HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:22 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Jun 2009
735 Posts
I agree, no more than 10mm travel up/down travel on the elevator and trim to suit. Stick with the battery as far forward as it will go for the first flights. With experience, you can start moving the battery back and it is an excellent plane in high winds. Instant snaps, spins and barrels at WOT at low altitude are really impressive with this plane, but take confidence. You must adjust the elevator travel down so it no longer snap rolls when you get into trouble. The plane is pretty easy to glue back together when you do snap it into the ground.
MercerMaggot is offline Find More Posts by MercerMaggot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:59 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
Put it in to my PZ Wildcat with a 60 amp esc and 4s, hello 670 watts!
Na, if I'm staying with foam then the Extra is perfect.
I was thinking about when I progress on to a crunchie...
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
For the "roll right on elevator" problem:

I minimized this problem by doing a Elevator -> RUDDER mix. I put like 5% left rudder on both up and down elevator. the issue was still there, but it was greatly reduced.

This would be a GREAT plane if it didn't have that tendency. but with it I find the plane to be just Okay. It's regulated to my "to windy to fly anything else" plane.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jul 02, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Has anyone strenghtened the elevator? If so, how did you do it?

My current solution is just to avoid maximum up elevator.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jul 02, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
I think the best solution may be to try adding a Y to the rod and then sticking a horn on the other side.

You can try reinforcing the elevator, but it will still neck down to almost nothing in order to pass through the rudder. With so little width to work with, the elevator just ends up twisting in the center no matter how strong you make it. Maybe skinning it or replacing with a balsa elevator would help?

My Extra is still grounded ever since the RX problems. I don't feel comfortable flying it outside of an AMA field, and there isn't an AMA field that's convenient for me.
CptnIncompetent is offline Find More Posts by CptnIncompetent
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:37 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
After flying my 300 a few times I can see why people talk about the snap roll issue. I didn't realize just how touchy it was till yesterday. It about bit the dirt several times while I was flying. I dialed it back to 50% and 20% expo and that helped some, but might need to back it down a bit more until I figure this plane out. On full rates this thing is crazy fast and way beyond me at this point. Other then that it seems to be a good all around plane to move up to from the T28.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnIncompetent View Post
I think the best solution may be to try adding a Y to the rod and then sticking a horn on the other side.

You can try reinforcing the elevator, but it will still neck down to almost nothing in order to pass through the rudder. With so little width to work with, the elevator just ends up twisting in the center no matter how strong you make it. Maybe skinning it or replacing with a balsa elevator would help?
Thiat is kind of what I was thinking. Didn't see any simple fix to make. I tried adding a little CA to the plastic piece that reinforces the center of the elevator, just to make sure that wasn't slipping. Haven't flown it since, though.

I thought about adding a carbon rod across the elevator, but not sure that would help any.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
After flying my 300 a few times I can see why people talk about the snap roll issue. I didn't realize just how touchy it was till yesterday. It about bit the dirt several times while I was flying. I dialed it back to 50% and 20% expo and that helped some, but might need to back it down a bit more until I figure this plane out. On full rates this thing is crazy fast and way beyond me at this point. Other then that it seems to be a good all around plane to move up to from the T28.
For me at my present level of competitence it has been an excellent step up from the T28 - but I just don't want to fly the T28 any more. I have stiffened up the elv and it is as stiff and positive if not more so than any plane I own and it will still do this with too much elev applied too quick. The more experienced pilots I know that fly it don't have a problem, but I haven't acquired the skill yet to get my thumb to only apply what elev is necessary at the speed required to smooth it out, so for the time being I have just limited the travel on mine to the point to where I can throw as much elev as I have as quick as I can without the problem and that's keeping me happy. If I were trying 3d type maneuvers I probably would not be a happy camper though, but don't know enough about that to even worry about it. I just wanted a neat aerobatic plane and the extra comes through with what I want.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
The Extra is so clean it doesn't want to slow down. Has anyone tried flaperons? I'm afraid it would cause it to tip stall so thought I would ask before I try it.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 12:57 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,304 Posts
I've reinforce the elevator plenty, it's got CF in 3 different places. It's not elevator twist that's causing the snap. It's bad aerodynamics. left rudder is the only way to correct for it, but it's not a complete solution.

Parkzone advertises this one as a sport-acrobat. not 3d. it's a horrible 3d plane, but a decent sport plane.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:10 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
The Extra is so clean it doesn't want to slow down. Has anyone tried flaperons? I'm afraid it would cause it to tip stall so thought I would ask before I try it.
Cut throttle and hold altitude. The Extra will slow down quite well.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:23 AM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
I think he meant Attitude? try moving the battery around, COG is critical for landing, mine works best w the velcro wrapping the battery at the very end where the wires exit the battery. This plane lands great, and flairs nice at the end.
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:24 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrnone View Post
I think he meant Attitude? try moving the battery around, COG is critical for landing, mine works best w the velcro wrapping the battery at the very end where the wires exit the battery. This plane lands great, and flairs nice at the end.
With the battery that far back mine is tail heavy and very twitchy on elevator. Weird that it differs so much from plane to plane.

What batteries are you using?

I'm using 20C 2200 mAh Zippys and 25C 2200 mAh NanoTechs. Both are pretty light batteries and I like to have them almost all the way up front (about 8 mm back, 1/3 of an inch).
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:24 PM
lownslow
United States, FL, Cape Canaveral
Joined Nov 2011
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
With the battery that far back mine is tail heavy and very twitchy on elevator. Weird that it differs so much from plane to plane.

What batteries are you using?

I'm using 20C 2200 mAh Zippys and 25C 2200 mAh NanoTechs. Both are pretty light batteries and I like to have them almost all the way up front (about 8 mm back, 1/3 of an inch).
i am using the 25C PZ that came with it and some 30C 2200mah sky lipos, sky lipos are not light, I had the velcro over the wires and it felt nose heavy, moved the velcro so it sits on the end of the battery and it flies nice, she floats forever, but yet will land, I had it further back when new and I cold not land it.....tail heavy
windrnone is offline Find More Posts by windrnone
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Feb 2011
196 Posts
Took some on-board footage today. This is my first time trying this and I think it turned out rather well:

7/22/2012 Parkzone Extra 300 - take offs and landings (2 min 24 sec)

7/22/2012 Parkzone Extra 300 - rear view (4 min 25 sec)
joshuajcrouch is offline Find More Posts by joshuajcrouch