SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:41 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,031 Posts
Out today with our Extra 300
we tried a bit of combat fun chasing each other around the sky then were flying them

Mine on the left , Peters on the right.

Sean
http://www.bandonmodelflyingclub.com/
skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:14 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,093 Posts
You have an extra Extra?

I know. "The devil made me do it."
kevinrc is offline Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:48 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
My motor don't get hot like you describe, AeroKen. It gets warm but not what I would call hot. I don't fly in very warm weather though, but I do fly it back to back without any time too cool in between. I just land, swap batteries and take off again. I'm usually not on the ground for more than 1 or 2 minutes.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:12 AM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,330 Posts
Good to know Freddan. Perhaps my motor is on its way out - I did have to vacuum some dry powdered dirt out of it after a crash a couple weeks ago, perhaps some got somewhere it shouldn't have.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:26 PM
Bacon
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Mar 2011
180 Posts
I recently acquired one of the sweet machines used. After 2 flights, the stock motor kinda fell apart. Anyway, I ordered a new one Power Up 15 Sport from HURC http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Sport/Detail. After installing, I found that it's a bit shorter than the stock motor. When I install the prop adapter, and put the spinner base on, I find that it's at least 1/4" inside the cowling. I added several washers behind the spinner base, but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. What can I do? I don't have that much experience with this size plane, so I just don't know. Do they make different prop adapters that will fix this or do I have to shim the motor where it mounts?

Thanks for any suggestions!
super_dork is offline Find More Posts by super_dork
Old Aug 06, 2012, 11:11 PM
Bacon
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Mar 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_dork View Post
I recently acquired one of the sweet machines used. After 2 flights, the stock motor kinda fell apart. Anyway, I ordered a new one Power Up 15 Sport from HURC http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...5-Sport/Detail. After installing, I found that it's a bit shorter than the stock motor. When I install the prop adapter, and put the spinner base on, I find that it's at least 1/4" inside the cowling. I added several washers behind the spinner base, but I'm not sure that's the right thing to do. What can I do? I don't have that much experience with this size plane, so I just don't know. Do they make different prop adapters that will fix this or do I have to shim the motor where it mounts?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Nevermind, I found this http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2053 post and ordered one of the mounts from Custom RC Parts.
super_dork is offline Find More Posts by super_dork
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Jan 2012
20 Posts
Hi all,

just lost my stock tailwheel on a hot landing in a soccer pitch. I ended up putting on a new 1.75 inch Diamond wheel and a new lock collar so things are good as new.

i thought i would post it up in case anyone else ran into this.
TacHelo is offline Find More Posts by TacHelo
Old Aug 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2011
202 Posts
Hey all,
Took some more videos this weekend with my Extra 300. Greased 3 landings in a row and caught it on video!
8/11/2012 Parkzone Extra 300 - take offs and landings (2 min 48 sec)

This one not so much. I think the extra camera weight on the end of the wing was throwing me off.
8/11/2012 Parkzone Extra 300 - rough landing (1 min 51 sec)

Let me know if my videos are boring you and I will stop posting them

Joshua
joshuajcrouch is offline Find More Posts by joshuajcrouch
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, OK, Stillwater
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
getting hot in there

hey everyone! quick question, I just got my extra a few days ago and have been loving it every since! However, I am afraid that my esc is getting excessively hot, what would be a good replacement and how would one mount it?
Uncle Amir is online now Find More Posts by Uncle Amir
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:37 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,503 Posts
Flew my 300 again today

The sun was going down and I needed to get home. I wanted to fly my Stinger 64 but the wind was only down the short runway so I took the Extra up to blow the cobwebs off it!

'twas very nice to get her in the air again. Did one very rough landing and nosed over on the grass, both of which would have ripped the gear off, the new gorilla glued gear held firm

I flew a mixture of pattern aeros and 'warbirds' type moves just to get he hang of it again. Tried a tight loop and it just corkscrewed out really messing up my orientation for a few seconds in the fading light. Luckily I was quite high and managed to save it. Mental note to switch to low elevator rates for fast flight...

SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:43 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
Did the exact same thing last week.. Gotta watch that elevater. Sure is a blast to fly though.
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,503 Posts
A total beaut!!!
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:35 PM
BUILD IT LIGHT & WIND IT TIGHT
Joined Jun 2012
51 Posts
I maidened my 300 on 5-22-12 and with the radio set up as to what the manual called for I did not notice the right elevator roll I had no idea of this.!!! So 3 week's ago I took all of the EXPO OUT of my apprentice,300,yak-54 & stryker and on all 4 they all still have the low rate's as to the manual spec's. And now I have all of my control rod's as close to the surface as they will go well except me yak cause I can't mess with those there fixed any way on my 300 I was coming in from a dive full throttle and 3' off the ground I gave her full elevator and well there I was WOW MY BAD !!! it was ugly real ugly.!!! So I put on the spair fuselage on and took it back out, for round #2 and no matter what I do I can't take out that dang roll.!!! "Unless I fly her like I did when I had been flying for 9 day's" uh bummer.!!! Now I have been flying for 128 day's and have flowen maybe 60 pack's at this point and just feel like this airplane is flawed I cant take it this ain't right. I want to fly it like my yak and can't, so I'm going to swap all the gear into the E-FLITE EXTRA 260 less motor ! I AM NOT HAPPY WITH MY 300 ANY MORE.!!!! Don't get me wrong I know it's not a yak and yes it's still fun to fly around + it has taught me lot's in the way it fly's I am thank full for this ! ;} I don't know I still have much love for how fast it will roll and how snappy it It's, kinda suck's that's all. I put 6 LiPo's through it today and every one was fun so I can't gripe to much ! ;} oh yeah and I am running an 11X10 apc prop on it.
AWESOME KONG is offline Find More Posts by AWESOME KONG
Last edited by AWESOME KONG; Aug 18, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:34 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
1,330 Posts
Kong, don't give up on the plane because of the problem with the elevator. Once you know it's there, it's not that hard to avoid, and when it does catch you no that you know what's happening you can recover quickly. Maybe not 3' from off the ground, but at any altitude at which you can reasonably expect to measure the lifespan of the airplane in something longer than minutes :-)

Also, you can dial down the elevator throw enough so it doesn't happen. I have my low rates set to 10mm throw on the elevator, and it doesn't snap out with that. If you want to fly 3D at all you need more throw than that, but if you want to fly more traditional aerobatics you may not. And if you do go for more throw on high rates (I have 35mm), just exercise some restraint with the right stick for non-3D maneuvers.
AeroKen is online now Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
A second to the advice above. I have my low rates set to where it won't snap with full up at full throttle. Still does aerobatics fine, but if you look at the elev movement you would swear it wouldn't do a loop. Then you can set high rates if you want to play with some 3d stuff, but it's not a 3d plane anyway. Also, we all set things up differently, but sounds to me like you have a lot of prop on it. Most around here run 11x7 apc's and a few that do a bit of 3d with them run 11x5.5 apc props. 11x10 sounds close to being more than the stock setup would like, but if it can swing it you should have a speed demon for sure.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly