HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2011, 06:56 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,074 Posts
Yeah. I was not trying to bash RF, just trying to help someone who might need some advice.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2011, 09:23 PM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martimer View Post
Yeah. I was not trying to bash RF, just trying to help someone who might need some advice.
Me too, but I guess I inadvertently did.

My point is that no matter what the sim is, it's only good for the "fundamentals" and what a 'rule of thumb' flight regime for a given aircraft is going to do. No worries...
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Old Jan 14, 2011, 01:29 PM
Mahomet, IL
Joined Oct 2005
1,114 Posts
Hey guys,

Flap How To video up on the Horizon You Tube page.

http://www.youtube.com/horizonrcdotcom

HorizonHobby.com How To - Install Flaps on Your Stinson (10 min 28 sec)

John
John Redman is offline Find More Posts by John Redman
Old Jan 14, 2011, 02:58 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,809 Posts
Good to see you again John. Thanks for the tutorial. I have many flights with my Stinson using the flaps. Makes for easy, slow landings.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:01 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Horizon comes to my rescue.

Well I received all my bits and pieces to get my SR10 back in the air and was excited to see that brown UP&s truck stop out front since the shipment was delayed in Tenessee due to the snow storm up there.

But to my disappointment, I pulled the wing out of the box and it had a BIG crack i it. So I contacted Horizon before they closed and told them about it. They said no problem, another wing will be in the mail to you by Monday. Now that is what I call service. I probably wouldn't have worried to much about it and just re-enforced it with a carbon fiber rod, but it's right where the wing slides into the cabin and this is where the most stress will be on the wing.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:33 PM
Portland, OR
Joined May 2010
165 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen with my Stinson replacement wings. Horizon ended up replacing it 3 times before I got one that was not transport damaged.
davidrd is offline Find More Posts by davidrd
Old Jan 14, 2011, 06:57 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Don't want to seem like an alarmist, I fly my Stinson low and slow pretty much ALL of the time. It can do so quite well even WITHOUT the flaps, you just have to get a feel for what it's stall speed is. (And believe me it is pretty slow.)

You can cause a stall by over banking at slow speeds without flaps. Flaps just bring that down even slower, but because of how they generate lift it makes the plane a little easier to stall at lower bank angles as you are flying slower and generating less over-all lift ... I THINK! (I am NOT an expert!)

Anyhow, don't want to leave you thinking the Stinson is not a capable slow speed flyer. I ROUTINELY have it flying a figure 8 in a soccer field in front of me at a VERY slow speed. Keep the turns pretty flat and just enjoy the sight of it. VERY relaxing plane, and to be honest, very predictable, to me anyway.

Hope this helps clarify my earlier message a bit.

Marlin
Marlin,

You were saying in an earlier post that you have a 'hole' in your fleet where the T-28 perhaps should be.

Trust me, you do sir!

I like my Stinson a LOT - beautiful plane. And I've flown it every weekend since I got it.

My T-28 will actually fly slower and more leisurely (no tip stall worries either), when I keep my "wrist" out of the power. When I firewall it, though...look out!

Even the stock version is a great performer!

Do it! Do it now...

*OT mode off*
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:42 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
Marlin,

You were saying in an earlier post that you have a 'hole' in your fleet where the T-28 perhaps should be.

Trust me, you do sir!

I like my Stinson a LOT - beautiful plane. And I've flown it every weekend since I got it.

My T-28 will actually fly slower and more leisurely (no tip stall worries either), when I keep my "wrist" out of the power. When I firewall it, though...look out!

Even the stock version is a great performer!

Do it! Do it now...

*OT mode off*
How goes it?

Actually the HOLE is where my PZ Spitfire used to be! (I have not actually bought a T-28 ... yet) I augered in my spitty from quite a height after spending a bunch of time modding it up very nice. Complete right off. (It was -20C or colder, and it went straight in and hit on the only bare pavement in several hundred yards. Just a puff of foam and plastic, needed a broom and dust pan to get MOST of it off the pavement! No chance of saving anything but some of the servos, the ESC and MIRACULOUSLY the motor and motor mount!)

Might have to pick up a T-28 some day, but am looking around for a Spitty fuse somewhere.

In the mean time, I have been suffering from STINSON withdrawl. I like flying it off skis but we have been getting whacked with snow storms and cold weather. -26 C and windy with snow falling (a blizzard most of the time ) so even I am not crazy enough to fly in this stuff ... (well maybe tomorrow if the wind dies down a bit, been 2 weeks now and it's killing me! )

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Jan 15, 2011, 01:36 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Measurement to determine landing gear bend?

Hey folks -

I've not seen this question posited before...

To determine the landing gear bend correction after...ah...'not so good landings'

What is the height of the wing measured from the ground to where the red turns into white at the leading edge?

Mine shows ~10 1/2"

If anyone has never had a bouncy landing (yeah, right!), or otherwise has their Stinson "fresh out of the box" I'd like to hear what the 'spec' listed above is.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 05:43 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,698 Posts
I am about 3/4 finished with building Pat Tritles Stinson SR-10 short kit as an SR-7 with full paneled cockpit,seats, instrument panel and rudder pedals, etc. and have about a month to go at my pace. I went nuts and bought a PNP PZ SR-10 for my 72 birthday, so I can practice with flaps etc. The wing has two 1 inch 1/8 deep dings near the two plastic patches on top of the wing. The LHS guy has a replacement wing also with dings I decided to live with them. may try the covering iron and wet paper towel method of expanding the foam to fill the dings. I am using my 2220 3S lipos with Deans ultras so will change connector on esc to deans male. Will try an HS-55 for the single flap servo.
Will use my Hitec Eclipse 7 with 2.4 module and Optima 6 receiver. Gotta figure out how best to set up flaps with elevator mix. Have not seen one of these at Fairview Park, Costa Mesa yet. Hate to just throw away the huge box and plastic packing.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jan 15, 2011, 06:42 PM
St Louis, Mo
Joined Oct 2010
49 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the plug n play Stinson. My question is does the antenna have to stick out of the air frame on the DSM2 rx . I have an ar6100e and a DX6I.
K.Jones is offline Find More Posts by K.Jones
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:30 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Jones View Post
I'm thinking of getting the plug n play Stinson. My question is does the antenna have to stick out of the air frame on the DSM2 rx . I have an ar6100e and a DX6I.
No--for 2.4 GHz setup and your airframe is not Carbon Fiber, so you should be fine. I run the stock AR500 RX setup and nothing sticks out of the fuselage. I am not familiar with the AR6100e though--I would recommend a full range RX like an AR500 or AR600 (same price I think...), but you may be fine with your AR6100e, I just know some folks report range issues when they use the smaller "park-flyer only" setups.
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Old Jan 15, 2011, 08:40 PM
Mayday! Mayday!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2010
744 Posts
Landing Tips?

ALL,
I just maidened my Stinson today. REALLY LOVE THIS BIRD!! I am still a somewhat newbie to RC, but have lots of experience with PZ's T-28, P-51BL, Corsair and a few others. I really like the looks and flight characteristics of this plane.

My maiden was uneventful except for the cartwheel upon landing in taller than expected grass... It didn't do much damage visually to the plane at all, just bent the gear on one side ever so slightly--I was able to bend them back and you can't see a scratch. Man! Am I grateful for Z-foam!!!

My question for those experienced Stinson Flyers out there--can you cut the throttle on approach similar to the T-28 and Corsair, or do you really need to fly this one to the ground? It was fairly windy out today (and cold!) so I came in a little hot, probably applying 1/4 to 1/3 throttle (which contributed, not doubt to my cartwheel upon touchdown). I did attempt a last second flare--just not enough I guess--I'm sure it would have only been a slight bounce on pavement, but the grass didn't approve and grabbed my gear like sticky paper! Thanks for any insight

Note--Whirlybits--I would have answered your question, but now that I've maidened and bent my own gear...I can't be sure of their "stock integrity"--sorry--but hey, now I can relate!!
jpt1205 is offline Find More Posts by jpt1205
Last edited by jpt1205; Jan 15, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:06 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpt1205 View Post
Note--Whirlybits--I would have answered your question, but now that I've maidened and bent my own gear...I can't be sure of their "stock integrity"--sorry--but hey, now I can relate!!
Congrats on your maiden!

No worries - I would rather you maiden this fine bird, than not fly and get out the tape measure, FWIW.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:44 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
I've been ruminating on this 'newbie' thing this morning.

What determines when one is no longer a 'newbie?'

For the record, I've been in this hobby for about 2 years now, and most of my planes and UM helis are largely, or fully, intact.

So back to the question - here are some criteria...

1) You have experience in 6 different planes - but the parts in the corner are starting to build up

2) You put a plane together - check and re-check throws and surfaces. Your maiden is an afterthought due to diligence in preparation.

3) You have one or more planes with at least 50 flights on it, and no longer get 'butterflies' (much) when you put it in the air, because you know what it 'does.'

If your answer to question one is in the affirmative, yes, you're a 'newbie.' No worries - keep practicing.

If questions 2 and 3 are more your experience, congrats, you're no longer a 'newbie'...

...until you swing a 16 lb. 'pair' and get yourself into a situation that results in question one, due to exceeding the envelope of man or machine.
Then you're a 'newbie' again.