SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:53 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazor 22 View Post
No need for a bigger battery, 2200mah gets me 8 minutes. And you don't really need to do anything if you use a paved runway, just set up your radio and fly.

Oh and I've tried other 2200mah batteries the parkzone is the only one that will fit without cutting. Unfortunatly the parkzone's only charge at 1C and are way over priced.
I'm flying the stock battery, Turnigy Nanos, regular Turnigy, and Zippy Flightmax 25c batteries in my extra.

They all fit with no cutting... it was really a squeeze to get them in at first, but now the foam has compressed a bit. I made a loop out of packing tape on the end of the batteries so I could pull them out without yanking on the wires.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:00 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,124 Posts
well,well-see we have an "extra" thread-but this time it aimed more at the "positives" than the "NAGatives"-thats good, it gives us a chance to share the positive stuff and mods we have made to make the plane fly better. I think i have had all the issues that anyone with this plane has had and i think ive made all the mods that everybody else has, but yes, the issues i had at first made me very inconfident in this plane and in Parkzone,but after the mods, the plane flies better than the pilot(not saying much) GEAR-gorrilla glued main bracket back in place, got rid of pants, bigger wheels, spring loaded kitestring stabilzation aparatus(mite post pics if i can figure out how)WING-simply flipped over, put winglets on-i now have unbelievable slow speed stability,incorporated 3 position flaperons and single position spoilerons with dx7 and the stock ar500 Rx-YES, you CAN.......i changed all the linkages for max throw and turned high rate up to 125% and max travel to 150%-put in expo....TAIL-installed two small wood dowels where the horizontal stab meets the fuze where the tape is supposed to go-the tape is on there but it wasnt very convincing, and for those who have not pulled all your stickers off and "repainted" it yet, there is a factory seam, a BIG one in front of the empanage that needs some attention...i put gorrilla glue in mine, no more tail flex-after i made all these mods i still wasnt thoroughly impressed....until i checked my cg-it was WAY nose heavy with the battery all the way forward-dont do this-this was parkzones way outta fixing the wing mess, all it did was speed the plane up and keep it away from stall speed-if the wing would have been right the first time they would not have done this-i moved the cg back where it was supposed to be and BAM!!-i mean BBBAAAMMM!!!-whole different plane-i was now impressed with the plane and confident in its stability-i had to put in some down trim and it way outflew me-the smoothest landings ive had the ballooning quit and it flew amazing. "PAINT"-took off all the gay ass pz decals and bought some big sharpie markers-way cooler..ill try some pics..
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:11 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,124 Posts
pics

these pics were taken before i made the last mod to the gear-i will take more pics of the SuperTurd if anybody wants to see the spring loaded gear stabilization aperatus!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:40 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
these pics were taken before i made the last mod to the gear-i will take more pics of the SuperTurd if anybody wants to see the spring loaded gear stabilization aperatus!
I like the way it looks. Did you change the prop size on your plane?
3DBobz is offline Find More Posts by 3DBobz
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:25 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,124 Posts
No-and im glad you brought that up. I was wondering what my options were since im not crashing the the plane every time i fly it-this is my first plane and only have about 20 flights on it(and ME!)-3 blade?-wood?-composite?what are the options?-has anybody ever put a "good" prop on this plane? I dont want to have to change my power supply to put on a different prop so if i do ill just fly..CRASH it the way it IS!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 06:43 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
No-and im glad you brought that up. I was wondering what my options were since im not crashing the the plane every time i fly it-this is my first plane and only have about 20 flights on it(and ME!)-3 blade?-wood?-composite?what are the options?-has anybody ever put a "good" prop on this plane? I dont want to have to change my power supply to put on a different prop so if i do ill just fly..CRASH it the way it IS!
I have heard tha people say a 12x6 prop will slow it down and make it fly better at low speeds and am woundering what changes to make to mine to.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:21 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobshack View Post
I have heard tha people say a 12x6 prop will slow it down and make it fly better at low speeds and am woundering what changes to make to mine to.
12x6 is what I prefer, for those reasons, and the drastically better vertical capability... it can really get you out of those stall situations better.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Dec 13, 2010, 07:30 PM
Suffolk, VA
Joined Nov 2010
2,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
12x6 is what I prefer, for those reasons, and the drastically better vertical capability... it can really get you out of those stall situations better.
Thanks does it aloow you to fly at slow speeds to?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Jun 2008
775 Posts
Quote:
In short I would say no, because in general the plane does not really "fly" slow, especially with the stock control throws. It does allow you to fly a little slower with a little more control and as mentioned can get you out of stall situations better. The top speed is slower, and the plane accelerates and decelerates in closer relation to the throttle stick movement.

For first flights I would recommend the stock throws.
pkquat is offline Find More Posts by pkquat
Old Dec 13, 2010, 09:48 PM
Hmm, I wonder If this will fly
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jul 2004
420 Posts
the motor will take 4s but you will toast the esc,(28A with stock batt, 34A! with a 35c 2200), even stock it's right near its limits on the plane... but 4s is really not needed re-proping will give you mor power or speed as you'd like... like it was stated a 12x6 for lots more thrust, but i seem to like the 11 to 11.5 inch props better something like a 7-8 pitch seems good to me using the 35C batts.

i've used these props with mine:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/11x8_g_so...p_608_prd1.htm - decent all 'round prop good efficiency

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/11x8_cam_...e_465_prd1.htm - nice sound looks and runs good bit more thrust than above higher amp draw

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/12x6_cam_...e_467_prd1.htm - lots of thrust ...lots... lost quite a bit of top end speed but would climb slowly at 90 deg strait up and 50% throttle

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ974&P=0 - not that great efficiency but cheap and work decent...

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZ977&P=0 - prolly the most raw thurst of any i've tried but ate allmost 45A at WOT on the 35c batts (41A on 20C)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVHX1&P=0 - not as efficent as the gsonic or cam props but prolly the best comprimise between speed and thrust ... i use this on mine most of the time...
killerproblem is offline Find More Posts by killerproblem
Last edited by killerproblem; Dec 13, 2010 at 10:08 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,124 Posts
thanks for info KP
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:03 PM
Hmm, I wonder If this will fly
United States, FL, Port Charlotte
Joined Jul 2004
420 Posts
no problem... i'm a tinkerer, can't seem to leave anything as it is.... prolly why i've scratch built so many planes over the years... and I useally keep some of the info from mods and projects around for , well, WAY TOO long...
killerproblem is offline Find More Posts by killerproblem
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:05 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,942 Posts
Quote:
I feel like the 12x6 lets me get waaaaay slow, especially on landing. For example, if I'm above glide slope and want to descend at a steeper angle, I can cut power and the 12x6 acts as a brake. 10-15 mph descents to landing are no problem. And, like pkquat said, if I get too slow and get in trouble, the 12x6 has the punch to get me out of trouble.
-Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:27 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,124 Posts
are there any wood 3 blade props that would work, or this plane not worthy of this type prop?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:56 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
I feel like the 12x6 lets me get waaaaay slow, especially on landing. For example, if I'm above glide slope and want to descend at a steeper angle, I can cut power and the 12x6 acts as a brake. 10-15 mph descents to landing are no problem. And, like pkquat said, if I get too slow and get in trouble, the 12x6 has the punch to get me out of trouble.
-Josh
what brand of 12x6 u r using. i have buy 2 diferent brands 1 GWS i am afraid to use this prop because it seems that will go to break apart at full thrutle. and the otherone not sure the brand was from hobbyking a composite one 12x6 but that thing weight like 65 grams extreme heavy.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX