HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
I have a spare 11x8.5e prop doing nothing , I mite just try that..

allso have a spare APC 11x7e for my WOT4 ,
so I'll have to see which ever one works best

Sean

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
Canada, AB
Joined Jun 2011
183 Posts
I always use an 11x8 and love it. A little slower than stock but a very strong vertical. On the stock setup it makes almost 50oz of thrust.
mxz1998 is offline Find More Posts by mxz1998
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:23 AM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxz1998 View Post
I always use an 11x8 and love it. A little slower than stock but a very strong vertical. On the stock setup it makes almost 50oz of thrust.
Will it hover and do most aerobatics with that much thrust?
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Jun 15, 2012, 02:15 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Will it hover and do most aerobatics with that much thrust?
This plane is really tricky to hover. There are some videos waaaaay back in the beginning of the thread - take a peek. If you want to give it a try, move the battery back a bit, and put a 12x6 prop on there. For hovering, you want a larger diameter, finer pitch prop - the diameter will help spread the propwash over the control surfaces, and the finer pitch will prevent the prop from stalling at low/zero airspeed.
JoshA
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:52 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
So u recommend the 11x7 over the 12x6? I got some 12x6's for mine but haven't flown it yet. I have the 11x7's since I use them on my Trojan.
Yes, personally I recommend the 11x7. I've flown alot with the 12x6 APC as well and it was ok but I've found my perfect match in the 11x7. But then again I fly aerobatic manouvers all the time and never any slow stuff.

But as jgalexander says, If you want to try more 3D-style flying then a 12x6 or maybe 11x5.5 will be better. The 12x6 is a good prop because it has a little of both worlds, it gives you good power at slow speeds and it's still fun for aerobatics but the 11x5.5 is just boring to me. Too slow.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jun 15, 2012, 03:58 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,990 Posts
I've blown the dust & cobwebs off my lil' 300, been doing yer average sport flying
I still reckon she's a fun plane to fly
The other day it was blowing a gusty 10-15 knots, fun just harrier against the wind right in front of me
Rock stock, just fun out of the box
Landings I come in with a bit of speed and just a touch of throttle, might be just me but feels like she'd stall fairly easy, even though she seems to glide forever in ground effect
A fun plane to just go sport fly
AussieHoppy is online now Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Finally got my Rx's in today and installed it in my 300 all geared up to fly it tonight. I hooked the watt meter to it to verify everything was ok with amps, etc and was shocked. The motor I got for it should of been more then enough to do anything I wanted to do or so I thought. It's this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail rated at 72oz thrust at 39amps. I got the 50 amp ESC and 12x6 for it as well to start with. It was only pulling 27 max amps and 305 watts. Something sounds off. My Trojan with a smaller motor pulls more and puts out more. Any ideas??

Here is the ESC. http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r.../S50A_BEC.html
Last edited by JoshB; Jun 15, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,029 Posts
What batt were you using? Was it fully charged?
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:50 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
3S 2200 25c Yes I had just charged it last night. 12.62 starting voltage
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,058 Posts
Quote:
Finally got my Rx's in today and installed it in my 300 all geared up to fly it tonight. I hooked the watt meter to it to verify everything was ok with amps, etc and was shocked. The motor I got for it should of been more then enough to do anything I wanted to do or so I thought. It's this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail rated at 72oz thrust at 39amps. I got the 50 amp ESC and 12x6 for it as well to start with. It was only pulling 27 max amps and 305 watts. Something sounds off. My Trojan with a smaller motor pulls more and puts out more. Any ideas??

Here is the ESC. http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r.../S50A_BEC.html
Sure sounds like enough power for the 300, but agree it doesn't match up with the specs as you say. If your motor is about the same weight of the stock one with those numbers, it should fly ok, but likely no better (if as good) as stock motor.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:26 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Fear not the Extra 300

Maiden flight tonight. No wind, sun down low. Put the APC 11x7 on her and away we went.

Wow was I impressed! Love it. Flies great. Landed really well too. I removed the wheel pants and put larger wheels on main and tail.

I am not sure where all the bad reports or "fear the 300" comes from. I was sure to set VERY LOW rates especially on the elevator. Still very responsive and quite fast. Less than 1/2 throttle and it still moves pretty good.

I have winglets/SFG's on, not sure if they help or not as I haven't flown without them, but I will say she can slow down a lot and still fly.
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:33 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Sure sounds like enough power for the 300, but agree it doesn't match up with the specs as you say. If your motor is about the same weight of the stock one with those numbers, it should fly ok, but likely no better (if as good) as stock motor.
I haven't tried to fly it yet so it might be enough to fly it, but I bought it thinking it would be MORE then enough, if you know what I mean. ; ) Its really disappointing to be all hopeful about something then to only find out its not what they say it is.

I did notice when I throttle up at about just over half, it acts like its full throttle. In other words the last 1/2 of throttle stick movement does nothing to the motor. I'm lost. Never had this happen before.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:26 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,757 Posts
That could be it!

Sounds like you might need to set the throttle range on the ESC, probably more revs available
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:21 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Thought I was done with this plane, but started flying it again after some minor modifications recently. Carbon fibered the tail and put in a turnigy 35-42/5 1250 kv motor w/ the stock T – 28 prop. Great little sport flyer now! Awesome vertical performance, pulls 50 A at WOT and smaller diameter prop means no prop strikes. Love it again!
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:56 PM
Novice in training
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
That could be it!

Sounds like you might need to set the throttle range on the ESC, probably more revs available
ESC had no manual with it to tell how to do that. Someone at the field today suggested that also. The instructions are very vague. Might have to email them and see what they say.