Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 01, 2012, 01:15 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimStanmore View Post
I'm thinking 10-20% expo might be OK. Any opinions?
Set it up with the throw an expo in the manual. They're good starting points. But the most important thing is to make sure you have the CG far enough forward - see the addendum on the web site. It makes a HUGE difference especially when landing. I fly with the battery shoved far enough forward so the Velcro strap is right at the back end of the battery.

- Ken
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
I did fly mine with 20 percent expo for a while, but later I set it up as per the manual and that just makes it a lot smoother and easier to fly.
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:38 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
942 Posts
I'm learning to do continuous rolls. I can usually manage lines and turns using elevator only, sometimes lines with both elevator and rudder, and sometimes loops with elevator only.
Today I got a little out of sync going around a turn at the end of the field, and instead of just stopping the roll and recovering I got cocky and tried to get back in sync. Lost orientation, messed up an attempt at recovery, confusing myself in the process so I messed up the second attempt, and then it hit the tree. You'd be surprised how hard it is to find an orange and white airplane in the top of a leafy green tree - I don't think I ever would have found it if the canopy hadn't fallen to the ground. Even after finding the canopy took me another 5 minutes or so to spot the plane. Used the controls to wiggle it out of the tree.

This is the perfect opportunity to really work on my foam repair skills Although I'm pretty skeptical that it can get straightened out and trued up well enough to be any fun to fly again. It may just need a new PNP plane. Or it may be that it just gets retired, once I get my new epp yak put together I'll see if I still feel the need for the extra.

Regardless of it's future, the 61 flights I've had with this plane have at times been a bit frustrating, especially early on, but mostly fun and always educational. My skills as a pilot have improved considerably with this plane. Even if it never flies again I certainly got my money's worth of fun and skill improvement out of it!
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,663 Posts
Quote:
MXZ - Thanks for the suggestion. I actually was going to put the rates down to 50%. And based on what I've been reading, the elevator throw down to 1/2" or so. I am setting up my 9x today because I finally got an AVUSB programmer and loaded er9x.

On the expo, I have been reading a lot about whether it is good to use a lot when you are learning. When I first was around R/C in the '60s as a kid, there was no expo or D/R. The sporadic flying I did between then and now was on a JR Max 6 72mhz. And I don't use expo on the sims although I love D/R for taming things down. I just wonder if it will mess up my muscle memory to have a lot of expo. On the other hand, I would like my air time to be more than my repair time...

I'm thinking 10-20% expo might be OK. Any opinions?
At 1/2" on the elevator, if you mean both up and down, it will probably snap out of a loop or quick 90 up move if you throw the elevator in quick. Don't know what you plan to try with it, but simple aerobatics will be fine with 1/4" each up and down.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:37 AM
Changing one life at a time...
United States, NJ, Pemberton Township
Joined Aug 2010
361 Posts
Aero - I bought it used and only read through the manual online before I picked it up. Thanks for reminding me about that. I read through the entire Happy Owner thread so, I am up on the CG and battery.

mxz - I always tell people to RTFM and now I need to hear it.

bobly - I wasn't sure whether it was 1/2" one-way or both and you saved my having to go back through the thread. I just received a throw meter as part of a trade and this is going to be my first use. 1/4" it will be. BTW, I plan to fly it smoothly, learn pattern and consistently land in one piece. Printed out pg 13 in the manual with the throws and expo info.

Thanks

Now to wait for the 2200 battery so I don't fry my 1300 20c...
JimStanmore is offline Find More Posts by JimStanmore
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JimStanmore; Sep 02, 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:36 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,663 Posts
Quote:
Aero - I bought it used and only read through the manual online before I picked it up. Thanks for reminding me about that. I read through the entire Happy Owner thread so, I am up on the CG and battery.

mxz - I always tell people to RTFM and now I need to hear it.

bobly - I wasn't sure whether it was 1/2" one-way or both and you saved my having to go back through the thread. I just received a throw meter as part of a trade and this is going to be my first use. 1/4" it will be. BTW, I plan to fly it smoothly, learn pattern and consistently land in one piece. Printed out pg 13 in the manual with the throws and expo info.

Thanks

Now to wait for the 2200 battery so I don't fry my 1300 20c...
Realize that each plane reacts differently. Just be careful on first few flights and feel it out. Don't put yourself in a position where you need more control movement than you have until you get it sorted out. I believe I have even less than 1/4" up and down and still have plenty for most aerobatic moves on low rates and then have high rates set with close to 1/2". I am far from an expert and consider myself in advanced learning stages. I arrived at the low rate setting by testing on mine. I kept reducing travel until I reached the point that I could throw full up and get straight up lines or loops at any speed. Now as I am a bit more experienced with it I can use the higher travel rate by being careful when and how quick I dump in full elev travel. But still rarely use it but I do not even entertain 3d type moves on mine.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:53 AM
Deutschland, BW, Ebersbach an der Fils
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
i was flying my extra 300 for 1 year now and sold it

I had a good time with the extra, pushed my skills up.

After buying a MPX Acromaster and a Extreme Flight Edge 540 V1 (ply) i did not fly the extra anymore.

The Acromaster with a powerfull Setup is able to do all the tricks the Extra can do and even more.

I loved the Extra.....

unsubscribed

Bernd
morrigan is offline Find More Posts by morrigan
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Extra 300 firewall repair help

My teenage son - the flyer in the family - has an Extra 300.
I've done various repairs after some of his rougher landings but over the
long weekend he got clipped in the air which resulted in a nosedive crash.
Fortunately, most of the front-end is intact... except the firewall was split in half.
The Parkzone site shows the firewall as part of the fuselage.
I'm hoping someone in this group of Extra enthusiasts has some tips on how
to repair / replace the firewall without buying the entire fuselage (and transferring
the electronics).

Thanks!
DonKatSun is offline Find More Posts by DonKatSun
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
25 Posts
My new 300 is bound to my dx6i but the receiver keeps blinking is that right, I unplugged the batt and plugged it back in but same thing it slowly blinks but all the controls work.
hinzer is offline Find More Posts by hinzer
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,663 Posts
Blinking light usually means the receiver either did not bind right or was bound and then lost power and it came back. Do you unplug the plane battery first and then turn off the transmitter after flying or trying unsuccessfully to bind. Then you must turn on transmitter first and plug plane battery in next when powering up. So at startup, everything off power trans first then plane, for shutdown, power off plane first, then transmitter.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonKatSun View Post
My teenage son - the flyer in the family - has an Extra 300.
I've done various repairs after some of his rougher landings but over the
long weekend he got clipped in the air which resulted in a nosedive crash.
Fortunately, most of the front-end is intact... except the firewall was split in half.
The Parkzone site shows the firewall as part of the fuselage.
I'm hoping someone in this group of Extra enthusiasts has some tips on how
to repair / replace the firewall without buying the entire fuselage (and transferring
the electronics).

Thanks!
Not sure how to post pics but I completely busted the firewall on mine as well. Not wanting to buy a fuselage I got to thinking. Took a plastic lid off of a peanut butter jar and attached it to the remainder of the firewall with some long screws. Screwed the motor mount back onto my new firewall and works perfect. Been flying like that for months.
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Sep 06, 2012, 03:58 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
Hey guys, I posted this first in the old 3D foamy thread by mistake, thought I should post it here where it belongs. I just dusted the cobwebs off the Extra, I forgot how much fun and "twitchy" this puppy is. I took her up for a spin with no prob's, landed fine changed the battery and must have not gotten the CG just right. It porpoised and flailed around the field like a drunken sailor... lol. I got her down anyway but ripped the landing gear out "again" in the process. Well went back to the bench and fixed her back up.Just thought I'd share a few pics of her. First time i"ve flown it this season but wont be the last for sure!
bruins is offline Find More Posts by bruins
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:43 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Set it up with the throw an expo in the manual. They're good starting points. But the most important thing is to make sure you have the CG far enough forward - see the addendum on the web site. It makes a HUGE difference especially when landing. I fly with the battery shoved far enough forward so the Velcro strap is right at the back end of the battery.

- Ken
From the Manual.
The CG location is 2.75 inches (70mm) back from leading edge
of the wing at the root +/- 1/4 inch (6.4mm). This CG location has
been determined with the ParkZone 2200mAh 11.1V 25C Li-Po
battery installed in the battery cavity.
Note: When a nose-heavy (forward) or tail-heavy (rear) condition
is desired, move the battery forward or to the rear.

I have my CG set at 76mm,
just love the way the Extra flys with where the CG is set..

Sean..
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Sep 06, 2012, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,663 Posts
If you are new to the extra, and haven't read the update from Horizon concerning cg and battery placement, here is the link to it.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...bnf-PKZ5180#t5

Sorry, link just takes you to the extra description. Once there, click on important product bulletin in red at upper right on the page.

I think some of the bad press the extra got right off the bat was because of the mistake in the manual.
Last edited by bobly; Sep 06, 2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: link not right
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1998 View Post
Not sure how to post pics but I completely busted the firewall on mine as well. Not wanting to buy a fuselage I got to thinking. Took a plastic lid off of a peanut butter jar and attached it to the remainder of the firewall with some long screws. Screwed the motor mount back onto my new firewall and works perfect. Been flying like that for months.
How did you screw the lid to the firewall? Did the screws pass through the two plastic parts and into the styrofoam? Or where the screws parallel to the front of the fuselage?
Thanks.
DonKatSun is offline Find More Posts by DonKatSun