SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:53 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Dave it can't be done with an AR500. I tried it about 10 different ways and watched some videos on YT. You need 6 channels to do it correctly. The AR500 looks like you can do it because of the aux channel but it has some sort of internal Y harness that will not let it work. I had to use my AR 6100e to get it right, then just for giggles I tried it with my HK Orange 6 channel and it worked just fine so I left it that way.
MARCOELDRAGON is offline Find More Posts by MARCOELDRAGON
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:08 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,666 Posts
I've done some experimenting now with my Mozzie and the DX6i (dont disregard what Marko said above because it does not use the AR500) with some interesting results!

In the Travel Adjust screen you can set the flap (in reality, the left aileron) with the stick over at each end which means you can limmit movement. I presume that if you did the same for the Aileron channel you would be able to limmit the right aileron movement. Therefore it may be worth a quick check to ensure all are set to 100%. Move the stick fully left then fully right and check both aileron and flap settings for both directions.
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:45 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
thanks for the help guys

Marco,
I read over and over again that you MUST have a 6 ch rx and it just never clicked in my head that an AR500 is a 5 channel radio. wow what a waste of an hour LOL
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Oct 31, 2011, 12:58 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,666 Posts
D'oh!!
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
Dave,
At least you only wasted and hour. I tried off and on for days. There is some conflicting info out there. Did some more testing today of the flaperons and winglets. This really works for me. Of the two I think my meat tray winglets may actually make more of a difference than the flaperons. Almost have all my parts for the rebuild of my original Extra. Only thing I still need is a motor and I have not decided on which cheap one to try. I would like a real E-Flite Power 15 but refuse to pay that much. Have a new body for my much abused (but still flying) Custom Stryker to install. Also getting started on a scratch built EDF flying wing. Too many projects and not enough time or money.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 10:44 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,919 Posts
Just got mine a couple weeks ago, and have ripped the gear out on both flights. I glued it in after the first flight with some gorilla glue, and it just came right back out on the second flight. First flight was on grass, second was on a very hard/smooth ball diamond infield.

I've got some templates drawn up for some lite-ply reinforcements, basically two lengthwise rails 5" long spread 2" apart with cross pieces that sandwich the vertical piece of the original plastic gear mount.

Just have to pick up some 1/8" ply and get cutting!

It might be a bit of overkill, but I fly off grass 99% of the time, so I want it to last!

Has anyone else gone to such extreme measures to fix their gear?
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:58 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCOELDRAGON View Post
Dave,
At least you only wasted and hour. I tried off and on for days. There is some conflicting info out there. Did some more testing today of the flaperons and winglets. This really works for me. Of the two I think my meat tray winglets may actually make more of a difference than the flaperons. Almost have all my parts for the rebuild of my original Extra. Only thing I still need is a motor and I have not decided on which cheap one to try. I would like a real E-Flite Power 15 but refuse to pay that much. Have a new body for my much abused (but still flying) Custom Stryker to install. Also getting started on a scratch built EDF flying wing. Too many projects and not enough time or money.
Marco,
Check out the tacon line of motors from hobbypartz. I have 3 of their motors and they're carbon copies of the eflites ones, except (i believe) the windings are a little beefier. Best part, $20.90.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m602-big...826-950kv.html
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:03 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

I glued my landing gear plate in with GG and then glued the landing gear wire into the slot with lots of hot glue. I don't have the landing gear fairings on.
So, my landing gear wire can flex up and down on landing. The wire as a spring works well and there is no interference with the gear fairings since these are gone. Also, I have PZ BF109G 3" foam wheels on. Since these changes--my landing gear hasn't budged at all for dirt/gravel/grass landings.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:20 AM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
See page 87 and post 1291 for a picture of what I did to keep the gear plug in. Gorilla Glue, hot glue and colored duct tape. I have made some incredibly bad landings since then and it has not budged at all.

jgalexander,
Yes I am considering that one and the following.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...motor_class=85
I have a working stock motor too that has a tiny wobble I could just change the shaft if I could figure out how to take it apart without ruining it.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:58 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
hey marco I have a tacon big foot from hobbypartz and it appears to be very good quality. I have hooked it up and ran it but never flown it. For the price I would say you can't go wrong trying one out!
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
Just got mine a couple weeks ago, and have ripped the gear out on both flights. I glued it in after the first flight with some gorilla glue, and it just came right back out on the second flight. First flight was on grass, second was on a very hard/smooth ball diamond infield.

I've got some templates drawn up for some lite-ply reinforcements, basically two lengthwise rails 5" long spread 2" apart with cross pieces that sandwich the vertical piece of the original plastic gear mount.

Just have to pick up some 1/8" ply and get cutting!

It might be a bit of overkill, but I fly off grass 99% of the time, so I want it to last!

I have had no problems with my gear at all. I always fly off grass and field is not very smooth. I did take the gear fairings and wheel pants off and put messerschmidt 3" wheels on it from the start. It is the first tail dragger I ever had and I have only been flying for a few months, but the Extra is the easiest thing to land I ever had and seems to put no strain at all on the gear mounting. I make sure I fly it in all the way and make sure to not put in up elevator so it won't plop down on the gear though. Horizon recommends taking the gear fairings and pants off for grass and rough fields and the 3" wheels really smooth things out. I have seen several guys break the gear out, but they all had the gear struts and wheel pants on and flaired it before touching down so it droped the last foot or so when they broke the gear out.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:26 PM
Fly Naked !
Waynesboro VA USA
Joined Dec 2010
1,156 Posts
bobly,
Congrats on your grass landings and the fact that you may be the only person with more than a few flights who has not knocked the gear plug out. I have on both of mine and probably will with the new body on the original when it gets in the air again. I know what my problem is, I keep trying to see how slow I can touch down. I get it right for 4 out of 5 landings then on 1 out of 5 I stall about a foot or 2 up and slam down on the pavement. The main place I fly has nice paved roads but the ground is rocky and uneven and there is no grass just mowed weeds, the place near my house I fly my Stryker and UM's at the grass is nice but it is on a 15 degree or more slope and surrounded by trees and houses.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 05:00 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have about 30 flight on mine and have not knocked out the LG yet either - 3" wheels, no struts or spats - gear bent slightly forward - piece of foam glued into the LG slot to help hold in the LG - no really hard landings

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,036 Posts
I have no big hopes of never breaking the gear or any other part of my extra. I'm no where near good enough to think that about any of my planes. The extra is in jeopardy for sure as it inspires me to try new things that I'm not sure I'm ready for. It's the first plane I did a KE with and now can't get enough of them. I am pretty well convinced that the new style wing makes some of the difference. Most here don't seem to think so, but of the guys I fly most with, two of them have been flying he Extra for about a year now and based on my experiences and trying my plane, they are both getting a new set of wings for theirs and putting the messerschmidt wheels on (I got the wheel idea off this forum). One of them is the blame for my addiction, he took me under his wing late last year when I started and put me up with a buddy box, then tutored me through to this point. Any time I feel ready to try something new, he's my go to for advice. I'm not a fast learner for sure, he has lots of patience.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:08 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well if you can fly the Extra with reasonable competence, you aren't a slow learner either, that's for sure.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde