Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:33 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
SilentPilot
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a spin begin with a stall?
Yes and no!

It can do but the best (worst if you like) spin I've ever been in, and it was intentional at height, was from about 5kts above stall speed. As you slow down boot in full rudder. The inside wing stalls and the outside wing creates lift throwing you over. Trying to pick the wing up with Aileron makes things better sorry, worse!

Like I said though, it just tickled me, that's all. The important thing is to recognise what is happening and react accordingly.
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:35 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
DaxFX,
Per your request.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Custom RCParts lists the following Turnigy motors as being compatable with their mount for the Extra 300

Turnigy SK3548-900
Turnigy SK3548-1100
Turnigy C3548-800
Turnigy C3548-900
Turnigy C3548-1100

http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...products_id=57

I hope that helps and if you go that route please let us know how it works out for you.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
Old Nov 07, 2011, 08:48 AM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Yes and no!

It can do but the best (worst if you like) spin I've ever been in, and it was intentional at height, was from about 5kts above stall speed. As you slow down boot in full rudder. The inside wing stalls and the outside wing creates lift throwing you over. Trying to pick the wing up with Aileron makes things better sorry, worse!

Like I said though, it just tickled me, that's all. The important thing is to recognise what is happening and react accordingly.
What do you mean "yes and no"? It's always yes. Ask yourself this question, at what speed does your glider, or any airplane stall? The answer is not the posted stall speed, it's any speed!

An airplane can and will stall at any speed. I stalled the Extra not because I was too slow, but because I pulled too hard for the speed.

But I'm sure you knew this, just maybe forgot?
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
Old Nov 07, 2011, 09:08 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts
An aircraft stalls due to excess angle of attack. Most of the time this is due to lack of speed but it could also be High G breaking the airflow...

I was trying to demonstrate that slow flight with over use of the Rudder could cause one wing to stall before the other therfore making a spin.

Maybe I'm not expressing myself correctly, it's hard to do in text.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:00 PM
United States, NC, Huntersville
Joined Feb 2009
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
An aircraft stalls due to excess angle of attack. Most of the time this is due to lack of speed but it could also be High G breaking the airflow...

I was trying to demonstrate that slow flight with over use of the Rudder could cause one wing to stall before the other therfore making a spin.

Maybe I'm not expressing myself correctly, it's hard to do in text.
I understand, but your example is not complete. You can spin with no rudder input. Yes, slow, high angle of attack, uncoordinated flight can cause a spin, and usually will. That's the intentional way to spin. But in a turn, at relatively high speed, a crank on the elevator can cause a stall. And because one wing is going slower than the other, the inside wing stalls while the outside wing keeps flying, aka, spin. And that's what happens the majority of the time with this little plane. The problem isn't the design of the wing, it's that it actually flies like a scale plane, and that's why I like it so much.
Steve91t is offline Find More Posts by Steve91t
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:03 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Why not just take the gear fairings and wheel pants off? Take off weight instead of adding it.
It ripped out like that landing on hard packed and smooth gravel, not grass. The factory "glue" bonded in like two places and deformed a lot of foam when it ripped out. I couldn't hold it up by the gear even after gluing it back in the first time without the gear pulling partially out of the fuselage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
Just remember, something has to give.
If you make landing gear mount too strong, you'll brake the fuse.

Rob
I agree, but IMO this isn't any stiffer than gluing it back in with gorilla glue and taping it all up. It just looks cleaner to me. The gear wire still has a lot of give too. The big problem I was facing was how deformed the foam was after the first time it ripped out.

If the wind ever dies down I'll get it out for some test taxiing and a flight to see how it holds up.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:23 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
DaxFX,
Per your request.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Custom RCParts lists the following Turnigy motors as being compatable with their mount for the Extra 300

Turnigy SK3548-900
Turnigy SK3548-1100
Turnigy C3548-800
Turnigy C3548-900
Turnigy C3548-1100

http://www.customrcparts.com/index.p...products_id=57

I hope that helps and if you go that route please let us know how it works out for you.
Exelent info just what i meed, i willi let you which way I will go and the end results
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:19 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2011
22 Posts
Speaking of stalls, my new favourite way to fly this plane is inverted 3ft off the deck as slow as I canand try and bring it around only using rudder.

I got a little cocky today and attempted to pull out of a very low pass vertically. Pulled a little hard on the elevator and hit the rear stabiliser on the concrete ripping it off and taking the rudder with it.

So my top tip of the day is, yes this plane can fly without a rear stabilser, but its not reccomended. Infact it flew so well I finished off the pack before bringing it in.

Some medium CA and some baking soda later and it was back in the air less than 2min flying like new.
Olie1584 is offline Find More Posts by Olie1584
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:35 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,776 Posts
I flew my Radian Pro without a rudder following a mid air collision with my Dad. That thing has a huge wing and virtually all of the vertical stab is rudder (even more so than the Extra) but when it landed with no issues I just moved the battery pack back a bit and carried on ridge soaring for about another 30mins without a rudder...

They must be so overrated!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:05 AM
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Improving the top of the Parkzone Extra 300 wing

Wing Help Request

Has anyone tried to fix the flat area on top of the Extra 300 wing. I have thought of gluing long strips (of varying thickness) of balsa along the top of wing and then glue on .4 mm flexible plywood sheet or very thin balsa sheet to restore the airfoil shape on the top of the wing. It would have to be carefully done with a good eye keeping in mind where the top of the chord should be along the length of the wing.

Any other ideas out there ??

Thanks

Creative RC
Creative RC is offline Find More Posts by Creative RC
Old Nov 08, 2011, 06:50 AM
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Interesting, so you flattened the bottom of the wing to match the flat area on top of the wing. Is that correct and it worked ? If so that was inovative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomojato View Post
picked up a pz extra a couple days ago and found it to be ok but after checking some measurements on the wings with a straight edge I solved MY airfoil problem by heating and reforming the outer three inches of the bottom of the wing with my teflon coated monocoat iron so the top has the same profile as the bottom.
it flies just fine now at all speeds.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:20 AM
Joined Sep 2010
4,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative RC View Post
Wing Help Request

Has anyone tried to fix the flat area on top of the Extra 300 wing. I have thought of gluing long strips (of varying thickness) of balsa along the top of wing and then glue on .4 mm flexible plywood sheet or very thin balsa sheet to restore the airfoil shape on the top of the wing. It would have to be carefully done with a good eye keeping in mind where the top of the chord should be along the length of the wing.

Any other ideas out there ??

Thanks

Creative RC
if it's giving you problems or you just have to have it fixed, why not just pick up a new wing. They have fixed it now.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:34 AM
Canada, NB, Moncton
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Another set of wings instead of repairing

Thanks bobly, I was unaware they had corrected the flat area on the top of the wing. Horizon Hobby is out of stock at the moment, so I will order now for when they get a new batch.

Thanks for the info.

Creative RC
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:56 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Here we go again. Well it has been a few days.
Did my usual 5 batteries worth of flying yesterday. The first 2 were spent testing the repairs from my dumb thumbs crash from Sunday. All was well so the next 3 I pushed it a bit, KE loops and Hi Rate snaps even a few intentional spins since that has been a topic of debate recently. All still good, on the last landing I bounced a bit but no big deal the tail stayed down and I didn't scratch up the new cowling. When I taxied back and stopped I noticed a sag in the middle of the fuselage right behind the wings. Closer examination revealed the Fuselage was broken from the back of each wing pocket down and all the way across the bottom. I had cracked it in the same spot way back on flight 5 when the new motor separated. At that time I Super Glued it back together and put 5 thin strips of cellophane tape on it to hold it together until the glue dried. Good thing I left those little pieces of tape on there because that was the only thing holding the fuselage together at the end of flight 5 yesterday. My crash Sunday must have at least partly rebroke the old damage and the snaps and one crappy landing did the rest. Reglued with hot glue when I got home and added some more cheap tape over that. Also made a slightly bigger set of Winglets and installed those. 76 flights total on this Extra hope for more later today.
Did 4 flights early this afternoon on the fixed again Extra. Hot glue is a wonderful thing. It tracked and flew as good as new. My new winglets made from $Tree foamboard are slightly taller than the last ones I made and are working very well I did the tightest KE loop yet today. On the down side I think my motor has a slightly bent shaft. At low power there is a vibration and noise that was not there before. At half throttle and above the noise and vibration disappear. I checked the balance on the prop and spinner and all was good. Replaced the prop adapter with a new one and still the same thing. Checked the motor to mount screws and the mount to firewall screws and all were still nice and tight. Guess it has to be the motor shaft? Looks like I am going to be trying one of those cheaper alternatives sooner than I thought. I should send all 4 of these stock motors I have lying around back to HH and see if they can make me one good one out of them.
Last edited by MARCOELDRAGON; Nov 08, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: More info 2
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:36 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,171 Posts
Ah crap I killed the thread again! Well I did 3 batteries on my Frankenstryker and 2 on the Extra yesterday. Nice to take them both out and mix it up a bit and get the best of both worlds. Gives motors and ESCs a chance to cool switching back and forth like that. I just need more batteries to keep it going longer. Hoping to elicit some kind of reply from out there.