SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:59 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
landing...I start landing final approach 100+ yards away. The final turn before that is 130+ yards. Plane likes to land with some speed so I have throttle on 1/4 until 1-2' above the grass. 3" wheels help too. Then full up elevator as touches down.

I am also a big fan of low rates @ 60% and expo at 50-60%.

Changing props made HUGE difference in landing. With stock prop you really have to land fast.

Rickflaguy--I crashed too--this was my first 40" plane..--I got this right after micro sukhoi. At first I used to break a prop 1 out 5 flights. Steam from tea kettle and foam tac glue are great stuff for repairs. My battery went through the firewall 2X. Your prop and motor mount may need adjusting if you had major damage in the cowl area.
What happened is I was landing rear to front. Cross control and then switching to regular. Right as she was 90 degrees to me a gust hit. I THINK i zigged when I should have zagged. The front never hit, just the tail and wing. The wing shrugged it off but the attachment point needed glue.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:55 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,276 Posts
Had some good flights with my 300 yesterday

Still totally stock. I'm putting on an 11x7 next for improved thrust. I hardly ever fly WOT so I'll happily trade some top speed for thrust.

I tried to provoke a snap by using full high rate elevator at speed but it wouldn't misbehave...

All in all I still like this plane very much

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2011
1,588 Posts
Great Flying

If someone will tell me how I post video I have some cool vids of an Extra 300 at the Cocoa Air show today
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Hi Rick,
Post the bid on YouTube, then paste the link in this thread and you'll be good!

-Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined May 2011
1,588 Posts
Guess I'll be creating a YouTube account.

I removed the landing gear today. I there a good method of strengthening it?
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:57 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Many have used white foaming gorilla glue to glue in the orange landing gear mount. I did - works great!
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
landing gear plate strengthening

yep gorilla glue the orange plastic plate in and then also
I put hot glue in the slot where the wire goes in (GG there could work too)
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:17 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,276 Posts
Yup!
Mine would rip out for fun, even on a runway, no problems at all since I filled it with GG
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Preaching to the quire here,yea,that gorilla glue is awsome stuff.What i did for the wire part of the gear was, i wrapped the top ends,before it curves to go into the slot in the gear plate,any ways to make a long story even longer, i put some duct tape on the wire before i stuck the gear in the slot, and then i drizzled foam tac all in the crevice of the plate,works real good.
So good that when i totaled my second fusalsge today,{got to cocky again}that the whole underside of the plane tore off,along with,you guessed it,the landing gear, also cracked cowel and a bent bell housing on the motor.
Still an awsome plane though.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:33 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Had some good flights with my 300 yesterday

Still totally stock. I'm putting on an 11x7 next for improved thrust. I hardly ever fly WOT so I'll happily trade some top speed for thrust.

I tried to provoke a snap by using full high rate elevator at speed but it wouldn't misbehave...

All in all I still like this plane very much

Tony
Do you have the full recommended throw from the manual at high rates? If you do, and it doesn't snap out when you use it, the would be quite interesting.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:38 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,276 Posts
I've misplaced my instruction book, no idea what high rates should be!
Mine has quite a lot of travel, certainly more than an inch either way...

I did have an unexpected snap the other day which threw me, that my be on my mind making me hold back. At this last outing I was trying to provoke it but it wouldn't do anything unexpected
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,200 Posts
You can download the manual here:
http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...-Manual_EN.pdf

Recommended rates:
Low Rate High Rate
Aileron: 12mm (0.47 in) 30mm (1.18 in)
Elevator: 10mm (0.39 in) 37mm (1.46 in)
Rudder: 35mm (1.38 in) 55mm (2.17 in)
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:21 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,276 Posts
Thanks, I might download that when I get back to my laptop.

As a rule though I don't stick to stock specs, I use them for starters and adjust to my liking after flight tests.

I've got the Extra just right for me now. Couldn't even tell you the CoG, I've not measured it since I finished my trials. I've just got markings for the battey location for windy conditions, calm and 'stunt' flights. I don't want to say 3D, that's not my thing...

Still, I've got a great plane just the way I like it

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Sep 2012
30 Posts
Hi, my name is AJay and I'm a happy owner.

You all have probably been looking for me.... You know, "that guy." The one that used to fly trainers only but quit flying totally twelve or maybe fifteen years ago.

When I quit flying this, "Three Dimensional" thing with guys flippin and floppin their bird all about the field was catching on. It looked like fun but I was happy tooling around for 45 minutes at a time with my Goldberg Eagle at two trim clicks above idle.

This weekend I purchased the Extra and made my grand re-entry into the hobby. I'm not stupid, ... I also grabbed a Super Cub (It came with a transmitter) to put a couple of packs through before moving on to the Extra.

The Super Cub was everything I had hoped for in a foamie 3 channel trainer so I moved on to the Extra after two packs. Throws at max on high-rate, throttle forward and skward bound... yes sir indeed.

The Cub is a happy little guy just cruising around 7ft over the turf... the Edge is not. The Edge is a very angry young man. He looks like a very spastic $229 flying in tight formation with the ground.

So far the carnage has been minimal, knocked the gear off twice, scared a few babies and the small matter of a court order barring me from coming within 1000 feet of a particular, yet unnamed school yard.... ever.

I may have missed a step on the 3 channel high-wing trainer to full aerobat but what the heck... I'm a Parkzone Extra 300 Happy Owner. This is our thread.
AJay Newb is offline Find More Posts by AJay Newb
Last edited by AJay Newb; Sep 24, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined May 2011
1,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay Newb View Post
Hi, my name is AJay and I'm a happy owner.

You all have probably been looking for me.... You know, "that guy." The one that used to fly trainers only but quit flying totally twelve or maybe fifteen years ago.

When I quit flying this, "Three Dimensional" thing with guys flippin and floppin their bird all about the field was catching on. It looked like fun but I was happy tooling around for 45 minutes at a time with my Goldberg Eagle at two trim clicks above idle.

This weekend I purchased the Extra and made my grand re-entry into the hobby. I'm not stupid, ... I also grabbed a Super Cub (It came with a transmitter) to put a couple of packs through before moving on to the Extra.

The Super Cub was everything I had hoped for in a foamie 3 channel trainer so I moved on to the Extra after two packs. Throws at max on high-rate, throttle forward and skward bound... yes sir indeed.

The Cub is a happy little guy just cruising around 7ft over the turf... the Edge is not. The Edge is a very angry young man. He looks like a very spastic $229 flying in tight formation with the ground.

So far the carnage has been minimal, knocked the gear off twice, scared a few babies and the small matter of a court order barring me from coming within 1000 feet of a particular, yet unnamed school yard.... ever.

I may have missed a step on the 3 channel high-wing trainer to full aerobat but what the heck... I'm a Parkzone Extra 300 Happy Owner. This is our thread.
I saw a guy on craigslist selling that pair. You live in Central Florida?