SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:52 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
If you are new to the extra, and haven't read the update from Horizon concerning cg and battery placement, here is the link to it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...bnf-PKZ5180#t5

Sorry, link just takes you to the extra description. Once there, click on important product bulletin in red at upper right on the page.

I think some of the bad press the extra got right off the bat was because of the mistake in the manual.

The intended forward cg location, which is 2 " (70mm) aft of the wing's leading edge.

3" (76mm) aft of the wing's leading edge.
This location is actually the recommended aft cg.

Sean
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,882 Posts
The numbers are fine, but the pics in the original manual showed the battery way back further than shown in the bulletin.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:32 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
The numbers are fine, but the pics in the original manual showed the battery way back further than shown in the bulletin.
So it does..
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKatSun View Post
How did you screw the lid to the firewall? Did the screws pass through the two plastic parts and into the styrofoam? Or where the screws parallel to the front of the fuselage?
Thanks.
Screws were from the front passing through the remainder of the firewall and into the foam. Screws were about 1.25 inches long.
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:42 AM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
Just curious my extra 300 electronics and motor would they work in the eflite extra 260???? I really dont care for how it flies, flicking out the elevator flicking out in turns and loops, landing gear it even came with a bend wing i had to use hot water treatment to get it straight. Bottom line i just want to use the electronics it seems since the balsa eflite extra 260 is lighter could it work using the extra 300 electronics???. If not what could i use off the extra 300's electronics for the eflite extra 260 or any other balsa acrobat maybe even the precision aerobatics mini katana? Thanks
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:48 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewkc View Post
Just curious my extra 300 electronics and motor would they work in the eflite extra 260???? I really dont care for how it flies, flicking out the elevator flicking out in turns and loops, landing gear it even came with a bend wing i had to use hot water treatment to get it straight. Bottom line i just want to use the electronics it seems since the balsa eflite extra 260 is lighter could it work using the extra 300 electronics???. If not what could i use off the extra 300's electronics for the eflite extra 260 or any other balsa acrobat maybe even the precision aerobatics mini katana? Thanks
I don't see why not , as long as it fits OK..

Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,149 Posts
If you find out let me know how you get on please!

I love my 300 to bits, it has taught me loads but is now getting old and worn out. I really would get another. I do feel that I'm ready for and unlimited aerobatic balsa ship now, thanks to what the 300 has taught me.

So yeah, bottom line, I'm in the same boat as you. Eflite Extra or maybe something from 3DHS or Extremeflight. Whatever suits the 300s electronics. I don't mind upgrading the servos, start with a better elevator servo first then maybe the rest later...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jul 2011
98 Posts
The Precision aerobatics mini katana has the exact same specs. I figure if i save the 2 digital servos and get another 2 maybe S75 or something. The extra 260 asks for a eflite 40 amp speed controler, the extra 300 is so much heavier then the eflite extra 260 a 30 amp esc from the extra 300 would still make it plenty fast. Does anybody know how? Or moved there parkzone extra 300 electronics and put them in a different plane like my suggestion, or a similar planes like the eflite mini funtana. I mean the extra 300 is really fast and is way heavier than the planes i mentioned. Thanks would like to save some money times are rough.
Drewkc is offline Find More Posts by Drewkc
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:20 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
The Precision aerobatics mini katana has the exact same specs. I figure if i save the 2 digital servos and get another 2 maybe S75 or something. The extra 260 asks for a eflite 40 amp speed controler, the extra 300 is so much heavier then the eflite extra 260 a 30 amp esc from the extra 300 would still make it plenty fast. Does anybody know how? Or moved there parkzone extra 300 electronics and put them in a different plane like my suggestion, or a similar planes like the eflite mini funtana. I mean the extra 300 is really fast and is way heavier than the planes i mentioned. Thanks would like to save some money times are rough.
I once taken the Motor/ESC out of a Parkzone Radian and fitted them in a Multiplex Blizzard. The Blizzard was nowhere near fast with the Rad motor/ESC but still got a heavier glider in the air..

Sean
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:21 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,882 Posts
I believe the motor from the extra is quite heavy for any of the above mentioned planes. If I'm not mistaken those planes all work well with a Park 480 which I believe is considerably lighter than the motor in the Extra.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:28 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,353 Posts
So what have people swapped the motor too, and how have you propped the plane for best results.
I think she flies great as standard but if there is a better setup I'm all ears.
blackbrabus is offline Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:08 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
The Parkzone extra flys about as good as it is going to get on the stock electronics. If you want a better flying plane your better off starting from scratch and leaving the extra as is.

A 3dhs 41" edge 540 can be put together for under $200.00 that will do acrobatics much better than the extra, but the extra is a very very good sport flyer.

I have a 12x6 propeller on my extra to slow it down and give me more thrust. It flys very well like that as long as you don't try any sudden elevator movements.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:04 PM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post
The Parkzone extra flys about as good as it is going to get on the stock electronics. If you want a better flying plane your better off starting from scratch and leaving the extra as is.

A 3dhs 41" edge 540 can be put together for under $200.00 that will do acrobatics much better than the extra, but the extra is a very very good sport flyer.

I have a 12x6 propeller on my extra to slow it down and give me more thrust. It flys very well like that as long as you don't try any sudden elevator movements.
I had a feeling that may be the case.....thanks for the reply.
blackbrabus is offline Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:41 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,149 Posts
Quote:
The Precision aerobatics mini katana has the exact same specs. I figure if i save the 2 digital servos and get another 2 maybe S75 or something. The extra 260 asks for a eflite 40 amp speed controler, the extra 300 is so much heavier then the eflite extra 260 a 30 amp esc from the extra 300 would still make it plenty fast.
My LHS can get hold of the Extra 260 for about 100.
I might have to get one and transfer everything over. The 300's motor is probably heavier but I'm sure that can be sorted by putting the battery further back...

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:35 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by creapyd View Post

X2

I was going to use the electronics from my Extra but found out the motor is waay heavy. Didn't trust the servos in a balsa. So I kept the 300 and started my 3dhs edge 540 from scratch. It's cheaper than an E-Flite 260 and IMHO a far superior plane. But I'm glad I kept the Extra 300 as I still love flying it. And for sport/aerobatics there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I still can't figure out why people hate it???
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998