min, so three or four of them let you fly all day nonstop. No bad habits at all, does the tricks, super easy on landings and addicting.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:23 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I'm going to try the 480. I'll keep it forward though. What can it hurt? I mean more than already?
No harm in trying, so long as you make sure that the CG doesn't get too upset all should be ok
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:40 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,208 Posts
i am seriously considering getting this plane for christmas. i was going to get the p47 but i think i want to move away from the warbirds and focus on some speed! not really into 3d type flying but would love to use this plane to help me with my sport flying education. i watched many youtube videos and lots of people love it and say the wing issues is a non-issue. proof is in the videos i guess. hurry up santa!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:02 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
i am seriously considering getting this plane for christmas. i was going to get the p47 but i think i want to move away from the warbirds and focus on some speed! not really into 3d type flying but would love to use this plane to help me with my sport flying education. i watched many youtube videos and lots of people love it and say the wing issues is a non-issue. proof is in the videos i guess. hurry up santa!
If you want to do IMAC style flying this will be a GREAT platform for learning that, in fact I didn't truly begin to enjoy this plane until I started to learn IMAC pattern flying on it. It has a TON of power, so no issues with any of the normal pattern maneuvers. Tremendous roll rate, very predictable and when CoG right, inverted and regular flight is almost hands free. (ish) The Orange color and paint sceme are, to me, very HIGH VIS and make things easier. I know my flying patterns with it actually had a couple of guys at our club go out and buy them as their first foamie ever, as they were so impressed with how well it flew.

The wing thing was a bunch of balogne, at least in my opinion. Just fly the plane like you would a normal balsa plane and you will be fine. I LOVE mine and have turned down offers to purchase it from others after I picked up my Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 as though it is a superior plane for 3D, I still like some aspects about the PZ Extra 300 better.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you!

Marlin
Fish99 is online now Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:27 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,208 Posts
thanks for the positive words. i think i am going to get it. i always see it on the shelf at my lhs so i think its calling my name. plus i have 12 batteries that i use for my t28 that should work for this one too. trying to keep things consistant in hopes of not getting into too many different battery sizes. walt.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:32 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,889 Posts
Get it! To add to what Marlin wrote, the Extra is tough as nails. Guerrilla Glue fixes everything. If you do get it, be careful with battery placement, and don't allow for too much movement in the elevator (or the plane will snap-roll).
Best,
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:26 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
Many people, like myself, must have hundreds of flights on the PZ Extra and it is still one of our regular flyers. Mine has been glued back together umpteen times, the undercarraige has vanished (I have to hand launch), but it is still so much fun to fly. In my view, this PZ will still be in your flying hangar long after you've given up on, or moved on from, your other PZ warbird models.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
I have mounted the 480 with standoffs. Using the Corsair prop and esc I still have a decent powerplant. lowered the weight by 2.7 ounces. New spar should be in Friday.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:51 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,971 Posts
2.7 oz all gone from the nose

Sorry to bang on about this but please check your CG, a tail heavy Extra can be a real handful, especially when landing.

Tony
RCG Plus Member