1,961 Posts
Those look professional man! Nice job!
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:20 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Thanks guys. They also extend a bit below the wingtips, which should help protect them on those less than perfect landings. Not that I've ever had one of those...
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:23 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflective1 View Post
Thought I would share the latest mod to my Extra. I've always wanted to add side force generators (SFGs) to see if they really help much in KE flight and, honestly, I kinda like the look!
They look awesome.
You'll see they'll help you also with harrier.
Another thing I noticed with mine is it allows me to slow the plane to a crawl before wing stall.

Let us know how you like them.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
Monument, CO
Joined May 2009
180 Posts
Thanks Rob. Hadn't thought about SFGs helping with slow flight. Can't tell you how many times I've stalled a wing pushing that envelope. Would also welcome a slower (and shorter) landing approach. Will be fun to test them out!
reflective1 is offline Find More Posts by reflective1
Old Jan 21, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
Had a few good flights during the snow this morning. I'm pretty new to RC, but from my perspective, I really love this plane.

My last flight today ended with the battery ejecting while doing an inverted loop. The timing of the ejection actually worked out reasonably well since it allowed the plane to coast down pretty slowly (albeit inverted) and land reasonably gently in ~6" of fresh snow. Don't worry - the battery, once recovered, was treated like a bomb while being transported to a nearby recycler.

My question to everyone here is what are you doing to tie down your batteries? With the battery properly positioned, there is a pretty good gap between the end of the battery and the velcro tiedown. Is everyone simply pulling up the tiedown, cutting out some foam further forward, and gluing it down in the new spot? Or is there a better option out there?
CptnIncompetent is offline Find More Posts by CptnIncompetent
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:51 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
I have Velcro on the bottoms of my batteries and more CA glued to the floor of the battery compartment. All of my current batteries fit snug but the E-Flite 2100 20c that recently died I had to snug the strap down and put a piece of electrical tape on the front top of the battery up over the spar and then down to the top rear. Never had one eject on the Extra but did have it happen on my first Stryker and dangle from the EC3 connectors.

reflective1,
Great job on the SFGs! Much nicer looking than the ones I made. They should make a good difference in KE and a decent improvement at reducing tip stall at low speed. Also as stated above they keep the wingtips from getting tore up too. I mounted mine with small plastic dry wall anchors and screws and washers. When used in conjunction with the flaperons I had setup and a 12x6 prop you could slow to a crawl without tip stalling. The only thing was if you did slow down too much it would drop like a brick. This bit me a few times on landing when my nice head wind of 5 mph or so turned into 0 mph while I was still 3-4 feet up. Oh God here I go again rambling on.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:13 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnIncompetent View Post

My question to everyone here is what are you doing to tie down your batteries? With the battery properly positioned, there is a pretty good gap between the end of the battery and the velcro tiedown. Is everyone simply pulling up the tiedown, cutting out some foam further forward, and gluing it down in the new spot? Or is there a better option out there?
Hi Captain,
I'm pretty confident that the consensus on battery placement is with the velcro strap on the body of the battery, about a 1/4" from the end of the battery. That's where I keep mine with a 3s 2100mah, and hits the CG nicely. Most of your battery is shoved forward down the battery channel, yeah?
Josh

EDIT: If you poke around the attachments in this thread a bit, you'll find plenty of gems, from 3 bladers & wing controversy, to crashes, floats & ...hey! is that Snoopy?
The pic with the batt is what I was suggesting as proper placement for non-3D aerobatic flying.
-J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jgalexander; Jan 22, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,511 Posts
Nice one, like it!!

You do need to put your pants back on though
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SilentPilot; Jan 22, 2012 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Replying to page 118, missed 119 :(
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Just back from 3 flights in a slight snow storm! Was dying to give new battery a flight and test the EMP 11x5.5 prop that came in the other day. First off the EMP was WAY out of balance out of the package. Had to sand the heavy side and add 6 pieces of clear tape to get it right. Seemed to have decent thrust but was noisy. Was going to get the 12x6 too and glad now I didn't. Nice looking with scimitar tips but I pulled it as soon as I got home. It is now in the flight box as a last resort prop if I bust all my others. Oh well I tried.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnIncompetent View Post
Had a few good flights during the snow this morning. I'm pretty new to RC, but from my perspective, I really love this plane.

My last flight today ended with the battery ejecting while doing an inverted loop. The timing of the ejection actually worked out reasonably well since it allowed the plane to coast down pretty slowly (albeit inverted) and land reasonably gently in ~6" of fresh snow. Don't worry - the battery, once recovered, was treated like a bomb while being transported to a nearby recycler.

Have you opened up the battery area somehow? I can't hardly pry my batteries out of this thing. They are so tight under the wing spar that I can't understand how they could fly out. Even if all the way forward, I have the strap around the wires behind the battery, so it can't slide back. What am I missing here, it's something I have never worried about with my Extra. Now I have something new to be concerned with.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Have you opened up the battery area somehow? I can't hardly pry my batteries out of this thing. They are so tight under the wing spar that I can't understand how they could fly out. Even if all the way forward, I have the strap around the wires behind the battery, so it can't slide back. What am I missing here, it's something I have never worried about with my Extra. Now I have something new to be concerned with.
Yeah, I thought that too...

The Extra has not had a flight since the rebuild but from what I remember it is a very cosy fit in there. I think I also wrap the strap over the wires around the back of the battery, it is so awkward to get to I dont have any worries about it coming loose in flight.

My Cularis on the other hand, that threw the battery out during an outside loop. Smashed the fuse to bits, way beyond repair, but the wings were unscathed!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
I haven't opened the battery area yet since I've only run the PZ batts and haven't tried the 1mm wider Turnigy I have waiting.

When I slide the battery fully forward, as prescribed in the updated manual, it passes fully forward of the wing spar. That leaves a gap between the aft end of the battery and the velcro tie-down. While I had been passing the wires through the tie-down, I believe the battery was able to migrate over the tie-down and then the excitement happened.

I will probably cut some space in the battery compartment and relocate the tie-down further forward, but I just want to see what everyone else has been doing.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
How many mah are your batteries, Cptn?

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Jun 2011
32 Posts
Whatever the stock battery that comes with the BNF version is - 2200mAh?

I also have a pair of Turnigy Nanotech 2200s, but haven't put them into the plane yet because they're a tiny bit wider (~1mm iirc) and I haven't had time to cut space for them.