Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 24, 2010, 11:02 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnbuPunk View Post
it would be nice to see the plane better. but they look like they just drop out of the air like 4 feet above the ground.
i suspect magic.. pretty sure i seen some fairy dust.
or maybe he's just a good pilot and he had some good wind
...or maybe, with the right CG and enough practice..this "problem" begins to become alot less of an issue. If the CG is too far back and you rotate the nose and flare too early (stall potential), yup there could be a problem....with little lift it will drop like a stone.

I suspect what happened is, the PZ designers underestimated the amount of sensitivity to CG at landing...a condition which could cause problems for more junior pilots (ie. less then a few years experience).

On this plane, incorrect wing shape/cross section due to a manufacturing flaw would effect the plane much more during normal flight at speed then during landing. A CG issue during (slow speed) landing could create a pitch up attitude...with a then quick reduction in the remaining lift...resulting in a "drop like a stone" landing.

This might be what some people are seeing...

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Last edited by boiko; Aug 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
zoom-zoom
middle village queens,ny
Joined Nov 2000
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
I found this video on YouTube and posted it to the ATTF thread, but thought this might be a better location for it.
----------------------------
During the last ATTF show it was brought up that people are complaining that the new Parkzone Extra 300 is tough to land because of a design/manufacturing flaw in the wing - lack of curvature on top.

Here's an interesting video of someone landing the Extra 300..many,many..many times with little or no problems at all....go figure. Either this guy is using some type of magic..or he's setup his CG/Throws correctly and knows how to fly.

Watch the video..you decide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpdI7Sxe4uQ

Enjoy..
-mike-

Watched the video,good pilot. Enjoyed the dog chasing the 300 Extra.
frank fontana is offline Find More Posts by frank fontana
Old Aug 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Put four more packs through the Extra yesterday - I like the Power 15 and 12x6 APC combo - it just took me a while to adjust - takeoff is about 3-4 plane lengths and then a rolling vertical departure - puts a huge smile on my face every time.

Total flights is now 32. I thought the landing gear looked a little shaky when I took off on the fourth flight last night but chalked it up to my imagination - I was wrong. Final landing for the night came down on a softer dirt portion of the runway and the mains tore out.

Lesson learned - when folks suggest removing the bracket and GG or epoxying it in - just do it. Minor ding on the bottom of the left wing and lots of dirt in the motor and throughout the fuselage - that air scoop on the front of the cowling acts like a bulldozer blade - can't believe how much dirt was inside the fuselage.

Will make repairs over the next couple days - and might take it out of service long enough for a paint job if I can settle on a scheme. The recently EASA certified Extra 300LT that was just in AOPA magazine had a hot scheme (http://www.extraaircraft.com/aerobatic/ex330lt.php) - and I still like Besenyei's 300SR scheme but I think I will go with something original with lots of contrast - maybe a faux airshow performer scheme.

Noticed a little coupling on my knife-edges yesterday, making a right to left pass on KE it coupled towards the gear. I don't remember that being as pronounced before the motor/prop swap, but it could be my imagination.

All in all, still loving the plane, made some low and slow passes down the runway at a jogging pace with a light headwind - steady as a rock.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:46 PM
NTX Helidillos
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Sep 2009
1,416 Posts
Ok i put 2 packs through mine this morning... not sure why i was scared it flies very well! I did put BF109 wheels on it to help with the grass we have around here.

Very fun and fast plane. Only tried it on low rates but was able to do some high alpha hovering into the wind and a few KE without any issues. Landing into the wind was very easy just came in at a nice angle and it just sets down and stops.
tonkajeep34 is online now Find More Posts by tonkajeep34
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dipped Taranis - Take 2
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:49 AM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Flew the Extra on Saturday, 6 flights after the landing gear repair (GG and water - works great). Still puts a big grin on my face every time it leaps into the air. Still noticing some coupling towards the wheels on KE but I have the trims dialed in - the Power 15 and 12x6 APC combo is great although the 11x7.5 APC was a little faster.

I have still not seen a snap except when I want it to, it does drop a wing in the stall but not violently, at least not with a controlled rate of deceleration and careful on the sticks.

Fly it with respect and it will not bite, like most planes.

I am thinking now that I will just paint over the orange with a metallic blue and create some custom decals - there are too many at the field and it can get confusing - I would say that about 2/3 of the guys flying, including myself, have kept the wings stock, the other third have flipped them - and everybody seems happy.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:18 PM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,793 Posts
I have just ran two packs through the Extra today, and im a happy owner!!. It was its madien flight today and was very nice but a little twitchy! I havent really flown anything that flies like this before I cant discribe it, but its not like my old Precision Aerobatics Extra.

I need a bigger prop for prop hanging to make more air flow over the ailerons. does anyone have any suggestions for what prop size i should go for?
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:08 PM
WHAT U LOOKIN AT!
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Joined Dec 2005
2,646 Posts
yeah have a read of all the 300 threads, heaps of discussion on props, some likw 11x5, 11x6,11x7, 12x6, 12.5.5
jaskel is offline Find More Posts by jaskel
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:35 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Wilit,

I have run the stock prop, APC 11x7.5 and APC 12x6. I think the 11x7.5 is a good compromise prop, the plane is a bit faster, but it flies good and has lots of thrust with the 12x6.

I really want to figure out a 3 blade for scale looks, maybe a MAS but not sure about size/pitch.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:45 PM
Muscle Shoals, Al.
Joined Oct 2004
313 Posts
Flew mine today for the first time and love it. It was a little slow for my taste with the stock setup so I plane on putting a power 15 on it tomorrow and trying it again. Very stable and smooth flying plane for out of the box stock though.
kissfan is online now Find More Posts by kissfan
Old Sep 01, 2010, 07:50 AM
No such thing as overpowered
Suffolk, England
Joined Sep 2008
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPilot View Post
Wilit,

I have run the stock prop, APC 11x7.5 and APC 12x6. I think the 11x7.5 is a good compromise prop, the plane is a bit faster, but it flies good and has lots of thrust with the 12x6.

I really want to figure out a 3 blade for scale looks, maybe a MAS but not sure about size/pitch.
Thanks Jaskel and GimpyPilot i shall see if i can get my hands on an 11"x around 7" and maybe try a 12"

Yes a three blade would be nice! in white with the red tips.
Wilit run? 353 is offline Find More Posts by Wilit run? 353
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:47 PM
Missing you too FB!
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,358 Posts
Hi, my name is Greg and I love my PZ Extra 300!!!!!
Bakkie is offline Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:39 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Approaching 70 flights on the Extra now - I have moved into practice for the IMAC Basic sequence.

Knife edge turns and climbs, sloooooow rolls, sharktooth, spins, humpty bumps, outside turns - it just keeps getting better every day, more comfortable with it all the time.

Deadsticking all the landings now - I think it is battery placement. One of the guys at the field flies with his battery all the way forward (just cables under the velcro strap) where I fly mine showing 3/8" battery aft of the strap - I KE easier and can deadstick it, he has a hard time on KE and says he can not comfortably deadstick.

Anyway, I remain a very happy Extra owner/pilot - love flying it - getting 2 to 5 flights every day.
Last edited by GimpyPilot; Sep 08, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:41 AM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyPilot View Post
Approaching 70 flights on the Extra now - I have moved into practice for the IMAC Basic sequence.

Knife edge turns and climbs, sloooooow rolls, sharktooth, spins, humpty bumps, outside turns - it just keeps getting better every day, more comfortable with it all the time.

Deadsticking all the landings now - I think it is battery placement. One of the guys at the field flies with his battery all the way forward (just cables under the velcro strap) where I fly mine showing 3/8" battery aft of the strap - I KE easier and can deadstick it, he has a hard time on KE and says he can not comfortably deadstick.

Anyway, I remain a very happy Extra owner/pilot - love flying it - getting 2 to 5 flights every day.
Ya, I have been flying with my battery allt he way forward. It seems to fly better. I tried it just like yours but it floats to much. Does anyone have issues with snap rolls? Mine come out more like barrel rolls.

DonQ8401
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:25 PM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQ8401 View Post
Ya, I have been flying with my battery allt he way forward. It seems to fly better. I tried it just like yours but it floats to much. Does anyone have issues with snap rolls? Mine come out more like barrel rolls.

DonQ8401
Don, my Extra snaps reasonably well with the elevator set on low rates (80% deflection with 25% expo) at most speeds - if I set rates to full (100% deflection with 25% expo) it snaps very well.

Make sure and really hit the elevator before the rudder so that the wing is stalled.

My Extra flies wings stock (not reversed), Power 15, APC 12x6e, 3S 2200mAh 20C - a little extra weight due to gorilla glue repair of landing gear pulling out.

Because I am effectively flying a little aft cg from recommended, I have not moved the elevator rod on the clevis (still stock outermost hole on the clevis) as it is still very sensitive in pitch.

Rudder of course is the other ingredient to a snap roll, and I did change the rudder to one hole in on the clevis from the outermost (stock) location - just in the last couple days. But even before that, it snapped pretty well, and it spins pretty nice too with pro-spin control inputs.

The Lomcevak or Tumble is the next 'new' maneuver I will teach myself, along with the Avalanche (Loop with snap roll at top) during my practice session this afternoon.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:54 AM
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Reporting back in on the Lomcevak efforts yesterday. Tough maneuver to get right, very dependent on throttle setting.

First few attempts I pulled the throttle all the way out and it just ends up being a nice entry into an inverted spin - I was using the standard entry of a 45 degree upline then basically full down elevator, full right aileron and full left rudder.

With 30-50% throttle it would get two or three good tumbles in a very tight space and then recovery was straight down, it was fantastic - looked just like the big airshow routines. I was concerned that being an electric powered foamy that the Extra just didn't have the mass/inertia to get a good tumble going but it does OK.

I did have to turn up elevator throw on high rates (110% throw but still with 25% expo) to get a clean entry.

I ended up in a very brief KE spin by accident on one attempt, that was cool too.

There is a modified entry that starts on a KE on a 45 degree upline - once I get a little straighter with the KE I will try that entry too.

I finally settled on just painting all of the orange with a really sharp blue metallic that I found at the LHS yesterday - tested it on a spare cowling and really like the looks - once painted I will hit it with Valspar Polycrilic Gloss to protect it - I will post pics when complete - should be this weekend.