SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:20 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPilot View Post
I finally settled on just painting all of the orange with a really sharp blue metallic that I found at the LHS yesterday - tested it on a spare cowling and really like the looks - once painted I will hit it with Valspar Polycrilic Gloss to protect it - I will post pics when complete - should be this weekend.
Looking forward to seeing your paintjob - sounds badass
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:10 AM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Hi guys,

Well I've read all the info here on the good, bad and ugly, I'm not too sure if the flat wing thigh is a real issue or not?

I fly pz 51, pz f4u, pz t-28 and pz habu... Can handle all these fine... I'd like to try the extra out as I'm maxing out all the D3 flight I can from my hotted up P-51....

I've been very happy with all my PZ birds and I'm suprised the amount of not so happy pilots here and some even turning wings upside down to fix it ???? Wow!

So if I can fly quite well and understand that the extra needs a bit of speed on landing, would I be happy? Just looking for a good first 3D first bird!

Wot guy guys think?

Thanks Chris
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydoc View Post
Hi guys,

Well I've read all the info here on the good, bad and ugly, I'm not too sure if the flat wing thigh is a real issue or not?

I fly pz 51, pz f4u, pz t-28 and pz habu... Can handle all these fine... I'd like to try the extra out as I'm maxing out all the D3 flight I can from my hotted up P-51....

I've been very happy with all my PZ birds and I'm suprised the amount of not so happy pilots here and some even turning wings upside down to fix it ???? Wow!

So if I can fly quite well and understand that the extra needs a bit of speed on landing, would I be happy? Just looking for a good first 3D first bird!

Wot guy guys think?

Thanks Chris
Chris, the Extra is NOT a 3D plane, it can hover and Harrier with some effort but its' power loading and wing loading are too high to be a good 3D platform. It flies regualr IAC style aerobatics very well, Spackles94 recently completed a pretty fair and balanced review.

For comparison, the Extra is my 2nd plane, first was a PZ T-28. I had about 300 flights on the Trojan when I got the Extra. I read about the wings and such, and I have never had any problem with the wing although it certainly is flat topped for the outer several inches. I have never flipped the wings and don't plan too - in fact, it is down for paint as we speak and will be flying again this weekend in a new color scheme.

I can fly slow, fast, whatever. I can fly right-side up, inverted, whatever. It will fly basic aero manuevers, or advanced maneuvers (Lomcevaks, precision rolls, etc.). It knife-edges very well, does inside and outside maneuvers, has plenty of power, cuts a great vertical line with a 12x6 or 11x7.5 prop.

It really is a great all-around sport/aerobatic plane in my opinion - but don't buy it expecting it to 3D like an AJ Slick from 3DHS, or one of the Great Planes Extras - it is just not the same thing.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalexander View Post
Looking forward to seeing your paintjob - sounds badass
Thanks! First coats are down on the canopy, cowling and right wing. Left wing and fuselage are taped up and ready for paint this afternoon.

The color is Arctic Blue Metallic, it is a foam safe Testors color I think, 3 of the 3oz cans to complete is my estimate. I spent the time and taped over the existing silver paint, the purple and white flag decals, the Extra 300 logos, and all of the white on the plane. I will replace the silver pin stripe tape between the two colors where possible.

It will have a much higher contrast than before, should be good for orientation, just darker than the original - but that international rescue orange is definitely hard to miss.

I think it is going to look pretty good. Pics should be available tomorrow.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:10 PM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Thanks gimpy.. Yes I understand it's not a full on 3d machine, but should make a good start towards 3D stuff hey?

Really amazing the trouble some people have gone to fixing the flat wing problems, cutting wing and putting in tooth picks! I'm impressed! But makes me just wonder how big a problem it is? If not a full on 3d machine, is it a big issue? Hard to know, no one around here has one...COG and battery location seems to be important but..... So to find out? $320 for bnf I guess!

Thanks again

Chris
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydoc View Post
Thanks gimpy.. Yes I understand it's not a full on 3d machine, but should make a good start towards 3D stuff hey?

Really amazing the trouble some people have gone to fixing the flat wing problems, cutting wing and putting in tooth picks! I'm impressed! But makes me just wonder how big a problem it is? If not a full on 3d machine, is it a big issue? Hard to know, no one around here has one...COG and battery location seems to be important but..... So to find out? $320 for bnf I guess!

Thanks again

Chris
I did mine PNP, added an AR500 Rx and put it together according to the manual. CG is the single biggest issue for this plane IMO. For entry level 3D I can't say because I am not a 3D pilot. I have hovered it with effort, and will be working on Harriers soon to the extent the plane will do it, so yeah, maybe not a bad place to start although I would use one of the big light foamies if I were serious about 3D since those things are almost indestructible and have mad controllability and stupid power-to-weight ratios.

I did nothing to the wing, zero, nada - did not flip it and I have no issues. I do fly it slow, and I deadstick nearly all of my landings with limited rollouts. The plane is completely non self-correcting but I have not found any bad habits. I do get some coupling on the knife-edge but that too is CG related.

I have not regretted the purchase for a second, and I am bummed that I was unable to finish my paint job in one day since I will now not get to fly until tomorrow.

Pick up an APC 11x7.5 prop and a 12x6 - they are much better than the stock prop if you want thrust rather than speed.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:37 PM
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Top suff gimpy, thanks

Chris
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Can't believe I am the first to post a custom paint scheme for the PZ Extra 300.

After some debate, I basically just covered the orange with Model Master Arctic Blue Metallic. I also painted the APC 12x6e with Model Master Brilliant Black.

As with the other PZ planes, even low-tack blue painters tape will pull up the underlying paint, so I had to repaint the silver as well (Testors 1146 Silver Enamel is close but will need to totally cover, not quite a perfect match but much prettier than the stock silver IMO). Left the PZ stickers on.

I am pretty satisfied, it is a good 3 foot paint job. I have not reweighed but I used 1/4 of the 1 oz silver paint, and 2 3 oz spray cans of the Arctic Blue Metallic.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:30 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,656 Posts
hmm that colour screams orientation loss on a blue sky to me...looks good tho
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Just finished post paint re-maiden and all is well. Orientation was not an issue, there is more than enough contrast as well as variation top to bottom but it was something I had not really considered.

Plane looked great in the air and there was no noticeable change in weight or cg.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:21 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPilot View Post
Just finished post paint re-maiden and all is well. Orientation was not an issue, there is more than enough contrast as well as variation top to bottom but it was something I had not really considered.

Plane looked great in the air and there was no noticeable change in weight or cg.
Congrats - glad to hear it went well!
-J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:48 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Thanks guys. I'd say I have 4 maybe 5 hours in it tops - most of that being taping of course. The colors look great in the sun and it is nice to not look like all the other Extra's at the field. There were 2 other Extra's in the pits when I got out this afternoon for the re-maiden.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Put another half dozen flights on the Extra after paint - still loving it. New color looks great with the plane on the KE, now if the guy on the sticks could just track a straight line. Got some nice comments/compliments from the guys on the field - definitely not the same as the others now.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:36 AM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,427 Posts
Alright guys, I went and bought the PZ extra 300 today. I somehow managed to miss all this wing stuff. Then found it a couple hours ago and have been regretting the purchase, thankfully I have found this thread and have a bit more hope, but I can't figure it out. I've looked all over these wings and can't find some plainly obvious flat spot. So I'm going to post a pic. I mean it's not perfectly symmetrical, it's as perfectly symmetrical as I would expect foam to be. Kinda looking forward to seeing her fly. I currently have a super stick with the servos set to furthers out holes and control horns at closest holes. Also the DX6i travel is at 125% Kinda wondering how intimidated I should be by my third plane here. (UM P-51 doesn't count)

Hopefully someone can tell me what I'm looking for on my wing picture here
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:57 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,024 Posts
Actually that wing looks really nice.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K