SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:24 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,755 Posts
I'm here!!

Thinking about putting winglets on my Extra. The tips are a bit scuffed now so the best thing may be to disguise it with some SFGs/winglets
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:32 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,985 Posts
Praise for the Extra

Just a note in praise of the Extra. I've done a number of "firsts" for me with it, including 4-point rolls, inverted flat spins, and extended harriers with something larger than a micro. I've stuck it in the tops of oak trees twice, including once when the ESC caught fire (!) and scorched the inside of the fuselage. I've crashed it twice when wing repairs pulled loose. Thanks to spare parts and lots of glue and tape it's still going (and fast!), and it's gotten me to the edge of learning 3D. Great plane!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
Thanks guys for posting. I was getting worried. Silent you will like the SFG/Winglets they do help flight and do a great job of covering up chewed wingtips and preventing further damage too. Ask me how I know.
Grady my Extra is I believe my only aircraft not to get stuck in a tree so far. LOL I did kind of bounce off of a pine tree but managed to keep it flying. Same tree stole my XP 2 different times and my Frankenstryker once. Took days to get all the pine sap off of me each time.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,985 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Thanks guys for posting. I was getting worried. Silent you will like the SFG/Winglets they do help flight and do a great job of covering up chewed wingtips and preventing further damage too. Ask me how I know.
Grady my Extra is I believe my only aircraft not to get stuck in a tree so far. LOL I did kind of bounce off of a pine tree but managed to keep it flying. Same tree stole my XP 2 different times and my Frankenstryker once. Took days to get all the pine sap off of me each time.
The second time I bought one of those telescoping fiberglass rods used to run cable to use in getting planes out of trees, and stuck it in my trunk. It paid for itself the first weekend.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:32 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
last week while coming in for a landing a slip of the fingers nosed me in from about 4 feet high. (slipped off stick applying a little up elevator then bumped down elevator afterwards lol) broke the motor was the only damage so now I get to try out the bigfoot tacon 15 that has been sitting around. Dont know what to do as far as getting a longer prop adapter so I can put my cowl back on but I will just fly it without.

300 hasnt seen much action since I got my 3dhs 42" aj slick though.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:29 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
Dave the Custom RCParts mount for the Extra with a Power 15 is longer than the stock one, that may solve the problem. Hope it does cause that is one I am considering trying too. Another solution might be spacers and longer mounting screws either between the mount and firewall or the mount and motor. My friend who sold me my first Extra busted his 3DHS 41" Edge and replaced it with the 42" AJ Slick and loves it.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:00 AM
United States, CA, Morongo Valley
Joined Apr 2010
54 Posts
Well, guys. I've had 3 stall tips in turns that resulted in spirals of death. As good as the previous advice on how to to get it out of a stall may have been, they all happened so fast there wasn't much I could do. Definitely gonna fly it highter and faster - lol.

I can vouch for this thing being tough as nails. The depron on the wing tips sure saved them - all 3 times. 2 of these crashes were back to back on the same pack with just replacing the prop. That is a tough plane. It will fly again once I get a replacement cowl.

I do have a 3DHS AJ 42 on its way, too heheheh
heli-on is offline Find More Posts by heli-on
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Oct 2010
6 Posts
After 379 logged flights my PZ Extra 300 met its end - sadly, pilot error.

Parts will be transplanted into a new fuse and wings.
disc oriented is offline Find More Posts by disc oriented
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:01 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
379 flights Wow! Probably time for some new body parts anyway. How many motors have you been through? I have 56 flights on my original which was very much used when I bought it. My second Extra has 80 flights on it. I have had 2 motors partly seperate in flight one of which only had 5 flights on it and I bent the shaft on a 3rd motor doing something stupid.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:31 PM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Should I be keeping track of flights? I can't even keep track of my real flight hours!
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:06 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
lol i don't even try and keep track of my flights. I average around 20 pack a (nonwindy)day when i'm home from work....... no sense in messing with that LOL!

i must say though for all the flights i have on the extra this thing has held up beyond my expectation. It would still be 100% stock had i not nosed it in the other day and that is with well over 200 flights now and probably 175 rough landings

heli-on u will love the slick. there is no such thing as a tip stall with that airplane.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
hey marco thanks for showing me that mount looks like itll fit perfect!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:59 PM
United States, CA, Morongo Valley
Joined Apr 2010
54 Posts
Thanks Dave, that brought a smile and sigh of relief - lol.

I have a 68" seagull Edge 540 that I'm trying to get the hang of. I've had only a single stall on that plane. Crashed a few others for various other reasons. The Extra has paid for itself many times over in saving the Edge from going in. It's a sweet plane, but heavy from doing E-Conversion and adding a sound module. I'm hoping the Extra to boost my confidence, not shatter it like it has. They fly pretty similar, believe it or not.
heli-on is offline Find More Posts by heli-on
Old Nov 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-on View Post
Thanks Dave, that brought a smile and sigh of relief - lol.

I have a 68" seagull Edge 540 that I'm trying to get the hang of. I've had only a single stall on that plane. Crashed a few others for various other reasons. The Extra has paid for itself many times over in saving the Edge from going in. It's a sweet plane, but heavy from doing E-Conversion and adding a sound module. I'm hoping the Extra to boost my confidence, not shatter it like it has. They fly pretty similar, believe it or not.

The slick will fly nothing like the extra. the extra falls and the slick floats. I get bored waiting on the slick to come to the ground during landing.

With the extra when u lose a hover it falls like 15-20 feet in a second and the slick just noses over one way or the other and doesn't lose an inch of altitude. I do have trouble landing the slick but only because I never learned to do a proper landing I have only landed belly landers and the extra. Slick comes in nice and slow. As far as flying goes the slick is the easiest plane to fly I have ever had. It just loves to stay in the air. You will love it! If you have any questions with setup just send me a PM and I can help you out. it goes together pretty quickly and easily. Do yourself a favor and download the directions from their website now and go ahead and read through them. Do yourself an even bigger favor and watch these 4 build videos.
3D Hobby Shop 42" AJ Slick Build Video #1 (6 min 35 sec)
If for some reason that link doesn't work you can go to page 1255 of the 42" aj slick thread in 3d flying forum and find the link there.

EDIT, ok, looks like it worked just click the link at the top of the video to go to his video archive page and you can find the other videos there.

ok sorry guys back to extra talk!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 02:43 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,157 Posts
Dave glad to help. The Custom RCParts stuff is great quality, you should like it.
Steve sorry about my anal flight logging. I got into the habit when I flew Helicopters so I could have a rough idea of when I needed to change dampers and belts and such. I kept on logging when I switched to fixed wings a year and a half ago so as to get an idea of what kind of life I was getting out of the crappy brushed motors in my UM T-28, SU-26xp and the only heli I still regularly fly my mSR. It has been useful with the Extra because of the issues myself and some others have had with stock motors coming apart in mid air. Plus I kind of like data. Anyway how is the FPV coming along?