Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:43 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,780 Posts
Pulled a dumb one yesterday with my Extra

Big day at the field, lots of flyers. A friend had just landed a big 120 4 stroke and was bringing the plane to him (I thought). Just before his plane got to him, I headed for the runway and at the same time, he decided to circle back out to the runway and take off again. Result, a mid-ground collision. That great big prop punched a couple of pieces out of one wing. But the pieces stayed intact and 5 minutes with a hot glue gun after I got home and everything looks to be flyable fine again. It don't look quite as pristine as it did, but I think it'll be fine. Thank goodness for foam, if it had of been one of my balsa planes I'd hate to think what that wing would have looked like. Love this little plane, if the wing had of been destroyed, I'd just have to ordered new ones.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I understand the impatient part, I am too. That ought to do the job nicely. Let us know how it works out. Glad the US warehouse ships fast cause the Hong Kong one is SLOW.
For every one part Hong Kong is slow, USA is three parts FAST!

I placed an order at 2:00 pm on a Wednesday, and it shipped at 4:05pm the same day. It was at my doorstep via USPS at 12:00pm Friday. Thats 46 hours from clicking "pay" to opening the package. From Washington state to Georgia. Not too bad!
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:48 PM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
I am looking for some good photos/instructions on adding winglets and possibly the balsa insert in to the end of the wing to increase the curve of the top of the wing where it flattens out.

I have searched and found snippets of info here and there but haven't found enough to confidently consider the mod...

Anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:40 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
There was a guy on here who used Burger Box foam on the end of the wings as SFGs!

It looked quite good and it reportedly flew well too
It's quite a few pages back but I'm sure will show up in a thread search
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:01 PM
Limited flyer
Joined Dec 2011
412 Posts
Quick question. I have the extra 300, have not flown it yet, still cutting my teeth on the pz wild cat,practicing basic aerobatics and landing with speed,any how here is question.
I have the flat top wings and a new set with the proper airfoil,preasently i have the flat tops
flipped.Should i just use the new ones in the proper postions, or go with the currant configuration.

Any advice will be eccepted.

P.S It might be a while before i read your suggestions for i want to finish reading this thread first.
Limited flyer is offline Find More Posts by Limited flyer
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:08 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,997 Posts
By all accounts the old flattop wing is a non event. Just ensure the CG is good then all will be well.

I've got the new wings so its not an issue for me but if I had the old style then I would be tempted to put winglets or SFGs on the tips, this should take the vortex effect away from the wingtips and make for good handling.
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Apr 27, 2012, 01:34 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
I'm the guy who put the SFG's on made out of meat tray foam and yes they really help slow the Extra down on their own or in conjunction with flaperons. I have had 3 sets of wings and all the old style never flipped any of them. With new wings would certainly mount them as intended.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:00 AM
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Well i have the Eflite sbach and am gonna get this pretty soon. how does it compare to the sbach? Also where should i buy it from to ensure i get the good airfoil? ( horizons website, LHS, ETC) Thanks
Tcragun56 is offline Find More Posts by Tcragun56
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:14 AM
Canada, QC, Témiscouata-sur-le-Lac
Joined Dec 2008
75 Posts
Finally did it!

I used gloss black Krylon H2O directly over orange paint.

BB
BlackBeast is offline Find More Posts by BlackBeast
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
I would imagine if you ordered directly from HH you would get the new wing. As has been stated MANY times before on this thread the old wing is really a non issue! Most important thing on the Extra is getting the CG correct and keeping the elevator throws conservative until you get used to the Extra. The whole purpose behind this thread originally was to get away from having to keep beating a dead horse or in this case a flat topped wing. Old wing or new wing it really isn't going to make that much difference. Sorry for ranting a bit there.

BlackBeast, nice job on the paint. Looks really good and should be a big help with orientation.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 09:11 AM
Canada, MB
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
Flaperons or Spoilerons

I will be putting winglets on my 300, and from reading through majority of this post, it seems that the spoilerons are preferred over the flaperons.

Anyone confirm or dispute that?
Flying By is offline Find More Posts by Flying By
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
I would imagine if you ordered directly from HH you would get the new wing. As has been stated MANY times before on this thread the old wing is really a non issue! Most important thing on the Extra is getting the CG correct and keeping the elevator throws conservative until you get used to the Extra. The whole purpose behind this thread originally was to get away from having to keep beating a dead horse or in this case a flat topped wing. Old wing or new wing it really isn't going to make that much difference. Sorry for ranting a bit there.

BlackBeast, nice job on the paint. Looks really good and should be a big help with orientation.
Hey sorry for bringing up the issue, i know its not a big deal anymore but i am somewhat of a perfectionist and i just like things to be brand new out of factory

But how does the extra compare to the eflite sbach? I know they are both in completly different leagues because one is an UMX but im just curious how the flying characteristics
Tcragun56 is offline Find More Posts by Tcragun56
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:49 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying By View Post
I will be putting winglets on my 300, and from reading through majority of this post, it seems that the spoilerons are preferred over the flaperons.

Anyone confirm or dispute that?
I can't speak to the 300, but in general, spoilerons dump lift and reduce the chance of stalls, while flaperons increase lift, but also increase the chance of a stall. If it was my plane, I'd go spoileron.
Best,
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 10:54 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcragun56 View Post
Hey sorry for bringing up the issue, i know its not a big deal anymore but i am somewhat of a perfectionist and i just like things to be brand new out of factory

But how does the extra compare to the eflite sbach? I know they are both in completly different leagues because one is an UMX but im just curious how the flying characteristics
Did a quick search for "sbach" - this page seemed like a good source of info: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...h#post19587801
Hope that helps,
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2012, 03:01 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
Can't comment on the SBach as I haven't flown one except on the Sim and any comparison between a UMX and the Extra would be like comparing a hotwheels car to a 1/24 scale diecast.
I have tried spoilerons and flaperons on the Extra and liked flaperons better as in they were much more useful. I had both setup on switches so that I had 3 positions. (0%,50% and 100%) When used with SFG's 50% flaperons worked great for general aerobatics and landings. I could do some VERY tight loops both inside and outside to the point of thinking the wings were going to snap off. Landing with 50% flaperons were easy and I cold slow way down especially with a 12x6 prop. The only thing I really liked about spoilerons was when I mixed it 80% to elevator. Then you could do an elevator and drop almost vertically while keeping the nose level with the horizon.