HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:27 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
Received my custom designed stickers, here are some quick images.

studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Sep 15, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:48 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I was finally able to spend some more time with my DG-1000 today and I got a bit more comfortable with it. It is definitely not an agile flyer. Small, steady inputs are the way to go. Large inputs are met with staunch resistence followed by abrupt compliance--like the plane is constantly 2 seconds behind your commands. The best way I've found so far to mostly fly the rudder. It will hold a decent, though not overly tight, thermal turn with rudder, elevator and a hint of opposite aileron. Once locked in it doesn't like to come out again so it also helps to counter-steer a bit when exiting a turn.

Not a bad flyer all in all. Just takes some getting used to.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:43 PM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
So I decided to take out the pod controller and just use radio programming to control the pod extend retract and then motor control.

Real simple of course on my SD-10g..

My question is that, people have lost this plane due to a electronic failure, was this due to the pod mixer control or other component?

Just curious.
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Who knows-go back and reread the thread.

I lost one, replaced under warranty, when a screw on the pod literally fell apart and the whole thing ate itself.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:09 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
The ones I remember sounded like BEC failures--lost of control, smoke--that sort of thing.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:55 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,653 Posts
3 times I have "lost control" but it was more of a over speed situation. When this ship gets going too fast the elevator and aileron feel like they quit working. The servo's are not strong enough or the foam just bends from the stress of high speed flight and yes I realize "high speed" for the DG does not really mean high speed.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:03 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
3 times I have "lost control" but it was more of a over speed situation. When this ship gets going too fast the elevator and aileron feel like they quit working. The servo's are not strong enough or the foam just bends from the stress of high speed flight and yes I realize "high speed" for the DG does not really mean high speed.
David, have you applied 3M packaging tape to any of the control surfaces? I'm just curious, I bet it might make a slight enhancement of control when maneuvers at more than designed speeds. I've still in need of maiden flight with mine, new computer Tx should be soon.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:12 PM
Seattle, WA, USA
Joined Oct 2005
53 Posts
I purchased one of these planes about two months ago, and have flown it three times. I didn't obviously expect much from a foam dg1000 with up and go for $149, and the quality when it arrived didn't exceed my expectations. However, the plane actually flew quite well - better than expected.

Unfortunately, after the fourth flight today, the cheapness of the construction has born its inevitable fruit. The boom will no longer deploy to the upright position. After investigating the cause, it turns out that the cheap plastic wheel, axle, and axle mount at the bottom of the boom has been bent forward too much from the (negligible) tension of the actuator string. When I hold the wheel in the correct position by using a small screwdriver to correctly hold the axle in position when the boom is activated, it deploys as it should. Without that, the string just bends the axle and wheel forward, and effectively jams the boom from deploying.

I'm not too surprised - as I said, I never had too great of expectations from this system. However, more than four flights would have been nice....
khughes is offline Find More Posts by khughes
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:29 PM
Space Cowboy
United States, CA, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Joined Jan 2007
1,123 Posts
That stinks only 4 flights, I think that programming that pod mixer is critical to ensuring a long life on that pod.

I didnt like the way the mixer worked as I have stated in my earlier posts, I had far more control in my radio and it used the same number of channels.

And my radio has saftey features built in that basically will not run the motor without the pod being out, If anyone is interested in SD-10g configuration for it let me know
ShoGinn is offline Find More Posts by ShoGinn
Old Oct 03, 2010, 09:24 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
That's too bad. Seems these are hit or miss. I've wondered how I would repair the RMS when it goes south. Looks like you'll need to literally saw the foam fuselage in half and extract the parts. Tower hobby doesn't list replacement parts but Hype in Germany does.

My hopes are still high for this little foam flyer scale sailplane, maybe just call it a day, keep the RMS retracted and slope soar it.
Modell Segelfliegen mit Hype DG-1000 in Braz - Lötsch (3 min 13 sec)
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:57 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
At $123 for a new RMS, I'll just order a new plane. I've repaired my RMS, and hopping the repair holds. If it doesn't, I've learned the in's and out's on this plane, come spring, I'll order a new DG, and have spare parts a plenty.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Oct 06, 2010, 08:55 AM
Joined Mar 2009
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
Just got back from maidening the DG-1000 while my son had soccer practice. The jury's still out. It wasn't perfect out of the box. Power was reasonable and climbouts were comfortably 30 degrees or so. With the high thrust line full throttle gives a considerable downward pitch moment on launch and really tames the climbing under throttle you'd expect from a powered glider. It needs a good shove with a decent up angle on launch to avoid pitching into the deck before you can get your fingers on the the elevator stick. I needed a couple of clicks of left rudder and a couple left aileron for straight flight. I also had to put in 6-7 clicks of up elevator on the maiden, but subsequently was able to take that out again after removing the last of the stock nose weights.

Set up according to the manual I found the model very sluggish in the roll axis, bordering on unresponsive actually (and, no, I wasn't trying to do aileron rolls). A couple of times I was giving it full aileron and it continued with wings level for several seconds as if to say "hold yer horses, Dude. I'll get to it in little bit". It really needs rudder and aileron to turn. I found it helpful to think somewhat backwards--turn with the rudder and coordinate with the ailerons. There were a couple buzzards circling overhead at one point and I got a little help from some light lift off and on. It indicated the lift well but was a bit of a hog to control in a thermal turn. It got up as high as I was comfortable with (parkflyer receiver, close to the airport, a nearby club field flying slimers half a mile away) then I was a little nervous about exiting the thermal too aggressively with the model's thin wings. It's certainly not one I would want bail out of lift in a hotliner-style dive from altitude. Turns out the pylon works great as a airbrake in the up position. Ditching the stock aileron y-harness and playing with spoilerons might be helpful there too.

The retracting pylon function was less than perfect too. Even after waiting several seconds after shutting the motor down about half the time the prop didn't stop in the proper position and the pylon failed to fully retract. Sometimes it was impossible to see the failure from the ground unless the prop was completely sideways across the fuse...which happened twice. Now I can see where some of the BEC failures may have come from. That's a full size retract servo operating the pylon. Having that puppy stalled on a failed retraction could really stress the linear BEC.

With the help of the available lift I flew for 30+ minutes from a total of five ~400ft climbouts on a single 1300mAh pack which came back down at 11.56V. There were also several minutes of low power-on cruising during the initial maiden flight. I think I just need to work with it some more. One battery is hardly enough to wring out the plane.

kendall
I've found that the best way to get out of a thermal relatively quickly without diving with a basic 4 channel sailplane is to apply just enough up elevator to cause repeated stalls until the altitude drops.

Robbie
robbiehatfield is offline Find More Posts by robbiehatfield
Old Oct 06, 2010, 11:58 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
At $123 for a new RMS, I'll just order a new plane. I've repaired my RMS, and hopping the repair holds. If it doesn't, I've learned the in's and out's on this plane, come spring, I'll order a new DG, and have spare parts a plenty.
I totally agree, the prices listed are out of this world high and shipping parts from Germany to USA would not be wise. At $149.99 from Towerhobies, best to buy another complete plane for spare parts, good idea.
Old Oct 06, 2010, 12:46 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
Yeah, and with the repeated sales from Tower that keep popping up, you can get one to your door for $129 if they're doing free shipping.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Oct 10, 2010, 02:49 AM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Greetings from down under.
This model has been available here for at least 2 years. I had one and literally flew it to
bits. The last flight was a "shot seagull" plunge with a broken spar while power/slope soaring over the sea. Foam, electronics and salt water dont mix !

Loved the DG1000 more for looks than actual flying ability. The rudder was pretty ineffective and the count to 5 before aileron inputs actually had something happening. I built a little rear trim tab extension for the rudder and had a 30% rudder / aileron mix which helped.
The major minus for me was the big change in pitch between motor pod up and
retracted, I think it was 13 clicks of trim either way. On reflection, now as I get to know more about set ups I should have done a elevator/ retract on mix 2.

Replaced with a ST Model ASW 28, upgraded with three cell 10/5 prop conversion as they were available at half the retail price of the DG 1000. But thats for another thread.
Now that DG 1000 is about the same price, may buy another. Gee with pod retracted
and light winds they looked so beaut on a low pass.
Loved the Decal scheme in an earlier post by the way...OK to copy ?

Currently have a Super Dimona Motor Glider , a new Minimoa to sort out (boy was that a handfull on its maiden) and a new Diamond 2500 on the right hand (glider side) of the garage.

Keep the posts going, love to hear of your experiences.
Regards
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51