HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well the PZ batteries are thinner than most of the others it seems, so that is probably why it can slip under the bar. As you get more familiar with the airplane, you will probably start moving those batteries back so the end of the battery is under the strap.

In the meantime - if you wedge a piece of foam under the end of the battery it will probably stay where you put it

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:01 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,898 Posts
I'd try what Wolfe suggested before moving the strap. A
Also, seems to me like your batt might be too far forward.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnIncompetent View Post
Whatever the stock battery that comes with the BNF version is - 2200mAh?

I also have a pair of Turnigy Nanotech 2200s, but haven't put them into the plane yet because they're a tiny bit wider (~1mm iirc) and I haven't had time to cut space for them.
You shouldn't have to cut anything for the 2200 nanotech's. I run 2 of those also. They just fit in really tight like the regular trunigy's. They ain't gonna fall out.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 22, 2012, 05:29 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,898 Posts
When you do start using those batts, put a piece of packing tap all the way around em, and make a "tape strap" so you don't have to yank on the wires to get the batt out.
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnIncompetent View Post
I haven't opened the battery area yet since I've only run the PZ batts and haven't tried the 1mm wider Turnigy I have waiting.

When I slide the battery fully forward, as prescribed in the updated manual, it passes fully forward of the wing spar. That leaves a gap between the aft end of the battery and the velcro tie-down. While I had been passing the wires through the tie-down, I believe the battery was able to migrate over the tie-down and then the excitement happened.

I will probably cut some space in the battery compartment and relocate the tie-down further forward, but I just want to see what everyone else has been doing.
You might check the front of your battery compartment for damage. Because the PZ lipo is smaller than other 2200 lipos and slides in a bit easier, a hard landing (or flying into a chain link fence like I did once) could cause the battery to push through the foam at the front of the compartment. That could then allow the battery to slide further forward and pull up over the spar on an outside loop. After my fence mishap, I removed (what was left of) my cowl, CA'd the foam back in place and epoxied a short piece of popsicle stick in front of the battery compartment to strengthen it. It's an easy fix and, even if yours looks solid, is a good preventative measure for that eventual "hard landing". Here's a couple of pictures of the fix...
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:34 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
One additional note on the pictures above. You might notice that I only use one screw on each of the landing gear fairings, on the back side of each, to allow the fairings to flex more without cracking. Just another thing I've learned that can make a difference over time. It's the little things...
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
One additional note on the pictures above. You might notice that I only use one screw on each of the landing gear fairings, on the back side of each, to allow the fairings to flex more without cracking. Just another thing I've learned that can make a difference over time. It's the little things...
Our field is fairly rough and no one here runs the fairings at all. Landing gear works sooo much better on rough ground without the fairings or the wheel pants and with bigger tires.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Joined May 2010
2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
nice tip, thx mate

I'm using my spare PZ P47 wheels... no-where near as big in diameter as the BF109 wheels, but much larger than the 300 stock ones, works well and doesnt look bad

I use mt turnigy batts in other planes and not only did i have to remove all the velcro, but the sticky residue had to be removed as well- such a squeeze is the compartment, the first time I slid a Tgy 2200 batt in, I honestly didnt think i was going to get it back out in one piece lol
but pushed all the way fwd seems to give good cg
AussieHoppy is offline Find More Posts by AussieHoppy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back street quad cruisin'
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
United Kingdom, England, Uxbridge
Joined Jan 2012
897 Posts
i've stuck the wings servo wires out the way with masking tape and found the tape also helps my turnigy 2200s slide in and out much easier, also put a tape strap on them after reading it on here
glue hand brian is online now Find More Posts by glue hand brian
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:32 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
Nice spurt of recent posting activity. Good to get on the thread and see something other than what I wrote. Taping the servo wires out of the way and making the pull straps does help in battery removal. I found pulling up and then back helps also. New Ge-Force 2200 25c that came in last week was actually a tiny bit loose, but the 30c versions almost need lube to get in and out. Wind and rain here today so no joy for me. Keep the posts and pictures coming guys I truly live for it.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
I replaced the broken elevator clevis and glued the tail back on tonight and so she should be RTF for tomorrow, pending favorable winds.

After taking a closer look at the cockpit layout, it looks like it is too tight to relocate the tiedown strap. So what I did was cut a block of foam which fits in the compartment aft of the battery and can be held in place by the tiedown. Hopefully this will solve the problem of battery migration.

BTW, what is everyone using for transporting the plane around? With the ultra micros, the box works wonderfully. What's my best bet for the Extra?
CptnIncompetent is offline Find More Posts by CptnIncompetent
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
783 Posts
[QUOTE=CptnIncompetent;20518835
BTW, what is everyone using for transporting the plane around? With the ultra micros, the box works wonderfully. What's my best bet for the Extra?[/QUOTE]

In my case, its standing spinner down on back seat, kind of side ways sharing room with two other planes.

Rob
robusp is online now Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:13 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,155 Posts
Mine goes for a ride several days a week same as robusp nose down in the middle of the back seat. I did do one long road trip with the wings and V-stab and elevator removed and laying behind the headrests of the back seat. Way too lazy to try to get it back in the box.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,994 Posts
Mine stays rigged!

One wing will come off easy, the other is not too difficult but I'm the same - just stand it on the spinner with one wingtip on the seat.
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
3,994 Posts
I'm sure it came up in the PZ Spitfire IX thread that you can heat up these Zfoam models to take twists out.

My Fin and Rudder are a bit warped, only cosmetic damage it still flys good. If I was to heat it up and try straighten which side would be best? By that I mean do I heat up the side it is leaning towards or away from...
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LemonRx V3 stab in Parkzone Ka8